Restoring

This is a discussion on Restoring within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ive made many posts about my computer...but i have no other option... Is it possible to back up my C ...
Page: 1

Ive made many posts about my computer...but i have no other option...

Is it possible to back up my C drive then i could reinstall my windows and when i get back on windows after installing to put all my files back on my new windows ?

Strike

it is possible but you would most likely just copy the virus onto the fresh install, thus wasting your time. its best just to format C: and re-download everything again.

i did notice that you said you didn't have a virus scanner at first, what do you have for a virus scanner now? if you don't have one do you have a second computer(or a friend that does) with a usb drive?

how do you format the C:

And right now i dont have a virus scanner because i cant download anything. like right when i click the run or save button the download is done right away so thats why im reinstalling windows.

Banned

Make backup folder. Put it on your ipod or some sort of shit like that and reformat.

Strike

how do you format the C:

And right now i dont have a virus scanner because i cant download anything. like right when i click the run or save button the download is done right away so thats why im reinstalling windows.[/b]
    you never answered my other question 'bout the second computer because if you do have one or have a friend you can probally save the drive without having to re-install windows.

no.

Strike

Then you can make a list files that you REALLY want to keep. forget the music and just re-download and look to save any pics or other files you might want to a folder on your desktop named backup1(name it whatever you want, just a suggestion).

Keep the folder size to about 600-650mb (if you have more files than that you want to save then create another folder and name it something different).

DO NOT save anything that had to do with what caused your problem in the first place.

Now copy the folder(s) to a CD-R or a CD-RW and keep them in a safe place. OR if you have a USB flash drive that's large enough just save the folder(s) to that.

Now make sure you can re-install Windows completely before proceding. (I'm guessing you have the disk but it won't hurt to double check)

click START -----> RUN and type cmd in the box that appears.
    This should bring up your DOS prompt.
    then type: format C:
    now re-install Windows and all your files again.

But i would look into if you can get someone to download the installer to a virus scanner and save it to a CD-R/RW, flash drive, iPod, ect.. and try installing the v.s. that way first.

how do you format the C:[/b]
    Insert the original windows CD that came with your computer when you bought it, or just get a pirated version. Note: if you bought your computer from certain brands like Acer, it doesnt come with a windows CD, but instead, an Acer recovery disk... use that, they would both reformat your C drive.

When you turn on the computer, go to boot options or w/e its called, and choose Boot from Disk...... and then keep pressing OK and shits, and it'll eventually start reformating your C drive. Nothing else in other drives will be deleted btw.

whats the difference between reinstalling windows and reformatting C:

Banned

Isn't that the same thing?!?

Just put all files you want to keep into backup folder. Put backup folder on ipod then reformat then plug ipod in and get your files from your ipod O_O

I have no clue i am just guessing

i put my shit on the E: so i wanna know whats the difference...?

Strike

if this thing tells me to log back in 1 more time i&#39;m gonna flip out ><.

reinstall can sometimes leave the virus on your comp since it doesnt delete everything. it does this to speed up the reinstall time.
    formatting deletes everything.

i&#39;m sure someone will post the specific differences but its too late for me to go into detail and my patience has run thin as this is the third time i&#39;m trying to post a reply here... so gn :P

E: drive :blink: ?? you&#39;re hard drive is partitioned or is that what your primary drive is called?

Seekor

actually if you delete the partition and make a new partition it deletes everything. Because it wipes everything and then installs the basic windows files, I would recommend doing this myself. Just put in your windows disk click install windows when it finds your previous version of windows press delete or "D" key. Then press enter on the unpartitioned space and then install windows on it the rest is self explanatory.

E: drive :blink: ?? you&#39;re hard drive is partitioned or is that what your primary drive is called?[/b]
    my E: is my CD-RW drive is it safe to keep all my stuff there and redo everythin?

Strike

you will not be able to save everything since most CD&#39;s can only hold about 700mb of data so you are going to have to decide what files are the most important to save.

you are going to probally need 2 blank CDs that are labeled CD-R or CD-RW so that you can store the files there. CD-R are cheaper so i would use these unless you have some blank CD-RWs lying around.