verizon wireless fios / fiberoptics

This is a discussion on verizon wireless fios / fiberoptics within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; k i had dsl for a month or so, slow as shit internet then i decided to get fiberoptics the ...
Page: 1

kennyburger

k i had dsl for a month or so, slow as shit internet then i decided to get fiberoptics the first day the verizon guy came over and installed it i had good signal strength and superfast internet speed. he leaves i still have my fast internet, i go to sleep turn off computer, in the morning turn on the computer, and now i have shit speed

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ternet1jn1.jpg
    http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ternet2du6.jpg
    http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ternet3ez9.jpg

im caveman when it comes to situations like these
    pls help me :C

Hustlin' Senior Member kgllegend's Avatar

I would recommend calling verizon and telling them to check your connection speed.
    If they just set up your connection and the next day it fucks up, that's something on there side.

d4z3d

wireless? thats your problem. get longer cordzzzz

mjollner

are you sure your connected to the correct router? if you are then ... its unencrypted anyone can use your internet without you even knowing.

kennyburger

I would recommend calling verizon and telling them to check your connection speed.
    If they just set up your connection and the next day it fucks up, that's something on there side.[/b]
    gonna do that tomorrow :P ty

are you sure your connected to the correct router? if you are then ... its unencrypted anyone can use your internet without you even knowing.[/b]
    it only gives me a couple of options to connect to "linksys" is the only one that i can connect to with the strongest bars, and "debbie" is my neighbor's one. and im connected to the unencrypted one :C

mjollner

well i would suggest putting a password on it, so that people cant piggyback your net, and also try right clicking on the connection and choose "Repair"

kennyburger

well i would suggest putting a password on it, so that people cant piggyback your net, and also try right clicking on the connection and choose "Repair"[/b]
    how do i put a pw on it?
    repairing does nothing

mjollner

i have never set up a wireless connection but i imagine you just have to go into the advanced properties of the router and there will be an option to put in a WAP/WEP key

You can't just enable WEP by right clicking, you will need to logon to the router. Go to wireless section, generate a key and then enter it under WEP Security :P

The Wireless can limit your speed if your on a weak connection because information essential has to be sent in bursts and your losing more when it sends more just to reach you.

Once your connection is v.strong and your still slow try it with a cable, if it's still slow after that check with the ISP. Not sure if it's same as DSL but sometimes they need resets at exchange, and sometimes it takes about 10 days before everythings hunky

BTW - If your connection is still shit check to make sure the aerial is firmly screwed into the router

kennyburger

HAHHA i found the problem, the idiot worker from verizon had a modem well hidden behind my TV in the living room, and the reason it disconnected was because there wasn't enough slack on the power cable and it was just hanging and it must of unplugged out of the wall socket. all prblems fixed, and my net has a pw already