Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do u connect to USKO ?

This is a discussion on How do u connect to USKO ? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; All the time ppl have problems with connecting to the game but they have no clue why does that happens ...
Page: 1

Default How do u connect to USKO ?

All the time ppl have problems with connecting to the game but they have no clue why does that happens neither how to fix it. In order to understand clearly these issues, is better if we explain how does KO works. To start, take a look at this diagram:

I have defined 5 steps for a user to play in USKO:

[list][*]User runs the KO launcher and this goes to the website and shows whatever message they have, usually just some ugly Orc.[*]Launcher goes randomly to 1 FTP server and checks for any update patch. If there's a new patch, it will download it and install it. If there's none I'll let u click on start.[*]Launcher runs the knightonline.exe file and this one loads HackShield which checks again randomly with 1 FTP server if there's a new version of HackShield. If there is, it will download/update it. If not, it will load the game.[*]Once u pass the HackShield loading screen, the game will ask u for username and password. This information will be passed randomly to 1 login server and if it checks, then u will see the server list.[*]From the server list u can go to any realm/world and play on any server.
    [list]

If u dont use the launcher, u will just jump directly to step 3.

Keyword hear is RANDOM. Why? Because there are many servers associated with the same name so whenever u try for example download.knightonlineworld.com u will be directed randomly to any of the 5 FTP servers that have that same name. This concept is called ROUND ROBIN DNS. It helps balance the load between servers so 1 server is not overloaded. Its the cheapest way to do it, unefficient, but does the job.

Now, why I took to time make that graphic and explain all this? Cause this explains all the connection problems ppl have.

1. Hackshield doesnt load. I get a "cannot connect to update server".
    Probably the most frequent problem users report. This is caused by 1 or more FTP servers being down or overcrowded. As explained in step 3, HackShield will try to login on 1 FTP server to see if there are any updates, but if this server is full or down, it will fail. Usually its cause a server is full cause of a new patch and ppl take time to download it, filling the server fast.

Because of Windows keeping in cache the ips of the recent names u queried, trying again and again will only make u try to login to the exact FTP server over and over again. To fix this, u need to use the command ipconfig /flushdns. This will clear your DNS cache and will make u pick another FTP server from the list. Now, round robin is random and there's a chance u can pick the same FTP again or just a different FTP but also full. Trying several times can solve the problem. Using the command ping download.knightonlineworld.com will let u know which FTP u are using every time.

2. I can't log in the game
    Same as the previous problem, this can be cause by a login server being full or down. Again, cause of round robin DNS, the login server that is serving u is picked randomly. To force your PC to pick a different one, u can use ipconfig /flushdns. There's a chance that u can still pick the same one or just another one full/down, so try again. Also use our Server Status tool to be sure login/game servers are up.

3. I can't see the server list.
    This is caused by login servers being lagged or bugged. U can try point 2 to see if it works or just wait til server list show up.

All this information is public. U can see the IPs by just using nslookup (Ex: nslookup login.knightonlineworld.com), or by using netstat to see where's is your PC connecting. Feel free to ask more stuff related to network problems.

WhenTheSkyTurnsDark

A very useful and helpful guide. Nicely done Devile. Now I can have a better understanding and visualization of how this works.

Syko

Originally posted by WhenTheSkyTurnsDark
    A very useful and helpful guide. Nicely done Devile. Now I can have a better understanding and visualization of how this works.
    +1

priestish

Some questions about the diagram. After step 3, does it still go through the ftp/login server to reach the game server? Or it goes straight through to the game server.

You also forgot about the AI server :lol:

After hackshield loads and sees there aren't updates on the FTP, u go to the login server and u dont check the FTP anymore.

Didnt add AI or SQL servers cause I dont really know how many there are, how they are connected and cause they dont have much to do in how u connect to USKO. Its all part of a blackbox called "game server". Internally it might talk to several other boxes, but u as a client only talk to the game server.

U never contact the AI server, neither the DB directly. All is done through game servers.

what does this mean:

Most of the time if I don't do /flushdns between pressing the start button in the launcher and entering my username and password it will not load the server list page. I just sits there staring at the chicks.

BTW: Great info, I know we all appreciate your work.

Phosgene

Originally posted by ballzy
    what does this mean:

Most of the time if I don't do /flushdns between pressing the start button in the launcher and entering my username and password it will not load the server list page. *I just sits there staring at the chicks.

BTW: *Great info, I know we all appreciate your work.
    if u get "cannot connect to update server" by hack shield , do restart then go to run->cmd->ipconfig /flushdns , then ur prob will be solved .

that's not my problem.

Phosgene

Originally posted by ballzy
    that's not my problem.
    so what is ur problem ?

If u dont like the ipconfig /flushdns every now and then, u can just stop "DNS Client" service from Windows XP. That will stop Windows from keeping a DNS cache, that way it will ALWAYS query your ISP DNS for an IP.

Check this example. The first 3 pings are with "DNS Client" service working. The last pings are after I stoped the service.

as u can see it changes randomly. Same effect as using ipconfig /flushdns over and over.

Phosgene

Originally posted by Devile
    If u dont like the ipconfig /flushdns every now and then, u can just stop "DNS Client" service from Windows XP. That will stop Windows from keeping a DNS cache, that way it will ALWAYS query your ISP DNS for an IP.

Check this example. The first 3 pings are with "DNS Client" service working. The last pings are after I stoped the service.

as u can see it changes randomly. Same effect as using ipconfig /flushdns over and over.
    which means its randomly select a login server & ftp server right ?

hej

Devile thing you should remove the last S from gameservers.

why does hackshield always get stuck at 99% for me? while others dont have this problem

also when i log in too fast (id/pw too fast + enter) server list dont show up

but ill try ipconfig /flushdns

Rentzusuken

I think the server icons should have looked like this:

sexa

i ll ask a question about flushing dns cache. (i know how it works and what it does) doesnt all real dns servers has also cache? if they have (i know most have), dont they return the same ip whenever i query them in a few seconds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast