Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

computer making a weird noise

This is a discussion on computer making a weird noise within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Well I am first of all very frustrated because I purchased this computer off of craigslist and I have either ...
Page: 1

FisherySociety

Well I am first of all very frustrated because I purchased this computer off of craigslist and I have either had a hit or miss there. So i go to install it everything works just fine, I open a game and I hear this loud fan noise or what it seems to sound to me as or as coming from the hard drive. There is two things I have found out it only happens when I am playing a game or formatting the hard drive. I just bought a brand new video card and hard drive with in the past month and I am tired of wasting money. I really hope someone could help me out here I have pretty much come to the consensus that its the psu or the cpu otherwise i have absolutely no idea.

Strike

depending on how old the computer is it could be the hard drive running at max speed or the cpu fan. if it only does the noise when the cpu is doing something that max's it out then it might be a noisey HD or a bad fan. try playing around with some other programs to find out when it does it and have the task manager open to see what % your cpu usage is and what proccess are taking up the most %.

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

could also be dust blocking off vents in the computer case. causing overheating and full force fan speed

FisherySociety

Checked all fans and removed 2 extras i had laying on the bottom of the case for cooling. I checked the cpu fan and it was clean the noise happened both when i was formatting and inside of games, which makes things weird. Because then it technically should be the hard drive, but i just bought a brand new 100 dollar hard drive that seeks at low times and it supposed to be silent. I don't know it just may be I am really unlucky and might want to start a new build, this seems to be cursed.

And the hard drive is not running at the max nor is the cpu inside of ko its a 50%. But that is a good point and I had not even thought about that myself.

Banned

It's probably your video card. During formatting you don't have drivers for GPU, so to prevent overheating it runs at 100% fan by default.
    And games put more strain on video than usual = requires more cooling. If your case airflow is poor or the gpu fan is full of dust, it heats up and the fan starts running faster to compensate and to keep temperatures at normal.
    What really pisses me off is that in KO server select screen it hits video usage to 100%, whereas in rest of Ko it's about at 20% or so. It's like a stress test. In few minutes my video can go up to 100 C and the fan will spin at max speed. Like a fucking turbine. I sometimes have to spend more time at server select screen due to no prem and it really gets on my nerves. K2 should consider a frame rate limiter :|

PS: KO uses only 50% of the processor because it doesn't support multi-core processors, thus using only 1 core.

SocialParasite Senior Member Kronos's Avatar

Is that Radeon hd4850/70 with one-slot cooling? I got one and to play games like medieval 2:total war I have to use headphones

Banned

U might actually consider the power supply as well. I run into alot of noisy PS's ussually caused by dust inside the fan assebly. I woulnd't advise tryin to open the PS up unless you have some technical background. Depending on how much wattage u need, Antec PS's 400W units can be had for pretty cheap now-a-days.

FisherySociety

U might actually consider the power supply as well. I run into alot of noisy PS's ussually caused by dust inside the fan assebly. I woulnd't advise tryin to open the PS up unless you have some technical background. Depending on how much wattage u need, Antec PS's 400W units can be had for pretty cheap now-a-days.[/b]
    Thank you Sanctis, I am actually planning on purchasing a new case and power supply next eventually ill just have a brand new computer.

Key421

usually when my cpu, goes crazy is when the system idle process is trying to "calm the comuter down" if that makes sense.

Banned

Thank you Sanctis, I am actually planning on purchasing a new case and power supply next eventually ill just have a brand new computer.[/b]
    ^_^

R.I.P Impulsive Senior Member jaspreet's Avatar

if your thinking about getting a new case and Power Supply, depending on your budget, you can get a 750 watt suppy for like $100-120 and a really nice case for about $100. here i'll show you that one i have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NZXT-LEXA-BLACKLIN...93%3A1|294%3A50

FisherySociety

if your thinking about getting a new case and Power Supply, depending on your budget, you can get a 750 watt suppy for like $100-120 and a really nice case for about $100. here i'll show you that one i have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NZXT-LEXA-BLACKLIN...93%3A1|294%3A50[/b]
    Nice case, however they do have a combination deal on newegg for a raidmax smildon and a 530 watt power supply for 110 or 120. Not looking to spend a fortune on parts as I do work fast food. Thank you for the reply though that is a very nice looking case, I imagine its quite large and heavy as well.

bq79jr

yes my dell xps 400 does the same. i'm pretty sure its just the cooling fan out of place on the inside. ive just learned to live with it because it does not bother me that bad. try using a pressure sprayer to clear out some of the dust or something.

evilwevel

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.ph...s&id=15137#

is a nice case + PS combo.

and it has a dust filter behind the front intakes, i've had this case for almost a year now and i can't really see any dust inside the case (which is quite good considering it's on the floor and running about 5-6 hours a day min. )

german

Well I am first of all very frustrated because I purchased this computer off of craigslist and I have either had a hit or miss there. So i go to install it everything works just fine, I open a game and I hear this loud fan noise or what it seems to sound to me as or as coming from the hard drive. There is two things I have found out it only happens when I am playing a game or formatting the hard drive. I just bought a brand new video card and hard drive with in the past month and I am tired of wasting money. I really hope someone could help me out here I have pretty much come to the consensus that its the psu or the cpu otherwise i have absolutely no idea.[/b]
    same problem here
    i bought new computer
    and when i am in login screen of ko
    or other game
    i have wierd noise
    but when i am ingame
    i dont

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast