Intel duo core/ linux

This is a discussion on Intel duo core/ linux within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ok so i figured its time to buy or make a new computer. The only thing i would use out ...
Page: 1

Ok so i figured its time to buy or make a new computer. The only thing i would use out of my pc im using now is a intel 3.06 processor just to save some money because I figured 3.06 isn't all that bad right? ok so i started the search for a good store and wanted to start at cases and motherboards so i got searching and started seeing these duo cores. I'll try to make this shorter with just my questions

its dual processors topped on top of each other? or 1 with dual cores(chips w/e)? made that confusing but do you see where im going with this?

since its dual they would heat up faster right ? so would it be smart to get water cooling ?

is it really worth the money or would it be smarter to just get a plain motherboard and use my 3.06 Pentium i already have?( i dont do any gaming really)

putting that aside I want to try linux if any linux users are out there I wanna know some pros and cons from windows xp to linux. I'll be starting school in a few months possibly in Java developing so i need broaden my computer experience...

I got alot more question so if you use linux or have intel duo pc get in here pls thx in advance.

no one?

as u stated there, u dont do any gaming so i suggest stick with the single core.
    for better performance, like running multiple CPU using programs dual core is better.
    but single core is fine as long as u dont tend to torture ur pc.

as u stated there, u dont do any gaming so i suggest stick with the single core.
    for better performance, like running multiple CPU using programs dual core is better.
    but single core is fine as long as u dont tend to torture ur pc.[/b]
    Well thats what im leaning towards but I would like to run linux and looking at some demos of it, it looks like a OS that uses alot of visual effects so thats mostly why I been thinking about getting something a little faster but I dont know how much money I should put in a pc.

well in that case dual cores arent expensive and single cores are a bit outdated... i have dual core on my laptop and i am satisfied with it. just be sure to have alot ram memory because everything depends on that.