Running two pcs at once from same modem?

This is a discussion on Running two pcs at once from same modem? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hi there, Just put together a new pc and want to run it in tandem with my laptop. I am ...
Page: 1

brastel

Hi there,

Just put together a new pc and want to run it in tandem with my laptop. I am guessing that I just need a router and an additional LAN cable or two? Also, what kind of router should I get, my ISP is a cable feed or whatnot, and I am hoping not to degrade the signal strength. Any help offered will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info

hej

Netgear, linksys, zonet or so (not d-link) then you can buy a wireless so you can use wireless on laptop and cable on the other pc.

Druide_Fr

Hi there,

Just put together a new pc and want to run it in tandem with my laptop. I am guessing that I just need a router and an additional LAN cable or two? Also, what kind of router should I get, my ISP is a cable feed or whatnot, and I am hoping not to degrade the signal strength. Any help offered will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info [/b]
    You need a router to run many PCs from the same modem. The router will also work as a firewall, which is a bonus.

Your home network is probably going to run at 50 MB if you go wireless, and 100 MB if you connect wired. Your connection speed with your ISP is probably in the order of 5 to 10 MB (typical values for a cable modem in North America). KO is not very demanding regarding bandwidth, and you should not see a noticeable increase in latency with connection speeds similar to this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_(engineering) ). I myself run a network with 5 PCs using a 10 MB modem with no lag whatsoever.

For signal strenght, I guess you mean about the wireless connection? If that's the case, the signal strenght is a function of the router, the distance between the router and the computer, and the number and nature of any obtacles between the two. The number of computers connected to the router doesn't affect the signal strenght.

I hope this helps.

brastel

You need a router to run many PCs from the same modem. The router will also work as a firewall, which is a bonus.

Your home network is probably going to run at 50 MB if you go wireless, and 100 MB if you connect wired. Your connection speed with your ISP is probably in the order of 5 to 10 MB (typical values for a cable modem in North America). KO is not very demanding regarding bandwidth, and you should not see a noticeable increase in latency with connection speeds similar to this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_(engineering) ). I myself run a network with 5 PCs using a 10 MB modem with no lag whatsoever.

For signal strenght, I guess you mean about the wireless connection? If that's the case, the signal strenght is a function of the router, the distance between the router and the computer, and the number and nature of any obtacles between the two. The number of computers connected to the router doesn't affect the signal strenght.

I hope this helps.[/b]

Very helpful, thanks a bunch. I think I will just stay wired and not worry about wireless. I live in Japan but I guess the cable modem isnt all that different. Thanks for the responses.

hej

Very helpful, thanks a bunch. I think I will just stay wired and not worry about wireless. I live in Japan but I guess the cable modem isnt all that different. Thanks for the responses. [/b]
    Wireless have cable to, so you can choose.

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

How about this? ;-)

Linksys Gaming Router

(PS I'm biased cos I work for Cisco, who own Linksys :P)

hej

How about this? ;-)

Linksys Gaming Router

(PS I'm biased cos I work for Cisco, who own Linksys :P)[/b]
    kick your boss in the balls then from me (linksys routers are good but not the warranty)

No warranty if you dont send in the router with its original box, like a customer saves the box for 2years....

shankster

Very helpful, thanks a bunch. I think I will just stay wired and not worry about wireless. I live in Japan but I guess the cable modem isnt all that different. Thanks for the responses. [/b]
    fuck yeah, japan ^_^