Problem with Windows XP... Accessing "Protected" Folders

This is a discussion on Problem with Windows XP... Accessing "Protected" Folders within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Basically this is what happened: My old hard drive's Windows files got corrupted and therefore I couldn't boot from that ...
Page: 1

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

Basically this is what happened:

My old hard drive's Windows files got corrupted and therefore I couldn't boot from that drive anymore. No problem, right? I just bought a new hard drive and loaded Windows on that, setting my new hard drive as my boot drive and my old "corrupted Windows" drive as my slave drive.
    Now, I wanted the files on my old drive (obviously; why else would I have put the drive back in my computer?) but the problem is that when I try to access my files through Documents and Settings -> then my folder with the name of the account, it says that access is denied. I can't reach the files on my old computer, because it was considered an "administrative owner".

I looked this up on Microsoft Help and it said to do some procedures that were available only on Windows XP Small Business Edition or something - the feature wasn't available on the Home edition, which is what I have.

Anything I can do to retrieve the files, other than reinstall Windows on that hard drive?

Are u logged as "Administrator" atm? Technically u should have access to everything as Administrator.

Are u logged as "Administrator" atm? Technically u should have access to everything as Administrator.[/b]
    Yes, but I'm not considered "administrator" on drives that are not my boot drive.

I always manage my harddrives with administrator rights, and never had these kind of problems switching harddrive, and copy files crossing 2 different harddrive both with Windows XP on. But then again, I had always used Windows XP Pro B)
    Get a copy of Windows XP Pro, cant imagining an administrator on a forum still use WinXP Home.. :huh: :lol:

I always manage my harddrives with administrator rights, and never had these kind of problems switching harddrive, and copy files crossing 2 different harddrive both with Windows XP on. But then again, I had always used Windows XP Pro B)
    Get a copy of Windows XP Pro, cant imagining an administrator on a forum still use WinXP Home.. :huh: :lol:[/b]
    I'm poor as fuck :\

Who said a legal copy? *cough* bittorrent *cough*, ops.. did i said too much? h34r:

Who said a legal copy? *cough* bittorrent *cough*, ops.. did i said too much? h34r:[/b]
    Looks like some illegal stuff... *hits ban button* h34r:

hej

Start in failsafe mod login administrator then copy, if that dont work try using Hirents boot cd, there you have so you can start in dos and then i cant se what can stop you

Banned Senior Member

I use windows xp home <_<

mr "I made $7000 playing Neopets" you can afford like $170 for windows <_<

I use windows xp home <_<

mr "I made $7000 playing Neopets" you can afford like $170 for windows <_<[/b]
    College is expensive I heard o.o

Banned Senior Member

Thats why man invented loans/jobs

reset your permissions

reset your permissions[/b]
    How?

http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/adva...ermissions.html

should explain it if not when i get home from work ill run u thru it