Riddle me this...

This is a discussion on Riddle me this... within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; k heres my problem and i cant figure out how to fix it... my comp stopped recognizing my sata hd ...
Page: 1

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

k heres my problem and i cant figure out how to fix it...

my comp stopped recognizing my sata hd as main hd...it was the only hd i had installed in the comp

it still recognized the hd was connected, but considered it a secondary drive not a main drive

it wouldnt let me format, get to repair screen, or even reinstall windows on it

so i installed old old hd from my very old comp(dont ask why i still had it) which was the old kinda hd before SATA(cant remember name, with the skinny wide coords that connect to mobo)...anyway comp recognized that as main hd right away and i was able to install windows and get everything to work like that and can even access old hd(after reformatting it) as a secondary drive... but if i ever take out that hd i go back to same problem of sata drive not being recognized as main drive

but that hd sucks <_< like 2800 rpm and 20gb hd space lol

so anyway my problem:
    how the fuck can i get my comp to recognize SATA drive as main drive again so that i can install windows on it and use it like i used to <_<

if it were a driver problem it wouldnt recognize the hd at all right? but it recognizes it it just wont let it be main hd...im really confused <_<

evilwevel

when you first start up your computer you have to press a button (f1,del,f12, something like that). just look at your screen it always says which button does what (first screen that pops up when you start your computer).

all you have to do is enter setup (or whatever it&#39;s called on your pc, might be called bios setup, bios, boot menu) once you get there there should be a subsection about drives. in there you can select main drives and determine if it should try to boot from cd first etc.

when you first start up your computer you have to press a button (f1,del,f12, something like that). just look at your screen it always says which button does what (first screen that pops up when you start your computer).

all you have to do is enter setup (or whatever it&#39;s called on your pc, might be called bios setup, bios, boot menu) once you get there there should be a subsection about drives. in there you can select main drives and determine if it should try to boot from cd first etc.[/b]
    done all that if only it were that simple lol <_< fact is when i set it to load sata as main drive(or when sata is the only drive available) it refuses to acknowledge the drive exists, itll appear as a loaded drive(like itll show it exists in the startup) but when it gets time to format/install OS it says drive doesnt exist...but when the other old hd is there itll acknowledge that the sata drive is present but is secondary

evilwevel

done all that if only it were that simple lol <_< fact is when i set it to load sata as main drive(or when sata is the only drive available) it refuses to acknowledge the drive exists, itll appear as a loaded drive(like itll show it exists in the startup) but when it gets time to format/install OS it says drive doesnt exist...but when the other old hd is there itll acknowledge that the sata drive is present but is secondary[/b]
    and with the second HDD in place, are you able to format the good HHD, update your motherboard&#39;s drivers, then take out the old HDD again. or does it still crash that way ?

your in luck lol. yesterday i bought a sata disk for the first time, took me 6 hours to install it.

when you run your computer with the old hdd, the 20 gig one, can you still access the sata hd? if you cant your sata drivers got screwed. i had a problem where my windows installation didnt see the sata disk, cuz they didn&#39;t have the sata drivers for my motherboard. you can fix it by pressing f6 on the very beginning at the installation of windows, and putting a floppy with the correct sata drivers. or if you don&#39;t have floppy like in my case, i took a windows installation cd, implemented the correct sata drivers and burned the installation on a blank cd and it worked,

drivers are installed properly and up to date, same with bios

Banned

sounds like the drive is bad. or the sata cable is bad. a fan may have hit it or you have taken your pc to a lan party in the cold and moved the cable from it being frozen. Ive seen some wierd shit before. try these things to fix it.

1. use a different sata cable
    2. use a different sata power connector. from a defferent lead.
    3. try to connect the sata cable to SATA2 spot on the board.
    4. Reset your cmos. a jumper next to the mobo battery.
    5. Try a different SATA drive. ( use a friends and if you start to see windows come up Turn pc off before the HD starts to load resources from your mobo) Or go buy a new one.

well anyway i figured it out

my sata drivers were corrupt and/or gone somehow...ones i downloaded from my mobos official site were missing files(rofl gg company)

but after a lotta looking i was able to find the original cd mobo came with...on it was an option to dl the drivers for floppy use, so dl&#39;d those used em when comp asked for em and comps fixed!!