ethernet port help

This is a discussion on ethernet port help within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; well yesterday a lightning bolt struck the transformer a few feet from my house * mad randy* then my pc ...
Page: 1

poiz3n

well yesterday a lightning bolt struck the transformer a few feet from my house * mad randy* then my pc goes out
    not everything went out in the house, mostly my room and 1st floor. So when con ed came and fixed it, i turn my pc on and it says my lan cable isnt connected
    so i pluged it to a diffrent computer location, and still doesnt work
    so im wondering if my ethernet port got fried, cuz i tried diff cables, and it just tells me its not connected
    can i buy a replacement ethernet port or do i gotta use like a router for it?

Banned Senior Member

If the cable wont work anywhere in the house, the lightning probably fried your modem. Try looking at the modem for it's activity lights, It will usually have a light thats on when there is internet going in/out of the modem. If that light isn't on, then theres something wrong with the modem or the line coming into your house. If the light is there and working, then theres a problem between the modem and your PC's

poiz3n

everything works fine on modem, it tells me my pc is on and connected but my pc cant get the net from it says lan cable is unplugged in all locations of my house
    i connected pc to 3 diff locations to 3 diff cables non work, but the crappy pc im using atm works so im wondering if the port got fried, or was it something else

the cable works for all my other pcs besides the 1 that got shut off when the shit blew

Banned Senior Member

If it's just the one that got shut off, then it might be the ethernet port on your computer which got fried which seems odd to me. Most likely it's onboard ( on the motherboard ) on the back of your computer, and if thats true I'd imagine that it would have fried the rest of the motherboard. If the ethernet port is plugged in a PCI slot, try getting a new card and replace it with the old one. You might want to try to get a card anyways if you have room inside your computer for one, because if it is the ethernet port ( onboard ) your going to need internet somehow unless you buy a new motherboard

poiz3n

since i got a ati all in wonder card ima have 2 replace the mboard or just buy a usb adapter for ether port, witch seems cheaper

unless u have a surge protector, in your case sounds like youve had a surge from the lightning and its fried your mobo