Should i be lagging?

This is a discussion on Should i be lagging? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Processor: AMD Turion X2 dual-core (2.1 GHz) RAM: 4 GB System:64 bit Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Hard disk ...
Page: 1

Default Should i be lagging?

Processor: AMD Turion X2 dual-core (2.1 GHz)
    RAM: 4 GB
    System:64 bit
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Hard disk size: 298GB

Laptop is HP dv7

Now dont be dumb and say "Alienware is SO much better" or "get a desktop and make your own" etc... I wanna know why i am lagging SO much in ko (rarely lagged on WoW, i know that takes less power but still). I picked this computer because i was under the impression that it could handle computer games but i was obviously wrong for this game... I heard it was my graphics card but also heard with a laptop there is little you can change out. Any tips/advices would be nice <3

Edit: did some research and a few sites say it is possible to get an upgrade if your graphics card is PCI?
    Last edited by knox09; 09-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.

KataNoob Senior Member blood_warrior's Avatar

With your computer you should not be lagging at all, neither in wow or ko.

Banned Senior Member

Well, I'm sorry I can't bring you the solution.
    My computer is good enough to experience no lag at all aswell. I didn't lag in WoW either, but in KO my computer seems to lag from time to time. It tends to lag for like 10-15 minutes and then run smooth again for around the same time. I think the code in which KO is programmed causes this.

Wel it really is not a certain timeframe, its usually when i go moradon (its at its worst there, takes me FOREVER to walk thru it). Also at wars, when i get near opposite nation town and when mages aoe... Im lost why then if my comp should be able to handle it :/

still need help!

Ram is more than enough. It is perfect.
    CPU is not that good but should be doing most of the purposes for KO.
    GPU is also not that good but walking in moradon shouldn't be taking forever to run.

My advise would be getting a better laptop soon. This one looks pretty old but should work good with few tweaks.

1. Write "msconfig" and disable everything you don't need.
    2. If you are behind a firewall or antivirus, better disable it for KO.
    3. Try to overclock your GPU. (Do it with RivaTuner or ATI Tools)
    4. Try to overclock your CPU via BIOS.
    5. Update your graphic drivers to latest version and make sure you set all the graphics to lowest quality/maximum performance in GPU manager.
    6. Go to Right click my computer->Properties and disable all the logging/crash information.
    7. Either open option.exe in KO folder and lower view distance, or just rename FX folder to something else. (e.g FX1) Renaming FX folder will disable every effect ingame. You won't see weapon glows, skill animations but you will get a huge FPS boost. (Probably +15 for you in moradon.)

My ancient laptop jumped from 5-6 FPS to 25-30 FPS in KO moradon after doing all of them. Step 7 gives you the maximum FPS, but it will be effectless.

U have no idea how much i love u lol. Gonna try those <3

Oh and does switching from Vista to Windows 7 really make a diff?

kol4eva

Hi
    I have a DV7, bit different setup to you, however I still experience lag when in a situation where there are many other players. I think this may be an issue related to either KO servers or your connection, or maybe a bit of both.

When i purchased my DV7 it came with Vista. Vista is a DOG, upgrade to the 64bit Win7. I did and found KO ran a lot smoother.

You could also download some free software to monitor all aspects of your laptop performance, eg hard drive, ram usage, cpu. This may provide a clue as to whether you do have a hardware bottleneck

good luck