Computer Tech Support

This is a discussion on Computer Tech Support within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Custom Built: Windows XP ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 Asus A78NX-X Motherboard Problem: Computer would turn on and pass bios then ...
Page: 1

Custom Built:
    Windows XP
    ATI Radeon 9600XT 128
    Asus A78NX-X Motherboard

Problem:

Computer would turn on and pass bios then turn off booting windows. Eventually it stopped turning on. Put in a new power supply today and now it turns on but does not reach bios. It does not beep too passing BIOS as it used to but probably because it doesn't reach BIOS.

Question:

Does the motherboard battery do anything for the BIOS? The computer is over 7 years old so it is definitely possible.

evilwevel

before doing anything dangerous, try to reset your CMOS settings.

some pcs have buttons, and some use jumpers.

example of a button :

and a jumper :

does it reach the screen where it says "press del or ... to enter setup" ?

I'm going for failed CPU or RAM..... although that's just a quick guess

Here's what I'd do to troubleshoot it

1 - Reset CMOS (as above) if it fails......

2 - Check ALL cables and connections

3 - Disconnect everything not required for the PC to display BIOS. So you should be left with following hooked up
    Monitor (depending if you have external VGA either to M/B or Graphics Card), RAM, CPU + CPU Fan, Power Supply

NOTHING ELSE should be connected - you don't k/b & mouse you would get an error when it's testing but this way only components are tested

4 - If it runs through it's basic BIOS tests then gives an error about missing boot sector then it would suggest that one of the additional components added is causing the problem as BIOS does tests on the HW and if it's hanging you most likely have something like a faulty connector or RAM module.

5 - If it gets through BIOS tests, your Hardware should be fine, power down PC and hook up HDD only, try again to see if it able to read your HDD / Windows. If it errors....
    > Failed or Failing HDD
    > Bad Windows install
    > Bad IDE Connector
    > Bad IDE Cable
    If you got this far, I'd try checking all your cables and connect them. If no luck, try another HDD or IDE connector.

Anyone care to add or correct. It's off top of my head and I can't be arsed to proof read. Basic troubleshooting, remove everything not required to boot windows. Start from component level up

QUICK EDIT BTW normally for failed h/w symptoms
    - Failed CPU - PC powers up, CPU spins, black screen or hangs
    - Failed RAM - powers up, either beeps or hangs at the bit where it displays memory
    - Failed HDD - displays BIOS, usually gives error about unreadable boot sector or blue screens lots

Sorry if wrong, only had 4 hrs sleep so can't be arsed to correct

mjollner

puggy's post has every suggestion i would make and more
    but i personally would disconnect ram first (1 stick at a time) trying each stick individually in each possible slot
    ram has caused this for me to many times to count -_-
    it could also be the memory on the g card so dont forget to try disonecting it

puggy's post has every suggestion i would make and more
    but i personally would disconnect ram first (1 stick at a time) trying each stick individually in each possible slot
    ram has caused this for me to many times to count -_-
    it could also be the memory on the g card so dont forget to try disonecting it[/b]
    Thanks, I looked at the motherboard specs, I couldn't see anything about an external VGA slot so that's why I didn't mention to disconnect it as wasn't 100% sure there was one

If this is the case it's just worth trying to swap out the cards with another to test. I have a box full of spare parts so it's easy for me to test other people's PC but most people don't have their own.

Spot on comment regarding the RAM comment, I typed that out in my original post but I'm always editing them so keep changing my mind on what I write I usually miss stuff out

Ok, lot's of comments, awesome! Gonna take ma awhile to read through them and test it out but I'll try them and get back to you thanks.

1. It has a jumper but no buttons, how do i reset the jumper?

2. I have an external VGA for the comments above, should I try plugging my monitor into the MB Graphics and pull the other card out?

evilwevel

QUICK EDIT BTW normally for failed h/w symptoms
    - Failed CPU - PC powers up, CPU spins, black screen or hangs
    - Failed RAM - powers up, either beeps or hangs at the bit where it displays memory
    - Failed HDD - displays BIOS, usually gives error about unreadable boot sector or blue screens lots

Sorry if wrong, only had 4 hrs sleep so can't be arsed to correct[/b]
    i've never seen it spin before

Ok, lot's of comments, awesome! Gonna take ma awhile to read through them and test it out but I'll try them and get back to you thanks.
    1. It has a jumper but no buttons, how do i reset the jumper?[/b]
    you shut down your computer,you take the jumper off (the little plastic thing covering 2 metal pins) and place it so the pin that wasn't covered gets covered. leave it like that for a few seconds and then place the jumper like it was originally. if you restart your computer now it should be reset to it's basic values.

you shut down your computer,you take the jumper off (the little plastic thing covering 2 metal pins) and place it so the pin that wasn't covered gets covered. leave it like that for a few seconds and then place the jumper like it was originally. if you restart your computer now it should be reset to it's basic values.[/b]
    Actually, your suppose to take the power cable out of the back of the power supply while resetting bio's.

evilwevel

Actually, your suppose to take the power cable out of the back of the power supply while resetting bio's.[/b]
    thats what i meant .

and it's only for CMOS btw, you can't change your BIOS settings when your computer hasn't got power.

i've never seen it spin before
    you shut down your computer,you take the jumper off (the little plastic thing covering 2 metal pins) and place it so the pin that wasn't covered gets covered. leave it like that for a few seconds and then place the jumper like it was originally. if you restart your computer now it should be reset to it's basic values.[/b]
    Lol, I said I was tired h34r:

New sexy CPU's they spin is auto OKY

evilwevel

Lol, I said I was tired h34r:

New sexy CPU's they spin is auto OKY [/b]
    wouldn't be to bad tho. they're so boring right now. if they would spin zalman (or any other company) could make leds for them :lol: .

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

Your initial thought was right... the CMOS battery might need replacing. Check with the motherboard manufacturer what voltage you need (or check on the battery if it's visible)

Should say on battery but I think most are CR3 ?