KO not working after installing graphics card

This is a discussion on KO not working after installing graphics card within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I just installed an Nvidia GEforce 9400 graphics card on my computer and ko hasn't been working properly since. I ...
Page: 1

K.S. King Senior Member Avariofvalequenta's Avatar

Default KO not working after installing graphics card

I just installed an Nvidia GEforce 9400 graphics card on my computer and ko hasn't been working properly since. I can't get passed the username/pw without losing an internet connection. I tried reinstalling the game, and now it won't even begin patching so I can't get to the update complete to start the game.

Have u tried any other games?

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

The obvious thing to suggest here, is updating drivers and directX. Both are a good move after installing a new graphics card.

The graphics card is really unlikely to be responsible for a dropped internet connection though
    . Any mroe details you can give us to the order of things which happen before it crashes? disconnects? something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    The obvious thing to suggest here, is updating drivers and directX. Both are a good move after installing a new graphics card.

The graphics card is really unlikely to be responsible for a dropped internet connection though
    . Any mroe details you can give us to the order of things which happen before it crashes? disconnects? something else?
    Before I put the new graphics card in, I installed Directx10 which is the newest version. After the cd install of the new graphics card it there was an option to update the drivers, so I tried, but it said I have the latest install of drivers along with "would you like to install your older drivers and replace your newer ones?" It automatically updated all of the drivers after the graphics card was installed.

In order of things that happened in sequence before I reinstalled KO:

1: I was able to log right after the graphics card installation for 10 min. then dced.
    2: I was able to get "update complete," type my username and pw, but then it would stop going any further. No yellow words of premium indication at the top, it would stay at the screen with the falling leaves.
    3. I would then have to press alt+f4 to exit out of that page that was loading, and when I looked at my internet connection, there was none. Immediately after exiting the KO loading screen, my internet came back on and I was able to go on firefox.
    4: I reinstalled KO after doing step 1-3 over and over and nothing changing. Now I'm not recieving any patches from when you first install the game, or any update complete.

To the other question above, I haven't tried to play any other games besides windows games like chess, and they seemed to be working fine.

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

Possibly your anti-virus / security software doesn't like the packets KO is sending / receiving and is terminating the connection? Sounds highly unusual to me though. Have you tried logging a different account?

I'm not playing KO at the moment, so I dunno if they have put back in Xcrap or anything which might be causing this.

You might want to try running KO in windowed mode (select from the game options button on the launcher) - then you can monitor any messages from windows about your internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Possibly your anti-virus / security software doesn't like the packets KO is sending / receiving and is terminating the connection? Sounds highly unusual to me though. Have you tried logging a different account?

I'm not playing KO at the moment, so I dunno if they have put back in Xcrap or anything which might be causing this.

You might want to try running KO in windowed mode (select from the game options button on the launcher) - then you can monitor any messages from windows about your internet connection.
    Ya that occurred to me too. I uninstalled my anit-virus which was avast, to see if it was the problem. I can now get to the place where you select which server to log into but then the internet connection goes dead again. I've tried to log into a different account and the same thing happens. Every time I load KO it's like my computer is dragging ass and doesn't have the internet connection capability to run it, it's struggling. Browsing web sites and watching video are faster and clearer than ever because of the new graphics card, except for KO. I have a feeling that in my settings somewhere, something is blocking or holding back KO from running properly. I couldn't get to the window mode in game, because I can't even log in without my internet going down. I'm appreciating the suggestions though, so keep them coming =)

I downloaded another mmo (Shaiya) and the game wasn't running properly either. I've updated all of my drivers, and everything is compatible. I tried running the card and KO on the lowest 16-bit setting. Uninstalling/reinstalling KO more than once from bigdownload.com, manually downloading and extracting all of the patches up to date, I even went as far as uninstalling my anit-virus program. I have directx10 installed (Vista), is it possible that KO is not compatible and I need to try using directx 8.1 or 9?
    Last edited by Avariofvalequenta; 08-04-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Gravediggaz Senior Member gregg's Avatar

Bump for my brother before I go to work