Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me with picking laptop

This is a discussion on Help me with picking laptop within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I'm looking for a laptop for: Play KO on max settings Play DvDs Get on internet for email/stream videos (youtube) ...
Page: 1

BiPolarCow

I'm looking for a laptop for:

Play KO on max settings
    Play DvDs
    Get on internet for email/stream videos (youtube)
    Has a DVI output (so i can hook it up to my 26" samsung LCD monitor)
    Have a jack for headphones
    A decent size screen 17" - 20"
    Dual-Core
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Community Nazı Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

why would you want 64bit? it's not like any laptop has more than 3gb ram anyway..

Banned Senior Member

Mine has 4

Mine has 4[/b]

No one cares

Banned Senior Member

somewhere, someone does

why would you want 64bit? it's not like any laptop has more than 3gb ram anyway..[/b]
    Scrotti, sir your outdated. :P Most mid-top end laptops nowadays has 4 gigs as an affordable option. If your just looking to play KO on max settings, your standards are pretty low. I used to have a Qosmio and I absolutely loved it. It was the perfect multimedia laptop and the screen was stunning. Although, now I use a desktop with a 42" LCD and just use an older laptop for portability. :P In my opinion, either use a desktop or go for something smaller like a 13", because things above that are usually too clunky to carry around everywhere.

However, if your searching for a desktop replacement, may I suggest this.

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/G50

It has excellent expandability, so you can always add another SATA hard drive to it later if you need more storage. Plus it has ports gallore including HDMI. But to be honest, if all your looking to do is play KO on max settings, you can choose basically any laptop out now that has a dedicated graphics chip; even something as low as an 8400gs.

Community Nazı Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

Scrotti, sir your outdated. :P Most mid-top end laptops nowadays has 4 gigs as an affordable option. If your just looking to play KO on max settings, your standards are pretty low. I used to have a Qosmio and I absolutely loved it. It was the perfect multimedia laptop and the screen was stunning. Although, now I use a desktop with a 42" LCD and just use an older laptop for portability. :P In my opinion, either use a desktop or go for something smaller like a 13", because things above that are usually too clunky to carry around everywhere.

However, if your searching for a desktop replacement, may I suggest this.

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/G50

It has excellent expandability, so you can always add another SATA hard drive to it later if you need more storage. Plus it has ports gallore including HDMI. But to be honest, if all your looking to do is play KO on max settings, you can choose basically any laptop out now that has a dedicated graphics chip; even something as low as an 8400gs.[/b]
    There is no DECENT laptop with more than 4gb of ram in an affordable price range. The ones I've seen, with 4gb ram, usually suck on the CPU and GPU. Unless you plan on paying a shitload for a laptop that certainly won't be needed just to play KO on, you should be more than fine going with ~2gb ram, somewhat decent dual core and a good gpu.

And I wouldn't buy a Toshiba, ever. I've had two of those, they're a pain in the ass. They're sort of.. the Dell' in the laptop scene!

Strike

BiPolar also forgot to mention his buget, though with what he has listed so far he can expect to pay at least $900 and/or more for what he wants.

BiPolarCow

How are Acer America brand ?

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

somewhere, someone does[/b]
    I CARE!

How are Acer America brand ?[/b]
    Acer is one of the more cheaper brands. it's a decent quality. all depends whats inside though

BiPolarCow

How would you rate quality Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony . Also rate by price .

HP HDX X18-1180ef 18,4" TFT BEST LAPTOP EVER, I WILL BuY SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN 1 YEAR , THAT LAPTOP IS FUCKING GOOD

BigApple

No one cares[/b]
    http://midol.com/

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

Sony, Toshiba, HP & Dell at same level, Acer

price all depends on whats in the computer.
    i would personally pick toshiba, hp or dell

and btw to the other posts. 3gb is nearly a standard on laptops now since vista would be shit without it.

whats your price range?

BigApple

I'm looking for a laptop for:

Play KO on max settings
    Play DvDs
    Get on internet for email/stream videos (youtube)
    Has a DVI output (so i can hook it up to my 26" samsung LCD monitor)
    Have a jack for headphones
    A decent size screen 17" - 20"
    Dual-Core
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit[/b]
    Id look at something like thisfor dual-core (although i think you want core 2-duo which is different and better). ONly bad thing is it is shared video memory, not dedicated:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834147921

HP G70-250US Intel Pentium dual-core T4200(2.00GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 3GB Memory 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M NoteBook - Retail
    Part#: NF795UA#ABA
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium dual-core T4200(2.00GHz)
    Screen: 17" WXGA+
    Memory Size: 3GB DDR2
    Hard Disk: 320GB
    Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi
    Graphics Card: Intel GMA 4500M

for 600USD it looks like a super deal

NOw this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220516

ASUS M70 Series M70Vn-D1 Intel Core 2 Duo T9550(2.66GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory 640GB HDD BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT NoteBook - Retail
    Part#: 90N-ST0A8732FN8KQL0Y
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66G
    Screen: 17" WUXGA
    Memory Size: 4GB
    Hard Disk: 640GB
    Optical Drive: BD Combo
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT

Would be a kick-ass desktop replacement gaming machine with a price of 1900usd. I really like ASUS laptops. They are not as famous as other brands, but they make motherboards that are found in many of the other brands.

Or just browse here for other great 17 inch laptops
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....0Core%202%20Duo
    some of the open-box specials are a great deal.

I agree with what someone above said that for me a laptop is better with a smaller screen so it is more portable. Ive been playing ko for 3 years on this 13in asus laptop (core2duo, nvidia geforce 7700, win xp, 2gb ram (ive been meaning to get more ram but havent seen the need)) and its been great. I get 60+ frame rate so no problem on graphics side. And i can plug it into the many monitiors and tvs in my house when i want to (hdmi, vga, svhs outs).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast