Ram Memory

This is a discussion on Ram Memory within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I'm planning to buy buy a new mainboard and processor. But the mainboard i'm planning to buy has 4 x ...
Page: 1

Da Camel Senior Member Killing spree's Avatar

I'm planning to buy buy a new mainboard and processor.
    But the mainboard i'm planning to buy has 4 x DIMM sockets of DDR3.

Specs of the DIMM sockets:
    4 DIMM Dual Channel DDR3 1066/800
    (8 GB max)

So i've been wondering, is it possible to but DDR2 Memory in DDR3 sockets?
    If the DDR2 memory was running on 800 would it be possible to put them in the DDR3 socket?

greetz killing

i have atm 4gb of patriot 800mhz in ddr3 slots n its working fine

Da Camel Senior Member Killing spree's Avatar

k thx

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

Check in the manual of the motherboard. That will vary based on the motherboard. You can normally download the manuals from the manufacturers website.

lol no need to check
    its like u can put ddr1 to ddr 2 n it ll works

Looking from the technical view, no. But maybe u can find a special motherboard that supports both.

Firstly, DDR3 runs at lower voltage than DDR2. DDR3 use 1,5V while DDR2 use 1,8V. So a DDR3 designed motherboard wont have enough voltage to supply DDR2 memory.
    Secondly, the socket are supposely to be different as well, to prevent wrong memory insertion, that can resulting a damaged RAM or motherboard.
    Thirdly, there is no way DDR memory can be used on a DDR2 motherboard, since DDR have 184 pins, while DDR2 have 240 pins

I would highly recommend to chose the correct RAM for the correct DDR socket.

PS: U can mixing slower DDR2 with faster DDR2 RAM, and vice versa. The clock speed just will run as the slowest RAM module.

ozbelcifer

I recommend that you buy at par (2x1gb, Bus800 or 1066), of course compatible with your motherboard.

evilwevel

go for DDR2 now, unless ofcourse you have enough money to spend on DDR3 (just compare two 1 gig sticks, you'll notice a slight diffrence in price :lol: )

Speed

lol no need to check
    its like u can put ddr1 to ddr 2 n it ll works[/b]
    that is certaintly not true , ddr2 and ddr sockets are different .. so they simply dont fit , i havent seen a ddr3 socket so i cant tell if its different from ddr2 but i will guess it is

so if your mobo has ddr3 sockets u better buy ddr3 ram sticks

evilwevel

DDR2 fits in DDR3 sockets just like a quad core processor fits in a 775 socket.

you can push it in, but you'll never know what'll happen (bad things probably :lol: )

ozbelcifer

goĦĦ
    Sell 2x1gb(bus 1066)