Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building new machine

This is a discussion on Building new machine within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ain't built one in a while so I'm out of date with technologies. This is spec I'm planning... thoughts improvements ...
Page: 1

Ain't built one in a while so I'm out of date with technologies. This is spec I'm planning... thoughts improvements welcome

Code:
    Gigabyte motherboard
    (to support DDR3, 1333Mhz, 4GB / more RAM, RAID (preferably), SATA 3GB/s, P45 CPU - not sure on model yet

2gb 1333mhz ram ddr3

Dual 500gb sata hdd 16mb cache 7.2k rpm (prolly Wester Digital ones or seagate)

150 GB sata hdd 16mb 10k rpm (operating system)

Quad Core QX6850 CPU

Geforce GTX8800 Graphics Card

700W+ PSU (thermal take modular PSU)

I don't plan on using Vista (YET) I don't like the operating system . It's going to be running Windows XP Pro (mebbe)
    I'm not 100% sure on op system yet

It's going to run as DHCP , F*P Server, Web Server, Mail Server, Gaming PC and build for multimedia (not all at once obv)
    Don't rally think it will need SCSI hdd because sata and quad cores are fast enough anyway IMO :lol:

I was tempted to keep the ram but double up on graphics cards. I don't want to use liquid cooling as I'm firm believer in water + electric but would consider it

sexa

clearly that pc will need 4gb of rams and RAID enabled if ftp and other things is going to be used actively.

clearly that pc will need 4gb of rams and RAID enabled if ftp and other things is going to be used actively.[/b]
    Not actively , just for home networking

The website wouldn't have many users active, because it's mainly for me to increase my IT skills.

RAID - Not to bothered about , although if the motherboard has it enabled would make it a bonus because the secondary 500gb hdd will be used for backup. FTP , isn't much either, that's easy to setup.

3thos

if you can, get SLI graphic cards (dual gcards)

and change out the quad core to dual core because it is raping quad core in all the tests and is just overall better.

you might as well just put it at 4gb of ram because you can, other then that, decent computer, sounds just like mine.

if you can, get SLI graphic cards (dual gcards)

and change out the quad core to dual core because it is raping quad core in all the tests and is just overall better.

you might as well just put it at 4gb of ram because you can, other then that, decent computer, sounds just like mine. [/b]
    I thought the GTX880 was an SLi card or SLI capable

Damn too many abbeviations to rmemeber now <_<

I can&#39;t compare regarding the quad core / dual core argument all my choices are based on results I&#39;ve seen . Only + side to dual core is it&#39;s cheaper than quad by a mile. I&#39;d imagine when coding becomes used more for the cores on the CPU they&#39;d stretch their legs and show their trust power.

I can see it&#39;s going to end up being vista to use DX10 but i REALLY REALLY hate vista . I haven&#39;t decided on memory yet, but it&#39;s so cheap to buy anyway I could really dump more in

Thanks for comments btw, I&#39;ll read more up on the SLI, dual cores.

MillionVoices

Ain&#39;t built one in a while so I&#39;m out of date with technologies. This is spec I&#39;m planning... thoughts improvements welcome

Code:
    Gigabyte motherboard
    (to support DDR3, 1333Mhz, 4GB / more RAM, RAID (preferably), SATA 3GB/s, P45 CPU - not sure on model yet

2gb 1333mhz ram ddr3

Dual 500gb sata hdd 16mb cache 7.2k rpm (prolly Wester Digital ones or seagate)

150 GB sata hdd 16mb 10k rpm (operating system)

Quad Core QX6850 CPU

Geforce GTX8800 Graphics Card

700W+ PSU (thermal take modular PSU)
    I don&#39;t plan on using Vista (YET) I don&#39;t like the operating system . It&#39;s going to be running Windows XP Pro (mebbe)
    I&#39;m not 100% sure on op system yet

It&#39;s going to run as DHCP , F*P Server, Web Server, Mail Server, Gaming PC and build for multimedia (not all at once obv)
    Don&#39;t rally think it will need SCSI hdd because sata and quad cores are fast enough anyway IMO :lol:

I was tempted to keep the ram but double up on graphics cards. I don&#39;t want to use liquid cooling as I&#39;m firm believer in water + electric but would consider it[/b]
    QX6850 is $1000 unless you plan to OC it to 5 ghz dont bother. Thats what its made for.

Buy a Q6600 G0 Stepping for $299 and you can easily take it to 3.4 -3.6 eqauling the 6850

What mobo your gettign the ASUS Ak-5 series? its like 250+ for the DDR3 edition

What cooling do you plan to get?

3thos

I thought the GTX880 was an SLi card or SLI capable

Damn too many abbeviations to rmemeber now <_<

I can&#39;t compare regarding the quad core / dual core argument all my choices are based on results I&#39;ve seen . Only + side to dual core is it&#39;s cheaper than quad by a mile. I&#39;d imagine when coding becomes used more for the cores on the CPU they&#39;d stretch their legs and show their trust power.

I can see it&#39;s going to end up being vista to use DX10 but i REALLY REALLY hate vista . I haven&#39;t decided on memory yet, but it&#39;s so cheap to buy anyway I could really dump more in

Thanks for comments btw, I&#39;ll read more up on the SLI, dual cores.[/b]
    the GTX8800 is SLI capable, and since it is you might as well get two of them.

The quad core / dual core argument is clear but it all depends on what you plan on doing.

is DX10 only vista capable? If not go windows xp, vista is soooooooooooo bad, on ram my motto is "its xxxbucks more for 2gb, throw it in"

QX6850 is $1000 unless you plan to OC it to 5 ghz dont bother. Thats what its made for.

Buy a Q6600 G0 Stepping for $299 and you can easily take it to 3.4 -3.6 eqauling the 6850

What mobo your gettign the ASUS Ak-5 series? its like 250+ for the DDR3 edition

What cooling do you plan to get?[/b]
    I don&#39;t plan on doing any overclocking, well I will probably atleast overclock a small bit. I choose it because it&#39;s the fastest rated CPU without overclocking. You don&#39;t need to overclock to get their benefits afaik I prefer stability.

More specs on stepping, any links, and for that price it sounds shite. I didn&#39;t want ASUS (was considering them) however I read the asus motherboard only support Q6600 edition rather than Q6800 etc

Cooling will just be large fans. I&#39;m not too worried about the noise because they&#39;ll be in my bedroom anyway. Prolly 20cm fan and a few on sides.

the GTX8800 is SLI capable, and since it is you might as well get two of them.

The quad core / dual core argument is clear but it all depends on what you plan on doing.

is DX10 only vista capable? If not go windows xp, vista is soooooooooooo bad, on ram my motto is "its xxxbucks more for 2gb, throw it in"[/b]
    I&#39;m glad if it wasn&#39;t I&#39;d be pissed at spending that money. I&#39;ll expand with two cards at alater date. At moment I just want nice stable all round pc for graphics and games. When I&#39;m into more performance I&#39;ll go dual sli. As said above it&#39;s going to be running a lot of things. Dual core would most likely suffice but I&#39;m a whore for getting them done quick hence quad core.

YES, DX10 is only supported via vista from what I&#39;ve read. Although I&#39;m trying to hang on to see if it gets the coding cracked on DX10 or Winxp (it will eventually. I know aabout how bad vista is believe me , the interface is very shit and the drivers aren&#39;t even setup . I&#39;ll agree on memory. It will probs only cost me about £70 for another 2 gb.

MillionVoices

Q6600 is stable at 3.4-3.6 and unstable at 4.0, but you&#39;ll need good cooling. Only AIR FAN that can handle it is ULTRA CHILLTEC.

your goona pay 800$ more for same shit? w.e its ur $$

the only ppl who buy the EXTREME EDITION are people who have no knowlegde of computers or insane servers and super computers apps, because the extreme edition has unlocked MULTIPlIERS, so they OC it to extreme numbers.

Also Q6600 was 500 b4 JULY 22nd after that INTEL made 50% price cuts on like 3/4 of their proccesros. Only the EXTREME EDITIONS stayed the same price.

Anyways do your research on the QX6850..Google it and c benches and all.

MillionVoices

also i suggest go post this on a major overclocking forums, the ppl there know what their talking about.

Q6600 is stable at 3.4-3.6 and unstable at 4.0, but you&#39;ll need good cooling. Only AIR FAN that can handle it is ULTRA CHILLTEC.

your goona pay 800$ more for same shit? w.e its ur $$

the only ppl who buy the EXTREME EDITION are people who have no knowlegde of computers or insane servers and super computers apps, because the extreme edition has unlocked MULTIPlIERS, so they OC it to extreme numbers.

Also Q6600 was 500 b4 JULY 22nd after that INTEL made 50% price cuts on like 3/4 of their proccesros. Only the EXTREME EDITIONS stayed the same price.

Anyways do your research on the QX6850..Google it and c benches and all.[/b]
    The thing what I&#39;m trying to get across here. I do not intend to build an over clocked PC. Merely want to use high end components for fast realiable speed. I know I can get a way faster PC by overclocking but that&#39;s not the build I&#39;m aiming for.

I&#39;d prefer getting a specification FASTER or BETTER than the one I&#39;ve thought of WITHOUT overclocking.
    (cooling can be changed tho)

As for price to build, it&#39;s somewhere around $3000 total I&#39;ve never really bothered checking. Probs $2500 if i look around for parts

On a side note, the quad cores and number crunching ability of the cpu, ram and graphics card will be useful as Im going to start using AutoCAD again so heavy on cad work

Basically I&#39;m building the PC to handle anything I chuck at it and more. I&#39;ve had a go of a pc running dual core with 1 gb ram and it was bloody fast (altho it was vista shite), I&#39;d love to try a go at quad cores to reduce load times and faster access times.

MillionVoices

The thing what I&#39;m trying to get across here. I do not intend to build an over clocked PC. Merely want to use high end components for fast realiable speed. I know I can get a way faster PC by overclocking but that&#39;s not the build I&#39;m aiming for.

I&#39;d prefer getting a specification FASTER or BETTER than the one I&#39;ve thought of WITHOUT overclocking.
    (cooling can be changed tho)

As for price to build, it&#39;s somewhere around $3000 total I&#39;ve never really bothered checking. Probs $2500 if i look around for parts

On a side note, the quad cores and number crunching ability of the cpu, ram and graphics card will be useful as Im going to start using AutoCAD again so heavy on cad work

Basically I&#39;m building the PC to handle anything I chuck at it and more. I&#39;ve had a go of a pc running dual core with 1 gb ram and it was bloody fast (altho it was vista shite), I&#39;d love to try a go at quad cores to reduce load times and faster access times.[/b]
    then wait for the real quad cores in JANURY 2008. All the Q6600 and QX6850 same arhictecture.

They all the same components, qx6850 is just an overlcoked edition for you lol.

Anyways like i said its your $$. You will get same exact perfromance from both. Its same compnents on each chip, all high end. lol

You say overclocking like its some task lol. you jsut go to bios and enter a number, and thats it.

Yeah I just have my superstitions about overclocking

one of my pc is overclocked anyway so I&#39;m familar with doing it, I just prefer not to

I&#39;ll wait until jan , gotta save up for xmas anyway , then i can build the pc next year get some real games performance with fraps for a change finally make my pk vid

MillionVoices

i know ppl who owns QUADS atm and they say they are amazing.

Are they heavy gamers, cad workers, anything like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast