Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Gaming Laptop?

This is a discussion on New Gaming Laptop? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220461 For a $1000-1500 Canadian Budget (About $800-1200 American), is this the best laptop that I can get for gaming ...
Page: 1

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220461

For a $1000-1500 Canadian Budget (About $800-1200 American), is this the best laptop that I can get for gaming or can I get something that performs just as well but costs less?

Darkfall/Diablo 3/Starcraft 2/Ect are what I would be using this laptop for while at work.

legendmage

www.alienware.com my friend you will find all that you need.

From Bankrupt to Blue Sky Senior Member Riley's Avatar

Alienware is just a glorifed dell.

It's sort of like wearing abercrombie, when you can find nicer clothes for the same price or cheaper at any half way decent store.

And to answer your question, I wouldn't buy from a second hand retailer. HP, and dell run amazing promotions from time to time. If your lucky, you can find an after christmas coupon for like 200-500$ off. That's what I did when I bought my pc.

Also look at ebay authorized retailers. I'm not sure if cashback is still working, but if you spend 1000$, you can get 250$ back, along with the common discount most ebay vendors have.

www.alienware.com my friend you will find all that you need.[/b]

Way over priced.

If you look at Dell XPS vs Alienware you can see that they are just charging you more for the name and you get less. Both are owned by Dell. You can get new old stock XPS for cheap and they are awesome machines or you can build ur own. If you want to spend the money you can go with M1730 top of the line that blows their Alienware line away with better components for less...

Any thoughts about this Dell Model? I don't know what the Hard drive RPM# does so I stuck to the default HD when building this thing.

Studio 17
    Starting From $1,479
    From $38/ Mo.

Studio 17 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
    Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works
    System Color Option Jet Black
    LCD Panel Glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440x900)
    Camera Module Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
    Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    Hard Drive Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 I only know of Gforce, how good is this?
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1510 802.11 n half mini-card
    Bluetooth Option None
    Battery Options 85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) How long would this make the laptop last?
    Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0
    Built-in Keyboard Options Standard Keyboard (included in the price)

Look for the Gateway p7811Fx if not the gateway 6080fx will do the job. Not very Good battery life, and heavy, but the best gaming laptops for the price. Most laptop gamers plug in while playing anyway.

Which is the superior Gaming Laptop and why?

Studio 17 (17")
    Starting From $1,479
    From $38/ Mo.

Studio 17 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
    Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works
    System Color Option Jet Black
    LCD Panel Glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440x900)
    Camera Module Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
    Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    Hard Drive Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1510 802.11 n half mini-card
    Bluetooth Option None
    Battery Options 85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
    Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0
    Built-in Keyboard Options Standard Keyboard (included in the price)

=================================================

XSP M1530 (15.4")
    Starting From $1,549
    From $40/ Mo.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit
    PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Works
    LCD AND CAMERA Glossy, widescreen 15.4inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP
    MEMORY 6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (2 Dimms)
    HARD DRIVE Size: 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
    BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0
    (PRODUCT) RED (PRODUCT) RED
    GRAPHICS CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Dell Printer Driver Vista Premium Sticker
    Software - Adobe Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

evilwevel

i'd say the first one due to its bigger screen. you don't really want a 15.4" when you're playing games.

the second one does have more ram, but since you're probably going to get much better results by downgrading back to xp this won't really matter. the hdd has less capacity as well but it should be enough for windows and a couple of game (get an external if you want to store lots of movies etc.)

the video cards are the same as well i think, they might have some minor differences. but nothing that would make you go "i want that laptop cause the graphic card is sooo good"

and the processor in the first one is a bit better as well, higher fsb speed which is good if the ram is capable of that speed as well, otherwise it's just adjusts to the speed of the ram.

well the geforce card is a little more superior than the ati card... but other than that, i wouldn't choose a laptop with too big screen, in this case 17"... too big screen makes the laptop bigger, heavier and clumsier... oh and the screen is also more fragile. the thing u could do is to find a 15,4" laptop with better resolution cause 1280x800 is way too small for gaming. the resolutions for 15,4" go up to 1920x1280 or so, correct me if im wrong (in this case the numbers aren't 100% correct), something with 1600x1000ish will be perfect imo also. or you can go to specific shop and have one laptop custom built for u where u choose the best components. it might be a little more expensive (not that much though) and you will get just what you need. (and also get vista ultimate 64 bit if u can, its 2x faster than 32 bit and is good for gaming :P )

I am from canada as well, and for gaming none of those are good for their price. look for a gateway 7811fx on ebay.ca. Far better specs then these.

If I get a laptop from somewhere else, I must be able to pay monthly.

Gateway used to be a decent company but it totally sucks now. Dell used to be #1 in tech support etc but it has gotten much worse but it's still better then Gateway.

Gateway used to be a decent company but it totally sucks now. Dell used to be #1 in tech support etc but it has gotten much worse but it's still better then Gateway.[/b]
    your right about the support, but for these specs and the price, it is hands down the best budget gaming laptop out there,

sexyrexy

isnt gateway owned by hp which also owns compaq?

FisherySociety

isnt gateway owned by hp which also owns compaq?[/b]
    Yes and I would recommend the studio 17 that will do the job the best for you. I know of other websites with laptops that are the same price with 2 graphics cards but most likely do not support the monthly payments. The graphics cards are actually equal to each other in most senses the ATI most likely has a higher amount of ram. The 17 inch screen will be nice for gaming and its a dell laptop so you know it will be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast