Comp rebooting now and then

This is a discussion on Comp rebooting now and then within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hello! I just installed a brand new motherboard, cpu and sound-card yesterday, and now i'm getting random reboots from time ...
Page: 1

Hello! I just installed a brand new motherboard, cpu and sound-card yesterday, and now i'm getting random reboots from time to time(every thing from like 3-5hrs). I'm thinking it might be my power supplayer but im not quite sure. if one of you guys could help me out i'd be happy!

evilwevel

get speedfan or something like that to monitor all your temperatures. could be due to heat.

did you put enough thermal paste between the cpu and the cpu cooler ?

Have you setupt he computer to create minidump files when it crashes ?

It's not because of the heat. I got speedfan installed on my comp and it dosent indicate any problems.

And i dont think so Puggy....

PS: my comp havent been rebooting for the last 3hrs so ill post an update when it dose.

evilwevel

remember that microsoft's products sometimes like to fuck with you and just do random stuff.

win 7 build 7048 would give a blue screen if you would wake your computer from standby.

the odd thing is i dont even blue screen it's just like i would press the reset button on my comp. it just turns of and on.

ILoveYouToo

more than likely your power supply. I just bought a new one. I'll sell you my old 500w psu one for 30 bucks. I've only had it for 2 months and the only reason i bought a new one is because i need more than 500w to overclock my pc

my power supply is a 600w one... i wouldnt really think i needed any more?

evilwevel

600W is fine. i've got 500 and i'm doing great.

Did you turn off auto reboot ?

If no go to /System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery uncheck auto restart

Had the same thing a while back the above thing helped

havent checked that ill do it asap (when i get back home) thx alot

Does it do it while you are active on the computer or is it when you go idle?

it happens when im gaming
    it happens when im afk (with nothing but msn etc running but no games or something that would drain my system)

I'm still getting random reboots/blue screens.

Blue screen is saying check if the things you have intalled are properly installed, check if you have updated vista.

so far i've updated my drivers with the drivers from the cd i got when i bought em... and vista seem up 2 date..

It's easy to find out is your power supply big enough. Download a motherboard monitor tool, run some game,KO is good enough to test (many parts of your computer can go idle if they aren't used, they saving energy).

Then, check the voltages. The maximum acceptable tolerance is +-10%, so if your 5V is betveen 4,5 and 5,5 volts, its OK.
    Check all the voltages, not only the 5V.
    If everything seems ok, check temperature. Electronic parts consume more power if they are hot.