Need help buying a new hard drive

This is a discussion on Need help buying a new hard drive within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...728&lang=en I have no idea what I need to look for. Also is it hard to install? GFX card, and ...
Page: 1

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...728&lang=en

I have no idea what I need to look for. Also is it hard to install? GFX card, and RAM was easy to install... is it just take out the old wires from old HD and put it in the new?
    help me find a good deal for a hd
    thanks guys

up

evilwevel

i just plugged it in, formatted it and after that everything worked fine.

im not sure what kind of harddrive connection i need? does it matter or does a computer have all connections for any kind of hard drive?

Banned

im not sure what kind of harddrive connection i need? does it matter or does a computer have all connections for any kind of hard drive?[/b]
    open up your computer locate the current hard drive, take a look at the cables going off it...

SATA Connector

IDE Connector

if its a SATA then you buy a SATA hard drive if its a IDE you buy a IDE hard drive, i looked at that link you gave us and it says its a SATA but double check anyway

thanks man...

evilwevel

most up to date computers have both, just check for these types of connections :

if your motherboard has both like this one (they might be in a diffrent place, but 90% of the time sata connections are orange, purple, that kind of colors. IDE is white or blue most of the time. always use the blue / colored connector for fast connections btw) i would go for a sata drivi, because it's much faster.

ps : for al diehards : yes i know the black one can't be used for a hdd, it's for a smaller plug (floppy drive)

Banned

thanks man...[/b]
    np

most up to date computers have both, just check for these types of connections :

if your motherboard has both like this one (they might be in a diffrent place, but 90% of the time sata connections are orange, purple, that kind of colors. IDE is white or blue most of the time. always use the blue / colored connector for fast connections btw) i would go for a sata drivi, because it's much faster.

ps : for al diehards : yes i know the black one can't be used for a hdd, it's for a smaller plug (floppy drive)[/b]
    and i didn't know new PCs had both maybe it time for me to update o.O

Da Camel Senior Member Killing spree's Avatar

on the link you posted it says:

Serial ATA

* 4 SATA connectors
    * Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive[/b]
    and on the pic of the mobo, it allso shows 2 IDE conenctions
    Which means (as said a couple post above) that you can connect both Sata & Ide HDD to you r mobo

Call me Ghosty Senior Member SuperGhost's Avatar

Computer's Manufacturer:
    Model Number:

I'll tell you everything you need to know about your computer and what you should be looking for when you decide to upgrade your RAM, Graphic Card and such...

evilwevel

np
    and i didn't know new PCs had both maybe it time for me to update o.O[/b]
    most new motherboards have both nowadays.

just watch how much IDE connectors it has, mine only has one so i had to disconnect one old HDD because my dvd player and my other old HDD use that IDE cable :lol:

Hypnos

You should get a SATA drive, since your computer has SATA ports. It's faster than IDE.

It's dead easy to hook it up a SATA drive. It's pretty much plug-in and go. At most you might have to enable the drive in the BIOS (and that's only if you're adding it as a secondary drive).

^^ Yea just go get 10,000 or 15,000 RPM Harddrive Sata

evilwevel

yeah, go buy one of those WD VelociRaptors :lol: 10,000 rpm, 3 GB/sec interface, 16 mb cache. to bad they cost €250 for a 300 GB hdd <_<

CaVity

Deskstar 7K1000

Key Features
    Size: 3.5 inches
    Capacities: 1 TB
    750 GB
    Speed: 7,200 RPM
    Interfaces: SATA 3.0 Gb/s
    Seek Time: 8.5 ms read
    9.2 ms write

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/m...da9f30eac4f0a0/