Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help Fix My Computer

This is a discussion on Help Fix My Computer within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hey, Im having some serius problems whit my computer and its ruining my game experience, so i need some ppl ...
Page: 1

MyBitch

Hey,

Im having some serius problems whit my computer and its ruining my game experience, so i need some ppl to help me fix this.. since i dont have money enogh to buy a new computer i need help replacing hardware the chepest way to make my comp run decent agiain..

Ok so first of im gonna tell u what the computer does when i play ko and when doing other stuff.. Then ill tell what i got of hardware.. then i need ur help to figure out my problem or problems.

Playing KO is starting to get more and more biatchy.
    Loading in takes a few min i think if it takes longer then i will get timeout lol.. well even to long to login and see tk or talos still standing.
    When ingame lets say moradon, i have to sit still for 5-10 min before i can walk whitout my computer freze for 10 sec +... when pking it also freeze.. basicly if there is more then 2 things going on it freeze up for secends... only thing i can do is xp where nothing special happends.
    something els is that when im ingame and wanna tab out to a web browser it takes 1-2 min before i can start read the page and after that changing page goes decently like 20-30 sec..

Not playing KO everything is ok, looking on the www still take 20-30 sec same as opening diferent programs or browsers..

My Computer :
    IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.00GHz, CPU Speed 3012 MHz (+)
    Ram 512MB (3400 something)
    Asus Radeon 9200SE 256MB
    Hard Drive 40GB Suxor ^^

Dunno if u need to hear more..

Well basicly i need to hear if its enogh just to change the Hard Drive or if i also need to change the rams to more and better...
    I know for sure i need a new harddisk since this one is from before 1st world war and i have a feeling the rams will do for now.

so questing is what should i look for in a HD and if i can erford it RAM'S

ty in advance for ur kindnes of helping me out.

Call me Ghosty Senior Member SuperGhost's Avatar

Hey,

Im having some serius problems whit my computer and its ruining my game experience, so i need some ppl to help me fix this.. since i dont have money enogh to buy a new computer i need help replacing hardware the chepest way to make my comp run decent agiain..

Ok so first of im gonna tell u what the computer does when i play ko and when doing other stuff.. Then ill tell what i got of hardware.. then i need ur help to figure out my problem or problems.

Playing KO is starting to get more and more biatchy.
    Loading in takes a few min i think if it takes longer then i will get timeout lol.. well even to long to login and see tk or talos still standing.
    When ingame lets say moradon, i have to sit still for 5-10 min before i can walk whitout my computer freze for 10 sec +... when pking it also freeze.. basicly if there is more then 2 things going on it freeze up for secends... only thing i can do is xp where nothing special happends.
    something els is that when im ingame and wanna tab out to a web browser it takes 1-2 min before i can start read the page and after that changing page goes decently like 20-30 sec..

Not playing KO everything is ok, looking on the www still take 20-30 sec same as opening diferent programs or browsers..

My Computer :
    IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.00GHz, CPU Speed 3012 MHz (+)
    Ram 512MB (3400 something)
    Asus Radeon 9200SE 256MB
    Hard Drive 40GB Suxor ^^

Dunno if u need to hear more..

Well basicly i need to hear if its enogh just to change the Hard Drive or if i also need to change the rams to more and better...
    I know for sure i need a new harddisk since this one is from before 1st world war and i have a feeling the rams will do for now.

so questing is what should i look for in a HD and if i can erford it RAM'S

ty in advance for ur kindnes of helping me out.[/b]
    You might need to upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB, trust me it worths... You'll see the difference. About Alt+Tab it's very normal since KO uses (most of the time) 100% of your CPU thats why Internet Explorer, MSN and such opens soo slow like u wanna shoot yourself but there is a solution for that.

(While Playing KO)
    Ctrl+Alt+Delete= Task Manager
    Click on Processes(Right Next to Applications Tab)
    Find KnightOnline.Exe
    Right Click on KnightOnline.exe "Set Priority" To LOW
    You have to do this every time you run KO.

After setting priority to LOW, you should see some improvement, IE, MSN and such should open and load faster. Your graphic card seems all right to me so keep that. Also a bigger Hard Drive would be better( 100gb ones not that expensive nowadays.)

DaKidGotSkillz

Im runing on same ram. 512. But i upgraded my hdd to 185gb. Now it ownz. Im buying new comp soon too.

sub

clean inside PC of dust including fan on cpu and video card
    turn off indexing service
    If have a paid AV program, set it to not scan KO folder

MyBitch

ok well my main question is what i should look for in a HD..

i know it is posible to buy 1 whit 500+GB and it still sux ass. there is more to it and that is what i need help whit..

i see my GF Card is ok..

Rams, same as the HD.. there is more then just the size of it.. i have 2 slots for ram.. if i get 1GB ram i can always buy more later..

so beside the sice of these 2 what should i look for.. as u see my rams are 512 whit 3400 something i dont remember what is called... thats what makes it top performance i know that much.. but i dont know what i should have as minimum..

Come whit excamples on 1 HD whit maybe 200GB and 1 slice RAM 1GB. and remeber i need the best performance.. tho what u think i should look for as minimum would be best cuz i dont have that much money to buy this shit..

Volcanic

Ok bud, i tried posting this once already and it was killed by a PM .

1. If you have no anti spyware/Anti virus installed. Download Spybot search and destroy and super antispyware. For AV try either and online scanner such as trend micro(you could get AVG free, but running AV wont help your slow comp).
    2. If your comp is disease free, then check your processes. Assuming your running XP you ideally want 25 processes or less running(more than 35 is bad). Some software out there has the nasty habit of setting itself to start with windows, not good.
    3. How full is your HDD? The fuller it gets, the slower it`ll get. Over 50% isn`t good, and over 70% is really bad. Delete or burn anything thats not needed.
    4. RAM. 512MB isn`t really good enough, you will notice a big improvement with another 512mb(thats all you`ll need really). Windows(depending on your install)needs upto 200mb, IE will need another 20mb, and anything else you`ve got running will be sapping your limited resources. KO likes around 350-512mb depending on set up.
    5. When was the last time you cracked open the case to clean it? If its never been cleaned, chances are there will be a nice layer on insulating dust over the CPU cooler. Heat build will happen and that causes even slower performance.

Choosing a hard drive.

The bigger the HDD you choose, the better the performance. Open your case and look for SATA connectors http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pcarchite...e/chapter44.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page for a pic showing what they look like). If your comp has SATA, then you want to buy a SATA2 HDD(get the biggest you can afford). This will noticably improve loading time compared to IDE. However, if your comp is IDE then try to buy a HDD with the best cost/size ratio(pointless wasting good money on old tech).

MyBitch

Ok bud, i tried posting this once already and it was killed by a PM .

1. If you have no anti spyware/Anti virus installed. Download Spybot search and destroy and super antispyware. For AV try either and online scanner such as trend micro(you could get AVG free, but running AV wont help your slow comp).
    2. If your comp is disease free, then check your processes. Assuming your running XP you ideally want 25 processes or less running(more than 35 is bad). Some software out there has the nasty habit of setting itself to start with windows, not good.
    3. How full is your HDD? The fuller it gets, the slower it`ll get. Over 50% isn`t good, and over 70% is really bad. Delete or burn anything thats not needed.
    4. RAM. 512MB isn`t really good enough, you will notice a big improvement with another 512mb(thats all you`ll need really). Windows(depending on your install)needs upto 200mb, IE will need another 20mb, and anything else you`ve got running will be sapping your limited resources. KO likes around 350-512mb depending on set up.
    5. When was the last time you cracked open the case to clean it? If its never been cleaned, chances are there will be a nice layer on insulating dust over the CPU cooler. Heat build will happen and that causes even slower performance.

Choosing a hard drive.

The bigger the HDD you choose, the better the performance. Open your case and look for SATA connectors http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pcarchite...e/chapter44.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page for a pic showing what they look like). If your comp has SATA, then you want to buy a SATA2 HDD(get the biggest you can afford). This will noticably improve loading time compared to IDE. However, if your comp is IDE then try to buy a HDD with the best cost/size ratio(pointless wasting good money on old tech).[/b]

I nailed this 1 down to number 3 and 4.. rest is good and funny enogh i clean my computer min once a month..

Question 1) I get the idea about the S-ATA S-ATA2 IDE. i was even looking on the diference on them before u posted... But i have come to the conclution that i do not know if i can use the S-ATA or S-ATA2...
    So pls explain to a noob how to see this again?.. i take it from ur pic its about the thing i plugin in the motherboard?
    When i look at a HD i see this.. 250 GB / 7200 rpm / 8 MB / Serial ATA-300 / 11 ms (Just an example) is that fine? lol

Question 2) i know i need RAM's and atleast 1GB.. however there is more stuff to the RAMs...
    Do i chose DDR SDRAM or DDR3 SDRAM or something els?
    Do i Chose PC2-xxxx or PC3-xxxx or PCxxxx or something els?

as i try to say i want to get the highest performens out of each thing i upgrade whit..

im sorry if im stupid, but i dont wanna buy useless stuff

Volcanic

Ok, if your comp has SATA connectors then you can use SATA2, with no bother(as an added bonus the cbles are far superior to IDE ). And the example HDD will be fine.
    Download EVEREST http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...=UE&lang=en , this will show you what RAM you have in your comp. Just match the new stick to the old one(you could buy a faster stick but it`ll match the slower one)

MyBitch

Ok, if your comp has SATA connectors then you can use SATA2, with no bother(as an added bonus the cbles are far superior to IDE ). And the example HDD will be fine.
    Download EVEREST http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...=UE&lang=en , this will show you what RAM you have in your comp. Just match the new stick to the old one(you could buy a faster stick but it`ll match the slower one)[/b]

last question i hope..
    i use this HDD atm : Stargate ST340810A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    i know its bad. but it was the only 1 i could get for free when my old 1 burned

if i can run this can i run SATA/SATA2 ??

I gues i can just count how many "pins" i have and chose from that?
    i Count 39 holes in a stick!!

Volcanic

Depends on the age of your mobo. Most should support the SATA drive with no hitches, but occasionally, really old boards need a driver installed before windows can see it(go to the website of your mobo manufacturers, and check there(you can get the newest drivers for your board whilst your at it ). Thankfully, its not too much trouble as windows asks you for raid/scsi drivers at the begining of the install. Just download and copy to a floppy or USB flash drive, and press the required key when asked.

MyBitch

LOOOL... sorry about all this sata questions.. i just took a loong look at my motherboard.. and i can use IDE/SATA1/SATA2..

If i read right that is... i see 2 places i can add those 7-pin sticks and infront of these 2 it says sata1 and sata2

so that problem is sorted...

if i need more help im gonna bumb the topic up later.. but for now i got all info i needed..

A BIG thx to u all

Volcanic

Anytime

angrybahamut

just get more ram.....

evilwevel

also, when buying new ram buy the fastest, nowadays you have 667 and 800 mhz sticks and if your motherboard supports both of them, go for the 800mhz ones.

and don't bother to buy DDR3 ram, it's way to expensive. just go for DDR2

DaKidGotSkillz

More ram would be nice as angry said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast