Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with purchase of RAM

This is a discussion on Need help with purchase of RAM within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; http://bestbuy.upgradebase.com/result.asp?...p;modelid=59287 Okay that's my computer. I don't know which ram to pick. and if i go to another store i ...
Page: 1

aka Manipulation Senior Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar

http://bestbuy.upgradebase.com/result.asp?...p;modelid=59287

Okay that's my computer. I don't know which ram to pick. and if i go to another store i don't know which ram is compatible with my computer.

im guessing 400 mhz is a slow ram right? so what good. whats not to find in a ram.

My computer has more stuff in it than yours - and i find it real laggy.

Ram is ram, its to hold data till the computer is turned off (RaM = random access memory) which deletes itself when power is lost, my ram is 1500+ w/e cbf'd saying i texactly (528 or someshit)

MHz dosent mean anything with the ram it just depends on how much ram you have and how much you are doing with it - But ram can also help store data so you can login games faster etc etc without loading it all up again from 0%.

Try and get atleaast another 1 Gig of ram - but buy ram from the makers of your computer (Compaq i presume is yours, get the right RAM for your model (could cost like £50))

because getting a diffrent RAM type and make could damage the slot and damage the computer.

Ash

Actually, RAM speed does matter, else noone would create faster ram, and noone would buy faster ram, for example ddr2 and ddr3.
    Ram is used to hold your applications in the memory while they run for quicker access, the faster the ram, the quicker it can access the data in the ram, meaning faster response.

Also, using diffrent ram manufacturers will NOT damage your slots or your computer in any way, but, as you are using a OEM computer(in your case, HP/Compaq) there can sometimes be compability issues, but that is very rarley on newer computers, you just have to pick the same memorytype: ddr for ddr, and not ddr2 with ddr, because they have diffrent kinds of slots(dont know if cammy meant this), and the ram simply wont fit, even if you take a hmmer and try to make it fit :P.

On Topic:
    Im guessing your using PC3200(400MHz), and your computer has a graphics card that has shared ram(i looked up your computer here: http://www.amazon.com/Presario-SR1930NX-De...e/dp/B000GBORIY ), so if ya got the cash, buy 1 gb, if not even 512 more would be a good increase to your computer performance. If it was me, id go for one of the more well known manufacturers, for example corsair(i dont know the prices in your country), but it the money is an issue, you can pick any less known manufacturer, wont be any problem there.

And if your gonna buy from another store, look for 'PC3200 DDR DIMM' memory(note: if your ram is slower, and you buy faster ram speed than you have, the new ram will slow itself down to your ram speed, so no real problem there).

Hope that helped

With my comp i just put in the code which is on a sticker on the computer and i get all downloads/info about it on the manufacturer website so many check your manufacturers site see if it has a similar function.

This place always comes in handy for me, take a look.
    http://www.pricewatch.com/memory/ddr_pc3200_1gb.htm

bazzeeka

Yeh PC3200 .. is your best bet .. im totally in agree with ash since i build computers Faster the Mhz more the ram Amp's up alot in your computer PC3200 is gettin old now but its all your computer will handle , these days every think runs in dual channel getting a 1gig stick in a dual channel DDR ram system on your mobo would be shit best of running dual 512's in each channel making 1gig total. if you wanna go big they actually do make PCI expansion cards for more Random access memory but they would only run under a bandwidth of 133mhz bus between the bridge's on your mobo.

thanks all for your comments. any reccommendations for a ram? with link would b good and the pricewatch place their ram products say for amd/intel. would it still work w/ mine?

I always thought the Ram memory had to match, if you had 512 had to get another 512(Edit* Just thought this one over Lol). And I also think that you would need to get a DDR stick since thats all that will fit in your PC.

MillionVoices

go to newegg or tigerdirect.com

Ash

Yep, that will work just fine

MillionVoices

God here u noob.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=ULT31664

I dont want to see you paying 120 USD for same shit which is 54 $ here

Circuit fucking city is for lamers

whoa it was $60 yesterday :S was waiting for another answer before i bought it... zzz

MillionVoices

Its Fully compatible with your PC.

you dont need any other answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast