Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need help with my computer

This is a discussion on Need help with my computer within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; i would say you have faulty ram or your something in your operating system is messed up if taking the ...
Page: 2

Banned

i would say you have faulty ram or your something in your operating system is messed up if taking the extra ram out doesnt work i would try reinstalling your operating system unless someone else can find less drastic measures

Banned

i also forgot to add something.

when i installed the new RAM and hard drive i didnt have enough link cables to conect everything, so i had to leave my 2nd cd ROM unplugged (meaning is not working atm cuz only my first DVD/CD rom is conected). may i be getting an error for that?

Banned

no that wouldn't matter do what superghost said

Banned

i have deepfreeze and dont have the pw, ill have to wait until tomorrow to get it and ill see if i can fix this, but im sure its either the new RAM memory or the new hard drive, cuz it was fine before that >_>

Call me Ghosty Senior Member SuperGhost's Avatar

i have deepfreeze and dont have the pw, ill have to wait until tomorrow to get it and ill see if i can fix this, but im sure its either the new RAM memory or the new hard drive, cuz it was fine before that >_>[/b]
    Well then why don't you just unplug the new RAM and if you still get the error message then you know it's HDD, just to make sure you bought the correct type of RAM/HDD right?

Banned

i had 256 DDR 400, and i bought 1gb DDR 400 0.0

i had 256 DDR 400, and i bought 1gb DDR 400 0.0[/b]
    You didn't check if it was SIMM or DIMM, did you?

Banned

no :/

no :/[/b]
    *Sigh* Motherboards are designed to handle one type of RAM, its either SIMM or DIMM. Take a look at your old RAM it should say somewhere if it's SIMM or DIMM then compare it with your new RAM if they are different well you know the problem...

SIMM+SIMM= OK
    DIMM+DIMM= OK
    SIMM+DIMM= NOT OK

Same for HDD such as ATA and SATA

Banned

ok ill check that tomorrow, thanks for the help, i really appreciated.

But it still recognizes it even if its not same SIMM and DIMM right? cuz it says i have 1.25gb RAM...

ok ill check that tomorrow, thanks for the help, i really appreciated.

But it still recognizes it even if its not same SIMM and DIMM right? cuz it says i have 1.25gb RAM...[/b]
    The main problem here is that you mixed up your RAMs which you shouldn't have done. You should always try to match up your RAMs for example if you have 2 RAM slots then you need 2 same type of RAMs( 2x 1GB RAM or 2x 512MB RAM) now that your RAMs mixed it's causing problems. I need to know more about your motherboard...

Possible Solution: Get rid of the old RAM and buy another 1GB RAM to match it up with the other one.

Banned

like what?
    and u mean mixing up my RAM memories gonna damage my computer or is it fixable?
    i mean if i take out my 256 one and put another one same as the one i bought, it will run fine?
    posting this in case it helps..

also a possible solution would be taking out the 256 RAM memory and stay with the 1gb one?

like what?
    and u mean mixing up my RAM memories gonna damage my computer or is it fixable?
    i mean if i take out my 256 one and put another one same as the one i bought, it will run fine?
    posting this in case it helps..

also a possible solution would be taking out the 256 RAM memory and stay with the 1gb one?[/b]
    Mixed RAMs will still work yet it's not highly recommened at all since you are already facing with random restart problems. By taking out 256MB RAM you will still face with another problems since it needs a pair to match. Get rid of 256MB RAM and buy another 1GB RAM it'll be alot better, preferably the same manufacturer and same speed. Also make sure to check your RAM type (SIMM or DIMM).

Long Story in Short

1) Get rid of 256MB if can't afford to buy another 1GB RAM then buy 256MB RAM and have 512MB RAM till you have enough money to buy another 1GB RAM,
    2) SIMM or DIMM,
    3) Always try to match manufacturer/speed/ as closely as possible,
    4) I'm tired if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them TOMORROW xD

Banned

just took out the 256 ram and running with 1gb only.
    dont think ill have any problems cuz ive been running my comp with 256 ram only for the past 2 years, and never needed a match ._.
    anyway, ill follow ur advice

JimXrOx

its obvious u are having Dimm type of RAM (Simm always needs to be Pair). by the way why u have Deep Freeze installed :unsure:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast