Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My BF new computer

This is a discussion on My BF new computer within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; He is going to be getting a second GTX 285 later for SLI. Also the GTX 285 has better Core ...
Page: 2

Shawntay

He is going to be getting a second GTX 285 later for SLI. Also the GTX 285 has better Core Clock, Shader Clock and Memory Clock speeds then the GTX 295.

Motherboard:
    Don't get an EVGA x58 Classified if you don't plan to throw the best computer parts at the computer (double the price), just get the regular one that I suggested.[/b]
    What do you mean don't plan on throwing the best computer parts at it ?

What would be better to throw at it ?

285 SLI

Pros:
    A little bit better than a single 295

Cons:
    Two 285's cost nearly twice as much as a 295
    You will have to get the 1000W PSU (More Money)
    It will be much harder on his Power Bill
    More Heat

295 Single

Pros:
    Look at the 285 SLI Cons
    It can play Everything on the market maxed, and it will for maybe up to two years (new games/maxed) and will still play new games (not maxed) for years afterwards

Cons:
    Its a little bit slower than the SLI but look at the 2nd Pro point of it.

These are not little mid-range cards, you don't even need a third of the 295's power to be able to play every game on the market.

Example of this comparison:
    GTX295 is a 70" LCD Television
    GTX285 SLI is an 80" LCD Television that will cost twice as much

Shawntay

What would be the best computer parts to throw at it then ?

http://www.ko4life.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=2463531

I'v been doing my homework for this stuff since December, I know how to build an i7 computer fairly well with given Budgets but I can reccomend something cheaper if you would like.

This is my Rig Btw.

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S
    CPU: Intel i7 920
    Motherboard: EvGA x58
    RAM/Memory: G.Skill 6GB DDR3-1600Mhz
    Graphic Card: EVGA Geforce GTX260
    Harddrive: Western Digital 640GB 32MB
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W

evilwevel

got the same case and gfx card

the gtx 260 is a good mid range budget card. it isn't a real beast when you enable AA, but it does the job.

btw, when you're in doubt and want some professional feedback on gfx cards or motherboards, just type the name in google. most of the time you'll end up with an article from tomshardware.com (which is the best you can get when you want some in depth info on hardware parts)

The GTX260 is between Mid & High and is fairly priced. :lol:

Mid-range would be the 8800/9800GT or 9800GTX+ and such when talking about Nvidia cards.

EDIT: About the x58 Classified, don't get that unless you plan on buying the $1000 i7 965 CPU and 2-3 GTX295's or something, its made just for extreme system builders and its more complicated to use when getting the computer all setup.

Shawntay

got the same case and gfx card

the gtx 260 is a good mid range budget card. it isn't a real beast when you enable AA, but it does the job.

btw, when you're in doubt and want some professional feedback on gfx cards or motherboards, just type the name in google. most of the time you'll end up with an article from tomshardware.com (which is the best you can get when you want some in depth info on hardware parts)[/b]
    Alright thanks! I will keep on doing some research about this!

The GTX260 is between Mid & High and is fairly priced. :lol:

Mid-range would be the 8800/9800GT or 9800GTX+ and such when talking about Nvidia cards.

EDIT: About the x58 Classified, don't get that unless you plan on buying the $1000 i7 965 CPU and 2-3 GTX295's or something, its made just for extreme system builders and its more complicated to use when getting the computer all setup.[/b]
    I can buy the x58 Classified now and always upgrade in the future to more GTX 295's and get a better i7!

Alright thanks! I will keep on doing some research about this!

I can buy the x58 Classified now and always upgrade in the future to more GTX 295's and get a better i7![/b]
    Thats completely unnecessary.

I honestly do doubt you know how powerfull that the GTX295 is for the computer, its all that he will need for a long time because its $500 for a reason.

The Intel i7 965 is a big waste of money even though its the most powerfull public CPU in the world, the i7 920 is about 1/4 of the price and its still way up there at the top. Many computer builders call buying anything over the 920 being a waste of money and stupid. :unsure:

CeFurkan

your harddisk is suck

you should make at least raid 0 for that system

I'l add in some information here for when Shawntay see's this topic again.

Intel i7 920 CPU
    There is a new version of the Intel i7 920 CPU coming out thats replacing all of the old ones on the market for the same price, soon you will get that whenever you order a 920. There are some cases where it nearly matched the i7 965 after some heavy duty overclocking, the old 965 will be replaced with the 975 with the same upgrades. The modification to the chips are making it so it takes less Volts which means you can get roughly 400-600mhz more from the chip. The original i7 920 is still perfectly fine and awesome as hell for those of us who already have it, its just easier to overclock (less heat/more mhz).

Intel i7 965 CPU
    Unless you plan to use dry ice or liquid nitrogen for a redneck project, its a waste of $700. h34r:

Classified x58 vs Normal x58
    Your paying an extra $100-150 for no performance increase, unless you wish to pay at least $3k for parts.

RAID 0
    It improves your HD speeds but its not needed, but if they wish to go with that then I would suggest two Western Digital 640GB Caviers (32mb cache)

GTX285 SLI vs Single GTX295
    Why pay an extra $600-700 and with more power consumption (power bill) for a 10% increase in graphics power when the GTX295 can already kick every games ass for the next few years at max settings and a high resolution. The GTX260 is only $200 and is not too far behind the GTX280, but I don't know the differences between the 280 and 285.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12