Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installing new Graphics Card

This is a discussion on Installing new Graphics Card within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; ok so i bought the graphics card blah blah...wouldnt fit..got pissed..went and bought one that did. ok so this one ...
Page: 1

Banned

ok so i bought the graphics card blah blah...wouldnt fit..got pissed..went and bought one that did. ok so this one (radeon) fits but when i do as the manuel said it wont work. The manuel said to unistall your current graphics card drivers which i did. i then unplugged my pc and opened it. I put the card in the brown spot above the other whites (which is where it said to put it) and when i turn on the pc..it starts normally from what i hear but the monitor won't come up. i can hear the "beep beep" like when the pc starts but the monitor like stays yellow/brown and never turns green and shows nothing. So i read further and it says that the card might need its own power source (wtf?). i get the cords it came with and plugged them in where i thought they went but still the monitor wouldnt come on. i took it out and started and the monitor came on (which is how im typing this). so im thinking a few things

- My monitor cant handle it.

- I'm not hooking a cord up right between the graphics card and in my PC.

Anyone have any ideas?

Well i dont know anything about graphic cards and computer as much as i did when i played with them when i was younger but i do know my brother did actually had to buy a new power supply for a video card he bought...

btw can u get into setup or anything?

Banned

nope. nothing comes up and the power cord came witb it i just dont know where to hook it up too.

IllusionS

From the sounds of it, you are using an AGP video card slot, the newer video cards require additional power from the power supply, as the AGP slot from the motherboard only holds so much power on its own.

As for no picture, are you still plugging the monitor cable into the ORIGINAL output on the tower? That would be the onboard video card from the motherboard, and if you are now using the AGP video card, you have to plug it into that one!

Otherwise:

To disable onboard video cards, you might have to disable it in the BIOS, and set it to use the AGP one. To get into the bios you have to hit a key or combination of keys when the computer is booting, usually delete or f10. You wanna look for somethin called PRIMARY VIDEO DEVICE, and set that to AGP!

From the sounds of it, you are using an AGP video card slot, the newer video cards require additional power from the power supply, as the AGP slot from the motherboard only holds so much power on its own.

As for no picture, are you still plugging the monitor cable into the ORIGINAL output on the tower? That would be the onboard video card from the motherboard, and if you are now using the AGP video card, you have to plug it into that one!

Otherwise:

To disable onboard video cards, you might have to disable it in the BIOS, and set it to use the AGP one. To get into the bios you have to hit a key or combination of keys when the computer is booting, usually delete or f10. You wanna look for somethin called PRIMARY VIDEO DEVICE, and set that to AGP![/b]
    what he said

theprodigy

i need specifics cards very a own powersorce is a powersource for the fan simple cord from the motherbord. graphics cards are simple u put it in. and go 2 the site and download the newest driver. if u give me the name of the card and some basic on ur comp ur motherbord ur cpu what cooling ur using how many cd drivs you running and hard drivs and ur sound card i can tell u how many watts u need to run it all mayb your power source is 2 weak. like the nvidea 8800 ultra sli needs a basic of 700 watts to run but just download cpuz and pc wizard from this site. http://www.cpuid.com/index.php take a ss of it and post i can tell u evrything from there. you might just need a simple bios update. bios is in f2 f10 or delete when ur starting ur comp. details help.

IllusionS

I highly doubt he bought 2 8800 Ultra's, especially since he went from onboard to just a basic video card, why would he buy two 700$ video cards?

agp/pci exprees?

Banned

ok yea..thnx czm but now when i turn on the PC the monitor comes on but it only show a bunch of verical lines..like red/orange lines and nothing will come up.

its AGP and no its not a $700 card lol..its more a nooby one ive been told but hell anythings better than what i have..i cant even play CS with the one i have and in ko i get 20 FPS when no one is around me..

btw to help its an ATI RadeonX 1300 pro.

and also sry for this but my PC is an IBM and i cant for the life of me figure out where to plug in the cord i got with the video card. it says that it might need its own power source but idk where to plug it in.

theres 3 plus on the wires i get..

i know where to put 1 but not the other 2 :s.

IllusionS

that power connecter cable is probably some sort of adapter...the one end plugs into the end of the video card:

The other side of the cable should connect to an open peripheral power supply cable, (hopefully you have one).

Isnt there a manual that explains this stuff?

Banned

No,the manual sucks it doesn't explain how to do it or where it might be i just says to do the stuff. and btw i know where that plug is but idk where the power one in my PC is..

ok so i bought the graphics card blah blah...wouldnt fit..got pissed..went and bought one that did. ok so this one (radeon) fits but when i do as the manuel said it wont work. The manuel said to unistall your current graphics card drivers which i did. i then unplugged my pc and opened it. I put the card in the brown spot above the other whites (which is where it said to put it) and when i turn on the pc..it starts normally from what i hear but the monitor won't come up. i can hear the "beep beep" like when the pc starts but the monitor like stays yellow/brown and never turns green and shows nothing. So i read further and it says that the card might need its own power source (wtf?). i get the cords it came with and plugged them in where i thought they went but still the monitor wouldnt come on. i took it out and started and the monitor came on (which is how im typing this). so im thinking a few things

- My monitor cant handle it.

- I'm not hooking a cord up right between the graphics card and in my PC.
    Anyone have any ideas?[/b]
    are you magicwannabe from runescape? you probably know i motnahp i, im his neighbor lol.

theprodigy

that picture is perfect

i didnt read so i had 2 delete this post

but i mean plug and play it has 2 fit unless motherboard is not compatible.

Zaria

I think you have to disable your integrated video.

theprodigy

I think you have to disable your integrated video.[/b]

you see the picture it shows he needs power conected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast