Random Laptop questions

This is a discussion on Random Laptop questions within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ok so i fail at knowing the "ins and outs" of computers so i have a few questions for you ...
Page: 1

Default Random Laptop questions

Ok so i fail at knowing the "ins and outs" of computers so i have a few questions for you guys

-cooling pad: I need a good one, i have bought two different ones but they both just topped working. I don't want to pay for a crazy expensive one, but i need a reliable one that will do the job, and keep doing it for a long time.

-processor/graphics/cooling fan(inside comp) upgrade: was wondering generally how much this would cost to upgrade to some better specs for my computer so i can run ko better and just have a better laptop in general. I know it would be cheaper to just buy them myself and put in but like i said, im terrible at that stuff and would probably break my computer lol. I know each computer person has their own prices for things but even a rough estimate would be lovely, so i know generally how much i should save up for. :P

My specs (hope this is everything you need):
    Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72
    Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    Gaming graphics 1918 MB Total available graphics memory
    Primary hard disk 166GB Free (285GB Total)

MinuteMaid

I'm confused....

You need a laptop right? If so, upgrading parts would be a no-go. The only thing upgradeable from a laptop is the RAM and maybe the hard drive. And why would anyone need a cooling pad? lol

For a computer that runs KO you'll need processor speed above everything. It's just how KO is coded. Save up for Intel i7 or i5 (better get i7 since it's quad-core and i5 "only" duo-core).

As for graphics.. Well KO doesn't need an high-end one... So anything from 100-150 bucks is good enough to run it. You can buy an high-end one which is around 200-250 bucks. But it ain't nessicary

4GB memory is good enough unless you want to go berserk and buy it for giggles.

The space of an hard drive doesn't matter at all.... It's the connection and the rpm. But any drive is good enough for KO THB. Those SSD drives are quite overkill tho

In short: Laptop = 1000-1500 usd (very nice laptop with good graphics and able to play KO without problems.. Hell it would even be able to load 7-8 clients lol) Carefull with buying any laptop under 700 since they're just utter crap and made for watching videos, msn and internet lol.

A computer alone is good for 700-900 with really the high-end stuff. You'll be able to play any game at high options you wish for the next 2-4 years.

Things you have to look for:
    processor speed = above 2.50 with 3mb cache atleast. (I think i7 are lower speed but they pwn so much lol)
    3GB memory minimum
    5400-7200 rpm hard drive
    Graphic card with 512 or 1gb memory
    A nice cooling system and power supply.

Extrem1st

iam using core2duo @ 2.4
    4gb ram
    250gb HD
    512 dedicated graphic card

it works fine most of the time but i get the screen freezing sometimes. Laptops tend to heat so fast and rams get damaged after sometime. I would say give it a second thought if ur a hardcore player, unless its your only choice. Good luck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MinuteMaid View Post

In short: Laptop = 1000-1500 usd (very nice laptop with good graphics and able to play KO without problems.. Hell it would even be able to load 7-8 clients lol) Carefull with buying any laptop under 700 since they're just utter crap and made for watching videos, msn and internet lol.

Why on earth would you spend 1000/1500 usd on an laptop, whilst for 600 euro you can get an very good one, I've bought one for 580euro, and it works just fine.. it has I3 what is perfect, i mean.. you only play ko.. that game uses almost nothing.. you do not need high end stuff. with an 128 MB video card, single core 2.3 gig processor and 512 mb ram you can play without lags...
    So just my lil piece of advice..
    Don't buy to expensive, if you won't use any of the features the expensive laptop, it is waisted money..

Just look for an good cooler, and an okay vid card and your good..

u can not upgrade ur laptop parts except ram which is already high enough in ur situation, for more hard disk space u can get external hdd which is quite good and u gonna have planty space.If u need cooling pad I suppose ur laptops fan is not working properly or its blocked by dust etc etc. U may need to clean it, If u google it u will find planty article or videos how to clean it. Just cleaning may solve ur heating problem and u wont need cooling pad ( some laptops dont has enough space underneath when they r at table to make more space for better cooling u can put a thick book under ur laptop in the middle so the fan which is probably on right side will have open space to breath, it will prevent smthg to block ur fan and u will get better cooling. )

MinuteMaid

Quote Originally Posted by HateBringer View Post
    Why on earth would you spend 1000/1500 usd on an laptop, whilst for 600 euro you can get an very good one, I've bought one for 580euro, and it works just fine.. it has I3 what is perfect, i mean.. you only play ko.. that game uses almost nothing.. you do not need high end stuff. with an 128 MB video card, single core 2.3 gig processor and 512 mb ram you can play without lags...
    So just my lil piece of advice..
    Don't buy to expensive, if you won't use any of the features the expensive laptop, it is waisted money..

Just look for an good cooler, and an okay vid card and your good..
    So you just buy a laptop to play KO? I don't think so....

You will upgrade your games in time and hell even KO will upgrade and you'll regret buying that shitty ass laptop with only I3 and 128on board graphic card.

With a laptop you gotta aim high or buy none at all