Buying a Laptop

This is a discussion on Buying a Laptop within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; So... my desktop freid, my old desktop ran KO pretty smoothly, i had a few DC problems but it loaded ...
Page: 1

So... my desktop freid, my old desktop ran KO pretty smoothly, i had a few DC problems but it loaded fast and ran very well.

i had 512 MB ram 2.6 ghz DUAL processor and 256MB graphics card.

so it fucked up and im gona get a laptop.

my mum has a laptop and it doesnt really run KO very well

however this computer has 512 MB ram 64MB graphics card adn 2.6ghz procesor (not dual) it runs KO well and lag free, and DC free.

my mums laptop has 1.4 ghz DUAL laptop 1gb of ram and INTERGATED graphics up to 256MB.

technically her laptop should run faster than this computer however it doesnt and it takes like 5 times to load KO at the lloading screen (efects data etc).

maybe its the intergrated graphics im not sure, it looks that way as other computers wiht similar specs or lesser specs run it OK if they have a graphics card.

im onyl geting a low cost laptop with relativly low specs but...

do u think its worth paying to get one with a graphics card ?

VerHom

get any laptop with a 128mb card. It doesnt take much more than that for ko

Compaq, Presario is a very nice pc brand, I love it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1204332500561

* AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology TL-60* for AMD dual-core technology in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**
    * 2GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 3GB
    * Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

* AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance; AMD64 technology provides simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit computing
    * 15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display with BrightView technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
    * 250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    * NVIDIA GeForce 7000M graphics with up to 335MB total available shared graphics memory; S-video TV-out; Altec Lansing audio
    * 5-in-1 digital media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card
    * 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer
    * Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; high-speed 56 Kbps modem
    * Weighs 5.7 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin for easy portability; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter
    * Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled; software package included with HP Photosmart Essentials, muvee autoProducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite and more
    * Learn more about Windows Vista
    * AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Turion, AMD PowerNow!, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

*Model number indicates relative mobility and performance among this AMD processor class.
    * **AMD's Enhanced Virus Protection provides additional protection against buffer overflow viruses. AMD and its partners strongly recommend you continue to use third-party anti-virus software as part of your total security solution.

At a low $679.99.

Although this one is nice also..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2511

evilwevel

i think you'd have to search pretty hard to find a laptop that can't play KO :lol:

just use cable for playing games, wireless is a big nono if you don't want to disconnect alot.

`

the graphics is Intel media graphics accalorater.

i think its not giving enough Graphics ram to the game i dunno.

i realy just wanted to know if il be alright with intergrated graphics.

evilwevel

i would go for any toshiba, they don't cost that much and they don't break down as much as Dell.

hej

As i wrote many time before, if your going to pay game don't buy a laptop, they are not made for it and for the same amount off money you get a faster reg pc.

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

The main things to check if you're going to get a laptop for playing games, are these:

Does the Video Card Manufacturer provide DIRECT driver downloads for the model of graphics card which will be in your laptop?

ATI specifically DON'T provide drivers for their laptop model video cards. They instead get the laptop vendor (e.g. Dell, Asus, Lenovo) to write their own drivers. This can cause HELL with games, as the laptop vendors never seem in a rush to update the drivers they provide.

Is the Video Card reasonably future-proof?

Upgrading components in a laptop is notoriously difficult. Hard drives and RAM are generally upgradeable (to a point), but your video card is pretty much fixed, so make sure you're getting one with a decent amount of video ram and which is "high-end" for current standards. Not necessarily just on pure speed, but also on supported features.