Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is this a good idea ?

This is a discussion on is this a good idea ? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; this is my computer as you can see , my motherboard sucks balls and it only has 2 slots for ...
Page: 1

NaidenZ

this is my computer

as you can see , my motherboard sucks balls and it only has 2 slots for memory ram and I'm using they both already ( 2x512)
    what I want to do is , buy a new motherboard + 4 rams of 1024 each

is this a good idea ? h34r:
    would I be happy if I buy that? h34r:

and later I might buy a new processor like Core 2 Quad Q6600

or what I should buy? h34r:

Not really, because your pc would only recognize 3gb of ram. The main difference you would notice is faster ram is available. I'd get 3x 1gb.

NaidenZ

how I can make 4gb works ?

NaidenZ

since there isn't bump option then

bump h34r:

Theres no doubt u need more memory.. How much more u need depends on a few factors.

1. What OS u like to run on?
    2. What do u use ur computer mainly for?
    3. Do u have any plan on a huge upgrade in the future?
    4. What does money means to u? If u know what i mean...

1. If u are a Vista user, or planning to be, then u should strongly considering to get urself 4GB of memories (not that 2GB isnt enough, but 4GB is optimal for Vista).
    2. RAM makes a great performance improvement in loading time and multitasking works, so if u only playing some KO, browsing internet, then 2GB is plenty for u.
    3. If u ever want to buy more RAM, then I would suggest u to buy the dual channel ones, so u can reach double clock speed. A good example of dual channel RAM could looks like this: http://www.corsairmicro.com/products/go.as...X4096-6400C5DHX
    4. Actually, not like the RAM would cost all the money out of u, but mainly when u make an upgrade, the rest parts of ur computer goes too, and that could be a pain in the ass in the very end. A high end PC would cost the same as a fully geared lvl 80 char, so its very considerable.

Ops, as I was concentrated with ur RAM, I totally lost myself about ur other hardware..

With a fast look of ur specifications, ur computer seems to be 1,5~2 years old. Again, I dunno about ur requirement, personally I would be fine with that since I got a similar one (except I got 2GB RAM and AMD X2 5000). But then I really like to get myself 2 x Geforce 8800 GT, so I can make use of the SLI feature I have on my motherboard. Cant really tell if u need an upgrade or not, as different person have different requirement, some ppl buy a new hardcore PC every 3 months or so (dont ask me where they get the money), some buy one every 3~5 years! So its all down to one's usage and requirement.

Banned

wouldnt it be stupid to buy a new motherboard now, if u wonna buy a quad core later on? then youre most likely gonna need to buy a new motherboard again? or am i wrong?

Id replace the 2 x 512 with 2 x 1 gb ram, and u should be okay ? thats the cheap way :P

NaidenZ

wouldnt it be stupid to buy a new motherboard now, if u wonna buy a quad core later on? then youre most likely gonna need to buy a new motherboard again? or am i wrong?

Id replace the 2 x 512 with 2 x 1 gb ram, and u should be okay ? thats the cheap way :P[/b]
    right now my motherboard is trash because it does not support processors like core quad and it has 2 slots for ram only so...

what I want to do is , buy a new motherboard which supports processors dual core duo/quad/extreme and with 4 slots for ram , because I wanted to buy some ram's first, and later a nice processor ( after save some money ^_^)

It's my idea then what I would like to know is if it's a good or bad idea. h34r:

then youre most likely gonna need to buy a new motherboard again? or am i wrong[/b]
    Not entirely necessary , but in his case yes, he'd need a new motherboard if he wanna change to quad core, since ECS website didnt mentioned anything about his motherboard support the new Core 2 Duo or Quad.
    After a little finding, this motherboard seems to be the one hes using: http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/...=44&LanID=0 very cute little fella (Micro ATX lol) :lol:
    Another thing.. I just noticed his motherboard dont support higher than 2GB RAM and dual channel, kinda makes it easier to chose what type of RAM to buy at least..

NaidenZ

as I know this is my motherboard
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-COMPAQ-ASTEROPE2-EC...7QQcmdZViewItem
    Motherboard description [/b]
    Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS RC410-M
    HP/Compaq name: Asterope 2
    CPU/Processor[/b]
    Socket: 775
    Supports the following processors:
    Pentium D 900 series Dual Core (Presler)
    Pentium D 800 series Dual Core (Smithfield)
    Pentium 4 500 (Prescott)
    Pentium 4 600 (Prescott)
    Celeron D (Prescott)
    Celeron D (Cedar Mill)
    Front-side bus (FSB) [/b]
    800/533 MHz
    Chipset[/b]
    Northbridge: ATI RC410
    Memory[/b]
    Single-channel memory architecture
    2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 400/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules
    Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB
    Southbridge: ATI IXP450

evilwevel

4 gig of ram is perfect nowadays, most games say they only need 1 or two gig, but 4 is perfect.

as for the motherboard, it all depends if you're going for the quad core or not, since the dual and quad cores use a diffrent socket (wich is attached to the motherboard). but for now i would go for a nice dual core processor. it's cheaper and you won't benefit from a quad core processor since only a few games and applicatons actually use the quad core like it should be used.

as for a good motherboard, i would advice the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, it's not that expensive and has great overclocking capabilities to. it supports ddr2 and 3 ram (4 slot fro ddr2 ram and 2 for ddr3 ram).

Banned

well if your gonna change the motherboard now, u might aswell just buy a new CPU right away, if you got the cash ofc.

I doubt that its possible to buy a motherboard that supports your P4 cpu, AND also supports Quad Cores, is that possible? (Im not that much into computer stuff :P)

If it aint, i would buy a motherboard for Quad / Core 2 duo cpus, and then get a duel core or quad core, if its a duel core, a e4500 is quite cheap :P and then 2-4 gb ram, and youre good to go

I doubt that its possible to buy a motherboard that supports your P4 cpu, AND also supports Quad Cores, is that possible? (Im not that much into computer stuff :P)[/b]
    There are many backward compatible motherboards on the market, especially when the new quad core is in the same family tree as dual core, and about all of them support Pentium 4, a few of them also support Celeron.
    U should take a look at this badass motherboard http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Lis....asp?ID=407065

NaidenZ

well if your gonna change the motherboard now, u might aswell just buy a new CPU right away, if you got the cash ofc.

I doubt that its possible to buy a motherboard that supports your P4 cpu, AND also supports Quad Cores, is that possible? (Im not that much into computer stuff :P)

If it aint, i would buy a motherboard for Quad / Core 2 duo cpus, and then get a duel core or quad core, if its a duel core, a e4500 is quite cheap :P and then 2-4 gb ram, and youre good to go [/b]
    there are mother boards who supports p4, quad cores, nd even extreme

well , I'm going to buy a mother board + 3gb right now

brb h34r:

NaidenZ

bump
    somehow I will buy tomorrow a core Quad Q6600+ motherboard Intel DP35DPM + 1gb ram xD

I've paid 200€ already, she gonna get them for tomorrow =(

so nvm, this topic is done :X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast