About KO on Vista..

This is a discussion on About KO on Vista.. within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I'm at a computer camp atm and I decided to download ko and show some people here how the game ...
Page: 1

Aba

I'm at a computer camp atm and I decided to download ko and show some people here how the game is etc. Anyway, finished downloading and installing and when I open the launcher to get the patch updates, when it tries to decompress the files, it says extract failed and it won't continue, probably been posted before, but anyone have a quick solution?

TunaFishyMe

run as admin?

Aba

I tried that, gives same error.

vroon

if it says extract failed that usually means all you have to do is manually patch
    use winzip/winrar and extract these patches directly into your KO folder
    ftp://download.knightonlineworld.com/knight/upgrade/
    just DL whichever ones you need

amcgc

this is probally unneccessarily long and involved seeings as its been explained perfectly above....but it made this post a while ago to loads of ppl who had similar problem. I think it helped them,,so i just copy and pasted it here for u...

----------------------------------

SO. you open the launcher...it starts downloading a patch (probally the first one, "1454" - as i think this one was one of the problem ones). It gets to the end, shows "decompressing file" and then an error message shows in the middle of the screen: "Extract Failed"..after which nothing happens - GOGO K2

No problem. All this means is that it has downloaded the compressed patch into your "Knight Online" folder (C:\Program Files\Knight Online\patch xxxx), has tried to extract it but for some reason cant -- so we have to extract is manually.

1) Navigate to your KO folder where you installed the game(probally C:\Program Files\Knight Online)
    2) Locate the "compressed" patch folder in there (will be called patchXXXX)
    3) Select it, Right-Click, select "Extract All..."
    4) Extraction wizard should open. When asked to specify which folder it should extract into, insert the directory: C:\Program Files\Knight Online (essentially telling it to take the files out of the "patchxxxx" folder, extract them and dump them into ur KO folder)
    5) If it asks you (not sure if i can remmember properly) wether to replace any existing files with the new ones always hit Yes or OK or w/e. And if it says one of the files is password protected and asks for a password simply press "Skip File" (or something like that)
    6) Once it has all been extracted, we need to tell the launcher wot the current version is. Go Start >> Programs >> Knight Online >> Option
    7) Under "Game Version" (top right of the box) insert the number which corresponds to the patch version which you have just downloaded and extracted.
    8) Hit "Contents of the Update", and "YES" when asked wether to 'apply it to registry'.
    9) Now run the launcher again (from your start >> programs >> KO menu) and it should download some more patches. It will come up with the same "extract failed" error again with a later patch and you will have to repeat the above process (about 4-5 times in total before your ready to play). Eventually you'll get to patch 1483 and you'll be done.

NOTE: If the failed patch does not show up in your KO folder you must go to " ftp://download.knightonlineworld.com/knight/upgrade/ ", download the offending patch and extract as instructed above.

--------------------
    PS. DNO about vista might be slitghtly different (as this is done using Win XP).

nyway. good luck

MillionVoices

lol above post is too long read mine.

Just right click on KO folder and give permission to every user there and Push ok.

P.S wtf is computer CAMP?

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

Just right click on KO folder and give permission to every user there and Push ok.

P.S wtf is computer CAMP?[/b]
    A place for nerds :P

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

P.S wtf is computer CAMP?[/b]
    A place for nerds :P

All you need to do is just set universal permissions, you don't even need to give permissions to every user.
    If you're not on an administrator account, well, then, you're screwed.

bazzeeka

Not hard to get Admin ney ways lol

Reboot (Safe Mode)
    take password off admin account or make another admin account restart comp use admin then do wat lutz said :P

amcgc

let us know wether setting permission levels makes any difference.

cos i had this same problem on XP, dont think it had anything to do with permissions then...

Aba

I got it to work, thanks guys.

GetRichOrDieTrying

wow...you cant leave ko for even 1 day -.-;