problem with pc

This is a discussion on problem with pc within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hey guys i have a problem with my second pc, was hoping to get some help from you tech heads ...
Page: 1

Default problem with pc

Hey guys i have a problem with my second pc, was hoping to get some help from you tech heads instead of paying for someone to fix it. Its had this problem before and my cousin fixed it quite fast but he's away now and i need help

Ok basically what happens is i turn the pc on it starts to load, comes up saying CPU has been changed please re enter CPU settings in CMOS memory. Ok i press F1 to continue it comes to a screen where it says secondary master SATA device not found, then it goes to another screen giving me 4 options

safe mode
    safe mode networking
    safe mode command prompt

would you like to start windows normally normally?

from memory no matter which one i choose it does the same, having problems with keyboard atm so i cant select any and it just counts down about 30 seconds and tries to start windows normally. It does so and then blue screens saying problem has been detected and windows has shut down.
    what confuses me is that nothing did get changed it just started doing it one day. ANy adivce or tips would be welcome

was really hoping for some help, i know theres some computer smart people that read this forum! bump

blackpaddle

Quote Originally Posted by Painf00l View Post
    was really hoping for some help, i know theres some computer smart people that read this forum! bump
    how old are those motherboard/ram/harddisk (mostly i see this 3part 1st)

I would control the harddisk first and maybe the motherboard battery???

To be honest if it's losing it's settings it sounds like the CMOS battery is fucked

Couple things you can try

1st - Reset the BIOS, find the JP1 motherboard jumper and alter it's position. Switch on PC, then switch off, put jumper where it was before then accept all default settings

2nd - If it blue screens you need to go back to basics. Unplug EVERYTHING from the computer except the BIOS battery, Processor , RAM - plugin the monitor to the onboard VGA (if it has one), then start adding components one at a time until you find the doo doo. If you find a hdd with the problem then try swapping it for a different sata cable

thanks for the replies guys, and puggy i think your on the right track with the BIOS. I think ill pull it apart and do what you said. I rang up a guy to get a quote to fix it and he said very similar things to what you've mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Painf00l View Post
    thanks for the replies guys, and puggy i think your on the right track with the BIOS. I think ill pull it apart and do what you said. I rang up a guy to get a quote to fix it and he said very similar things to what you've mentioned.
    I always believe in fault finding the systems down to component level. Tools are quicker but most people lack the knowledge to understand what to do if they dont' work

Depending if your CMOS battery is soldered in or not, you may be able to just replace it. They're usually a couple of quid.

Order I'd do it

- BIOS > Test, if still failing then
    - CMOS Battery Replace > Test, if still failing then
    - Each component > Test, if still failing then
    - Get a PSU tester / multimeter. PSU could be shagged

If your brother was there for couple minutes probably jsut reset the BIOS. When you get unreadable devices, it's normally a case of swapping the cables / ports they're plugged into

I had a case of a PC where it looked as if the mobo was busted, actually turned out to be the HDD in the end

Additionally - seriously don't bother paying people to fix it, the web is full of knowledge that is free.