Need help with my gateway PC

This is a discussion on Need help with my gateway PC within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Well, simply put, I wake up today, and try to turn it on, nothing happens. The little green light comes ...
Page: 1

Draconetsu

Default Need help with my gateway PC

Well, simply put, I wake up today, and try to turn it on, nothing happens. The little green light comes on, but the computer doesn't try to boot up or anything. So I turn off the surge pad and turn it back on (Easier than removing the plug). I turn the PC on, and the gree power light is now amber. I got online, did some research and tried the following: Unhooked the vid card, sound card, modem card, DVD drive, CD Drive, floppy drive and hard drive, I then turned it on and still an amber light. I hooked everything up again, and still an amber light. I then replaced the BIOS battery, and still an amber light. So now I've gotta wait til tomorrow, and I'm gonna call tech support, but since I have some phobias of dealing with people, I was hoping I could get some help here first. The only thing I know for sure is that there was a thunderstorm last night and the power went out. But since the PC is hookied up through a surge pad, I don't think that was it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Try to start it with only the mobo, no ram, monitor keyboard mouse HDD etc...

What is the green light your refering to ?

I'm curious, what OS are you using for your gateway ?

Draconetsu

Alright, I'm using win xp SP2, and this is a 5 year old gateway, and the green light is the power button. But I noticed that the green light on the mobo was on too when I Plugged it in with the cover off. When I turn it on with the cover off, I can see the fan start to spin, and then stops, but I'll quickly go try that and post what happens.

edit: Alright, tried that and still nothing.

Bob

If it was me I would test each part of the system on another working computer. Starting with the power supply

Draconetsu

Could you point me in the direction of a how-to guide? I'm really a noob at this sort of thing and don't want to make things worse than they already are.

Bob

Oh ok, I thought you knew what you were doing when I read your first post, my mistake.

I suggest you call a friend or a family member to help you out with that since you don't know much about this.

First you want to remove you power supply from the messed up comp. Then replace it with a working one on another compupter. IF it boots up then it means you need a new mobo (remember you said you try removing all parts of the PC exept the motherboard and the power supply and then start it up).

You might wanna try your working power supply on the "not working" PC.

Draconetsu

Alright, thanks for the help.

-Jared-

Originally posted by Draconetsu
    Alright, thanks for the help.
    lol noober u got ur monitor pluged in wrong i bet lol if u got a gateway there are 2 monitor ports and there is a special caple in ur video card box look for it, hope u didnt throw it away i had the same problem, do you hear a beep right when u start up?

Draconetsu

I've had the computer for 5 years, and it's worked until now, I'm pretty sure it didn't work this whole time with the monitor plugged in wrong. Anyways, I'm almost positive now it's the power supply, but instead of just getting a new one, we got a new PC. One that puts the old one to shame lol. All I have to do now is transfer over all the data on the old HD, which I still don't know how to do lol. But I'll research that tonight and in a day or two have everything the way it was, only better ^_^.