In this tutorial I am going show you how to remove the advertisements in the launcher, or atleast how to block them.
Besides from being annoying and very disturbing, these ads also provide k2 with money, so I do not see any reason why not to remove them!
What you will need for this tutorial: a firewall (windows firewall will do)
Important: this tutorial will be mainly directed to Windows 7 users and the windows 7 firewall.
First lets find our target:
By clicking the ad we can figure out that the adress of the advertisement is "ad.e-kolay.net"
Now once we have the url, we will need to find the IP adress, this can be done by using the command prompt.
(open cmd, type ping ad.e-kolay.net and hit enter)
By doing this, we will know that the IP adress we want to block is: 126.96.36.199, so lets block it!
1. Open the "Windows firewall with advanced security" (search for windows firewall, or go to system32 and open the file named WF.msc (location: %windir%\system32\WF.msc)
2. when you have the windows firewall open, select outbound rules in the list to the left.
3. Now when you have outbound rules selected, go to "Action" in the bar above and click on "New Rule"
4. The new outbound rule wizard should appear, and in it you will want to select "Custom" as you want your rule to be custom :p.
6. (I'll continue without pictures)
Now click "next" to go to the Program step (there are 7 steps as seen to the right).
Make sure that "All programs is ticked" and then click Next.
7. Protocol and ports, skip this part.
8. Scope (this part is the most important one)
Where it says "Which remote IP adress does this apply to?" select "These IP adresses" and then click Add.
A window will pop up to ask you which specific IP adress you want this to match, type 188.8.131.52 in the input box and then press OK, and then proceed to the next step.
9. Action: Tick where it says "Block the connection"
10. profile: Tick all of them.
11. Name: Here you put the name and description, I mine is called KO Adblocker so I can remember what it is, but you can put what the hell you want in here.
When you're done, hit Finish and the rule should be somewhere in the Outbound rules list.
Now open the launcher to see that everything is working, if you did everything right there should be nothing but a black empty box where the ads once were.
Of course there is a much easier way of doing this but it involves using a hex editor and I am not sure if those kind of tutorials are allowed here, but if they are I could be willing to post one.
Enjoy not letting k2 make money from ads!
-Blood_Warrior aka KataNoob