Question about Windows XP PRO SP3

This is a discussion on Question about Windows XP PRO SP3 within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Can I use "Microsoft windows xp pro sp3" on this computer?: Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Chassi: Antec Three Hundred ...
Page: 1

Banned

Default Question about Windows XP PRO SP3

Can I use "Microsoft windows xp pro sp3" on this computer?:

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Chassi: Antec Three Hundred (svart)
    CPU: Intel core i7 920 2,66GHz Socket 1366 Box
    Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
    DVD-reader: SAMSUNG DVD±R/RW/RAM DL 22X SATA BULK SVART
    Harddisk: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 32MB 1TB
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL9 2x2GB
    Graphic-card: Asus GeForce ENGTX260 GL+/2DI/896MD3 896MB

Yes you can

Black Irish Senior Member sir_locksley's Avatar

I wouldn't tho... considering you have 4 gb of RAM u should be running a 64 bit operating system.

You can choose from Windows 7 and Windows Vista for 64 bit. There is a small chance that you can use Windows XP 64 bit, but drivers for newer or much of any hardware isnt really produced for XP 64 bit, so you probably can't considering how new those parts are. I am personally running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and im loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_locksley View Post
    I wouldn't tho... considering you have 4 gb of RAM u should be running a 64 bit operating system.

You can choose from Windows 7 and Windows Vista for 64 bit. There is a small chance that you can use Windows XP 64 bit, but drivers for newer or much of any hardware isnt really produced for XP 64 bit, so you probably can't considering how new those parts are. I am personally running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and im loving it.
    There are ways to make it see that other 512mb of ram :P

But yeah, forgot about the 64-bit wasn't paying attention to memory requirements

Just want to say that 32bit system will use about 3,4 gb of 4 gb so when he will instal 64bit system there will be no difference. I would say go to xp 32bit u will not see the difference and I'm thinking that in your case it's gonna be better choise.

Quote Originally Posted by silversin View Post
    Just want to say that 32bit system will use about 3,4 gb of 4 gb so when he will instal 64bit system there will be no difference. I would say go to xp 32bit u will not see the difference and I'm thinking that in your case it's gonna be better choise.
    32-bit version of windows XP are limited to 3.5Gb RAM IIRC hence the above remark by someone else - this is fixed by upgrading to 64-bit windows where the memory limits is something like 128gb or you can hack a couple of files on the machine to see the extra memory although whether it will work is debatable

Quote Originally Posted by puggy306td View Post
    32-bit version of windows XP are limited to 3.5Gb RAM IIRC hence the above remark by someone else - this is fixed by upgrading to 64-bit windows where the memory limits is something like 128gb or you can hack a couple of files on the machine to see the extra memory although whether it will work is debatable

Changeing files will just show that u have more than 3 gb ram so in his case 4 gb but it will still use just 3.4 gb there is no chance that 32 bit windows will use more that 3.4 gb ram and it's dose'nt matter if it will be xp, vista or w7 to use (not to see) 4 gb and more he will need instal 64 bits version, but like I said with 4 gb ram there is no point to do this cuz it will not help and system will be slower, in my opinion ofc., I've got 4 gb and I have been testing really a lot of options of 32-bit and 64-bit systems and the best for me have been and is windows xp sp3 pro 32 bit. If he will upgrade hes ram to more than 6gb really soon he should instal 64 bit version of windows if he will stay with 4gb I will say instal xp 32 bit till they will create stable w7 with all drivers and progs for that system. Sry for poor english and one more time, it's just my point of view.