Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

is there anything else i can scan my computer with?

This is a discussion on is there anything else i can scan my computer with? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; new question: currently im using following programs to keep my computer clean and updated. ActiveSpeed ditch AVG 8.0 keep if ...
Page: 2

new question:
    currently im using following programs to keep my computer clean and updated.
    ActiveSpeed ditch
    AVG 8.0keep if you want, I prefer Avast
    CCleaner ditch
    DriverScannerditch
    Eusing Registry cleanerditch
    Spybot-Search&Destroykeep
    Uniblueditch[/b]
    Along this get a decent firewall. Comodo firewall is pretty sound, it conflicts with Avast sometimes. Not sure if it does now but it gets fixed fairly quick

Does your PC run quicker in safe mode, if so it's something your computer is loading in system tray when it's switched on which will be all the programs above

Turn off windows visual themes. They're rubbish and hog loads of memory / cpu usage.
    Clear any temp files inside of windows and recycle bin
    Defrag hard drive

Should help speed it up

Along this get a decent firewall. Comodo firewall is pretty sound, it conflicts with Avast sometimes. Not sure if it does now but it gets fixed fairly quick

Does your PC run quicker in safe mode, if so it's something your computer is loading in system tray when it's switched on which will be all the programs above

Turn off windows visual themes. They're rubbish and hog loads of memory / cpu usage.
    Clear any temp files inside of windows and recycle bin
    Defrag hard drive

Should help speed it up[/b]
    safe and normal mode turns on same speed << just tested it
    visuals are already turned off
    defrags every week.
    i use the firewall that came with the windows.

would reinstalling the Vista disk and reformatting it do any noticeable difference? i already reformmated 4times in past year.

safe and normal mode turns on same speed << just tested it
    visuals are already turned off
    defrags every week.
    i use the firewall that came with the windows.
    would reinstalling the Vista disk and reformatting it do any noticeable difference? i already reformmated 4times in past year.[/b]
    If your PC is still slow in safe mode I&#39;d be more tempted to look at Hardware

Safe mode doesn&#39;t load any apps from system tray or any 3rd party DLL shits. It only loads the basic drivers needed to display windows.

If your PC is slow in safe mode, then it suggests your have a hardware / software problem

You say you&#39;ve already installed 4 times, so I&#39;m guessing the PC needs upgrading because of it&#39;s age or there&#39;s something failing in it (i.e fubar&#39;d hdd, faulty ram)

I remember seeing a topic you made about upgrading the RAM.

Can you post your current specs ( CPU, HDD Size + free space, RAM Size + Speed)

Sorry if you already have, I just rarely read this section

If your PC is still slow in safe mode I&#39;d be more tempted to look at Hardware

Safe mode doesn&#39;t load any apps from system tray or any 3rd party DLL shits. It only loads the basic drivers needed to display windows.

If your PC is slow in safe mode, then it suggests your have a hardware / software problem

You say you&#39;ve already installed 4 times, so I&#39;m guessing the PC needs upgrading because of it&#39;s age or there&#39;s something failing in it (i.e fubar&#39;d hdd, faulty ram)

I remember seeing a topic you made about upgrading the RAM.

Can you post your current specs ( CPU, HDD Size + free space, RAM Size + Speed)

Sorry if you already have, I just rarely read this section[/b]
    yea i editted my last topic to my new question so i don&#39;t look like a retard wit billion computer questions >.>

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Service Pack 1
    Memory (ram) : 2GB
    System type : 32-bit
    Processor : Intel® Core ™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz
    Capacity : 366GB
    USED : 95.2GB
    FREE : 270GB

hm this may sound retarded but where i find my CPU and w/e HDD size is o_O....i looked in systems and properties. not there.

How slow are you talking about ?
    Is it just when loading windows from when computer switched on or in general

Your PC is well specced to load up windows with no speed problems whatsoever.

I&#39;m not an avid fan of Vista so don&#39;t know much about it but I&#39;ll see what I can do.

You could try looking at event viewer for any computer errors (eventvwr.msc) - system / application around the times you have the problem

How slow are you talking about ?
    Is it just when loading windows from when computer switched on or in general

Your PC is well specced to load up windows with no speed problems whatsoever.

I&#39;m not an avid fan of Vista so don&#39;t know much about it but I&#39;ll see what I can do.

You could try looking at event viewer for any computer errors (eventvwr.msc) - system / application around the times you have the problem[/b]
    i got like 12error in my log. all of them are in packs of 2. 2error, bunch of info then 2 error. repeating.
    anything i can do about them?

Can you open them up and copy the contents or post a screenshot
    There are various different errors which may or may not be relevant

System will show any failures being produced by windows operating system (i.e dll&#39;s not loading or crashing, network links failing, loopback services not working properly) things like this can cause delays

Application will show any program based faults (again DLL&#39;s software not loading)

EDIT - With response to my "when it&#39;s slow"? question.
    Can you advise when it seems to be "slow" in your opinion i.e

- When it&#39;s loading windows from switching PC on
    - After you have logged on with your user account (would point to account / profile problem)
    - Slow in general

There are different things causing your problems. We&#39;ve already ruled out hard disk performance and computer specification so it points to hardware or software

I&#39;m guessing software at the moment with a mixture of failed links or services. Something like a corrupted user cleanup and a network service not loading

I&#39;d need the event logs to tell.

Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 1/17/2009 3:52:58 PM
    Event ID: 7026
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Baterdene-PC
    Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    i8042prt
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-17T20:52:58.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>209723</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Baterdene-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">
    i8042prt</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

how do i copy the entire event log? it wont let me ctrl+c

all the error shows that.
    its slow in general

When you open the event viewer there should be a copy icon (two paces of paper overlayed)

It allows you to directly copy and makes it neater, I&#39;d clear the event logs (application / system) by opening event viewer. Right click on them and select clear events logs (no to save existing)

Restart your computer then have a look inside the event logs after reboot and when it&#39;s slow.
    Can you also say how slow in general, are we talking 10-15 seconds to open something, a few seconds ?
    Have you looked at processor / memory usage activity

You should get yourself a copy of Teamviewer application (lets me remote control your pc)

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MySQL
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 18/01/2009
    Time: 11:47:58
    Computer: ANDYMAIL
    Description:
    E:\MySQL5\bin\mysqld-nt: ready for connections.
    Version: &#39;5.0.51b-community-nt&#39; socket: &#39;&#39; port: 3306 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://www.mysql.com.

Quickedit ; Two things on the net are talked about with Vista

1 - The built in firewall causes it to hang (so try turning it off)
    2 - DNS service is not working properly (will get to that later)

When you open the event viewer there should be a copy icon (two paces of paper overlayed)

It allows you to directly copy and makes it neater, I&#39;d clear the event logs (application / system) by opening event viewer. Right click on them and select clear events logs (no to save existing)

Restart your computer then have a look inside the event logs after reboot and when it&#39;s slow.
    Can you also say how slow in general, are we talking 10-15 seconds to open something, a few seconds ?
    Have you looked at processor / memory usage activity

You should get yourself a copy of Teamviewer application (lets me remote control your pc)

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MySQL
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 100
    Date: 18/01/2009
    Time: 11:47:58
    Computer: ANDYMAIL
    Description:
    E:\MySQL5\bin\mysqld-nt: ready for connections.
    Version: &#39;5.0.51b-community-nt&#39; socket: &#39;&#39; port: 3306 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://www.mysql.com.[/b]
    =[ last time i let a guy use teamviewer to get into my comp. he did something and it shut down whenever he wanted it. had to reformat.

edit: yeahh can&#39;t find it ftl. [email protected]
    find me there we can do teamvierver

Well for what it&#39;s worth people who know me can vouch for me. I&#39;ve connected to PC&#39;s in Holland, Bulgaria, UK, Belgium

I&#39;m an IT person by career. I don&#39;t really care for breaking peoples PC&#39;s or spying simply because I&#39;m not that type of person not to mention there&#39;s far worse things on mine

It&#39;s cool if you wouldn&#39;t want teamviewer, I just prefer to use it. I can only connect with a pass key from you anyway.

I prefer connecting to PC&#39;s remotely as it allows me to work things out quicker than having descriptions.

miami

tnx for the crucial.com site bought some memory ^^

side2side125

all your cleaner make your computer slow

best hint delete all and and don&#39;t install any program like norton

Already has done that, read through the topic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast