Processor Interchangable?

This is a discussion on Processor Interchangable? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hey Guyz... I'm currently with a P4 3.2Ghz with HT... not sure of the pin count on it... But just ...
Page: 1

Hey Guyz...

I'm currently with a P4 3.2Ghz with HT... not sure of the pin count on it...

But just wondering if it is possible to upgrade these to a dual core or if the Pin count is different?

Thanks

Dan

From Bankrupt to Blue Sky Senior Member Riley's Avatar

It totally depends on your motherboard, and if the processor is soldered or not. Your first approach would be to open up your computer, and see if the processor is removable. If it is, you will then have to find a processor that is both the right pin-count, and compatible with your motherboard.

Edit, now that I think about it:

If your changing out your processor for knight online, don't bother. Currently,KO does not utilize both processor cores. Unless you found a dual core processor above 3.2ghz (ie: expensive) you'd just reduce your computer's effectiveness at processing KO. You would however, have a whole 'nother core to do other things. If your looking to increase your performance, you'd be better suited buying a graphics card or RAM.

Yeah, Not just KO haha...

That would be such a waste... I also run alot of intensive programs like C++ and such and then 3d design like Solid Edge...

But might just invest in more RAM and a better Video card then...

Thinking about a total rebuild from scratch...

Thanks though

Dan

Strike

would be cheaper and easier to build a new one at this point but it would depend on your budget and what you need the pc to do.

lbeew

i have p4 3.2 ghz too and it's socket 478

dual core intels run socket 775

so you're gonna go with a new motherboard aswell (maybe some parts may not fit on your new mobo)

I for example am using ATI Radeon HD3850 AGP graphics card LOL! Hard to find a mobo with lga 775 and agp slot

evilwevel

it can be intercangeable if you have a 775 socket. but go for a complete rebuild, your computer is quite old if it still has a p4 in it. if you check metalkon's post you'll see that a completely new system starts at around $500 which isn't that much.