CPU Dual Core Overheating (Core 1)

This is a discussion on CPU Dual Core Overheating (Core 1) within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Well when i run KO ofc being dual core it only takes up 1 core.. But my temp rises to ...
Page: 1

Well when i run KO ofc being dual core it only takes up 1 core.. But my temp rises to about 60C and computer crashes.

Is there a way to make KO run from core 2? Or something to stop it overheating?

I took off the fan, scraped off the old paste and re applied arctic silver thermal paste.. Its still crashing.

Is this a faulty chip? Also in BIOS i cant change the fan speed, its locked.. Ive read around about it, people have talked about cutting wires and getting 3 pin - 4 pin connectors but its all confusing for me.

Im running a Intel E8400 Dual Core @ 3.00Ghz

Will it let you switch to the other core in your Task Manager?

ILoveYouToo

You might just need to install another fan for the cpu. They're pretty cheap. If that doesn't cool it down then it's probably the processor itself

Community Nazı Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

60°C is nowhere near overheating, they can handle up to 90 if not more, I highly doubt it crashes due to overheating. If I had to guess, it's most likely your PSU or even the graphics card... hell maybe even the RAM.

Well i took it to my mate, he said they shut down at 65C, so he put new thermal paste on and it doesnt go above 45C now, Im using a Antec 900 Case (200mm fan at the top, 2 X 120mm on the front with the HDD with 1 120mm behind it, 90mm on the side and another 120mm fan on the back) with the power supply and cpu fan ofc so i think im pretty set with fans.

Im using the 9800GTX + gfx card, it doesnt overheat :P

Would RAM cause only KO to crash? Or would it crash at other times also? Cause it only happens when KO is running

Though KO is still crashing!! So im guessing its having conflict with another program, ive tried switching everything off and un installing anything i dont use anymore.. I really dont want to re format, has anyone else had this problem?

Do you have the latest Drivers?

Do you have the latest Drivers?[/b]
    Yep But i doubt having wrong drivers would cause crashing though? If it wasnt doing it 2 weeks ago.. Ive done a system restore and its still crashing, reinstalled KO and its still crashing

Do you have the latest Drivers?[/b]
    Yep But i doubt having wrong drivers would cause crashing though? If it wasnt doing it 2 weeks ago.. Ive done a system restore and its still crashing, reinstalled KO and its still crashing

Well i took it to my mate, he said they shut down at 65C[/b]
    BS; I had my OC'd E8500 run at 90°C for several hours when my cooling first died, it never shut down. Even my old P4 went into hybernation only once it reached its 115°C.

Im using the 9800GTX + gfx card, it doesnt overheat :P
    [/b]
    I'm using the 9800 myself, and yes.. it does overheat. Make sure it's fan is clean and spins correctly.

Would RAM cause only KO to crash? Or would it crash at other times also? Cause it only happens when KO is running[/b]
    Depends, KO is mainly depending on CPU and RAM, try running benchmarks while measuring your temperatures.

Though KO is still crashing!! So im guessing its having conflict with another program, ive tried switching everything off and un installing anything i dont use anymore.. I really dont want to re format, has anyone else had this problem?[/b]
    As said before, I highly doubt it to be the CPU. After all, you should run some stress tests on it (search overclock.net or google for those) and even benchmarks for the GPU, if the crashing still occurs whilst running those programs, you'll know its your hardware... otherwise, its a system malifunction, if thats the case run dxdiag and eventuall re-install the graphic cards drivers + directx

From the sounds of it though, I tend to believe that it's either the PSU or RAM tbh, if it was the graphic card the PC would still run on for a few seconds/minutes with a black screen.

Also, I'd be guessing you're running Vista? Just create an additional Partition by going to: Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management. Once that done, you can just move over all the files you think to be neccessary or want to keep and securely reformat your main partition without any loss of files.
    If using XP, download partition Magic.

BS; I had my OC'd E8500 run at 90°C for several hours when my cooling first died, it never shut down. Even my old P4 went into hybernation only once it reached its 115°C.

I'm using the 9800 myself, and yes.. it does overheat. Make sure it's fan is clean and spins correctly.
    Depends, KO is mainly depending on CPU and RAM, try running benchmarks while measuring your temperatures.
    As said before, I highly doubt it to be the CPU. After all, you should run some stress tests on it (search overclock.net or google for those) and even benchmarks for the GPU, if the crashing still occurs whilst running those programs, you'll know its your hardware... otherwise, its a system malifunction, if thats the case run dxdiag and eventuall re-install the graphic cards drivers + directx

From the sounds of it though, I tend to believe that it's either the PSU or RAM tbh, if it was the graphic card the PC would still run on for a few seconds/minutes with a black screen.
    Also, I'd be guessing you're running Vista? Just create an additional Partition by going to: Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management. Once that done, you can just move over all the files you think to be neccessary or want to keep and securely reformat your main partition without any loss of files.
    If using XP, download partition Magic.[/b]
    No im against Vista Im even against sp 3 XP but i got that somehow through auto update >_< And the computer still runs, it just says "No Signal" on my screen. I tried doing a system restore which just fucked everything up, I cant open KO, all the data files are missing, and i cant uninstall it cause there is some file missing....

At first i thought it was the GPU, so i just put the fan speed to 50% which kept the card at 36C, and its a 9800GTX+ (best heat sync on the market) and its not faulty. I also google&#39;d E8400 overheating and i came across a post about someone saying theres hit 65C and shut down.. but mines staying at 41 - 45C now.

Tomorrow when i get home ill reformat and if KO still wants to be a bitch its gotta be the RAM.

Could a mobo play any part in the crash?

Btw i was using SpeedFan, Rivatuner and another program, forgot the name, was lost in the restore :P

Just ran a benchmark and stabilty test on the GPU, didnt crash, got an average of 60fps. Started the stability test at 60C and didnt go over 73C.

I ran benchmark on my CPU and got 22.13 seconds. Dont know if thats good or bad though haha

Just ran "Performance Test 7.0" on everything, got an overall passmark of 1374.6.

CPU mark : 2058.4

2D Gfx : 707.3

3D Gfx : 2277.3

Memory Mark : 919.2

Dont know what any of that means, But im guessing its reformat for me if it didnt crash?

And the computer still runs, it just says "No Signal" on my screen.[/b]
    Does the computer run or the display?

If the screen just goes black, but the CPU and fans keep on running, it&#39;s most definately the graphic card. Have you tried re-installing the drivers and directX?
    Do you happen to have an old graphic card lying around somewhere you could test? Best bet is to take out single hardware parts and replace it, starting with the graphic card.. if you still experience crashes after replacing it, you&#39;ll know its something else, according to your description though, it does sound like the GPU overheating.

Hypnos

Run a memtest86 (memory test) and Prime95 (CPU test) torture test. This might be a hardware problem, and either one of these tests will let you know something is up.

If those don&#39;t show anything, start looking at the graphics card (both drivers and hardware) like schrotti said.

You can pick what core KO runs in, but you shouldn&#39;t have to. Bring up task manager, right click the KO process and set the affinity.

CeFurkan

60 C never let crush any intel cpu decent
    so you have some other problems i am pretty sure

i make my cpu even 80C not crush or reset
    i have q6600

and i had e4300 it wasnt crushing too