Is it possible to swap out an integrated gfx card?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to swap out an integrated gfx card? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; So I had to buy this comp at the last minute before college because Dell sucks and didn't have my ...
Page: 1

So I had to buy this comp at the last minute before college because Dell sucks and didn't have my pre-ordered comp ready for school... and ONCE again I'm stuck with integrated gfx. I can still play a lot of good games, but I'm fucking sick and tired of looking at new games and thinking 1/100 chance of this running on my comp. Is it possible to swap out/set up a dual gfx card system? Even if I have to make some sort of external-USB-Connected Frankenstein set up. Is it at ALL possible? Any info would be appriciated. =)

if you hook up a new gfx card and install the drivers for it, it will take over as ur primary gfx card. just look to see what slots you have, should be pci-e, and buy a decent card. Any new card you get should be atleast 50x better than ur integrated gfx =/

Oh forgot to mention one of the most important facts... it's a lappy. =/

Laptop is completely different situation ask desptop pc, because as u see everything is miniature in laptop. Depends on model, there might be room for another gfx card and there might not be room. I myself have a HP dv6000 laptop too and when i bought it i only watched those laptops that have gfx card not intergrated and mine is geforce go 7400 128 mb. So u can blame urself for buying laptop with integrated gfx card ( ) or i really dont know if there can be added gfx card via usb because my gfx card isn't one of the best too

yeah it was a last minute buy because it was 2 days before college lol... I guess I'll search the web for ideas. I should patent usb gfx cards if it hasn't been done yet lol.

there are external usb gfx cards u can use with a laptop.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display...0111060818.html

although usb is pretty slow and alot of the cards power would be wasted due to bandwidth. usb allows for like 60mb/s, but a decent gfx card would require up to 5+gb/s to get its full power.

But if you really want to play all the newer games well, I would just suggest investing in a good desktop pc as well.

Well i dont claim to be expert, but from what i know about PC prices in my country it can be cheaper to buy a whole desctop PC that can run KO + some newer games than to buy one of better graph. cards for laptop... I mean i have CPU 2 GHz, 4 GB RAM and 256 MB graph. card and over here for the same amount of cash i couldnt have half of that in a laptop.

So, if u have cash, maybe u should concider going to closest hardware shop and simply buying w/e u want... And im pretty sure laptops arent meant for serious (call it pro if u want :lol: ) gaming anyway. CS and KO sure, but latest FPS games, or RPGs and RTSes with all those shiny particle effects? I dunno :lol:

Banned

im quite sure that you CANT put a new a graphich card in a laptop. My Cousin works in a lil firm named Zepto, and i asked him, atleast by Zepto, there´s a "standard" graphich card in each comp, and it cant be changed out (well some products might be able, but its hard to finda graphich card that fits 100%, + u wont be able to install it yourself). So yea =/