New Desktop Soon..HELP

This is a discussion on New Desktop Soon..HELP within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Okay,it's finally time for me to buy a new Desktop!I've had this laptop for about 4 years and it's really ...
Page: 1

Okay,it's finally time for me to buy a new Desktop!I've had this laptop for about 4 years and it's really bad.I just need help on buying a new computer;I went on Dell.CA to check out their XPS Desktops and it looks like they're pretty good but a little expensive.Most of our computers at home are Dell and they have amazing CS and I think it would be worth the money anyways cause it will last long.

Anyways,I checked out the XPS 630 and customized it a little bit and here it is overall:

PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™2 Q9400 (6MB,2.66GHz, 1333FSB)
    MEMORY - 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)
    GRAPHICS CARD - SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB

That's all I'm going to post because the PC I want is for gaming and I believe there is no need for me to post the other stuff on here.So please tell me,is this good?bad?Or anything you have to say.I want this Desktop to last me along time and I hope it does.Also I you may ask why the hell 8gb of RAM!?!...Well when I was talking to the Dell Online Support,they told me that 8GB is better because your computer will be able to last longer etc etc...

Thanks,
    Xero

ImSoDemon

Might need a better GFX Card for future games.

Okay,it's finally time for me to buy a new Desktop!I've had this laptop for about 4 years and it's really bad.I just need help on buying a new computer;I went on Dell.CA to check out their XPS Desktops and it looks like they're pretty good but a little expensive.Most of our computers at home are Dell and they have amazing CS and I think it would be worth the money anyways cause it will last long.

Anyways,I checked out the XPS 630 and customized it a little bit and here it is overall:

PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™2 Q9400 (6MB,2.66GHz, 1333FSB)
    MEMORY - 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)
    GRAPHICS CARD - SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB

That's all I'm going to post because the PC I want is for gaming and I believe there is no need for me to post the other stuff on here.So please tell me,is this good?bad?Or anything you have to say.I want this Desktop to last me along time and I hope it does.Also I you may ask why the hell 8gb of RAM!?!...Well when I was talking to the Dell Online Support,they told me that 8GB is better because your computer will be able to last longer etc etc...

Thanks,
    Xero[/b]
    Just as a double-check... I'm guessing you are going to go with a 64-bit operating system? Otherwise if you get a 32-bit operating system, it's not going to recognize/utilize 8GB of ram.

R.I.P Impulsive Senior Member jaspreet's Avatar

Personal Opinion. Your wasting time buying 8gb of DDR2 RAM. Buy 4gb or even 2gb is enough of DDR3 RAM. Cheaper than most people give it credit (i would know as i have bought them myself). you can get 2gb for about $120 so keep that in mind for Ram. Plus 64bit operating systems sucks ass, so you may want to rethink that before purchasing it.

sexyrexy

imo id switch the q9400 out with a core i7 920, they are practically same price

evilwevel

imo id switch the q9400 out with a core i7 920, they are practically same price[/b]
    that would be quite hard, since they don't use the same socket. you would have to change the motherboard as well.

Get yourself a Custom Computer, you could either keep more money in your pocket for the same system or get a better system for the same price.

If your not up to building it yourself with your own hands, buy the parts from NCIX and have them build and test it for you at the cost of only $50.

The only disadvantage with this is you will not get a monthly payment plan like from dell, each part of your computer will still have a warranty through the manufacturer incase something happens to your computer.