What to look for in a laptop?

This is a discussion on What to look for in a laptop? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hi guys im looking to a a laptop i do not know much about computers.. i will be playing ko ...
Page: 1

arruda76r

Hi guys im looking to a a laptop i do not know much about computers..

i will be playing ko on the laptop so what is the minium of stuff i need on laptop that shouldent lag..
    like gig procesor and stuff

and whats a good inch screen i can play ko with im thinking 15" should be fine right now i have a 22" on my desktop so it might be a big different for me.

Hi guys im looking to a a laptop i do not know much about computers..

i will be playing ko on the laptop so what is the minium of stuff i need on laptop that shouldent lag..
    like gig procesor and stuff

and whats a good inch screen i can play ko with im thinking 15" should be fine right now i have a 22" on my desktop so it might be a big different for me.[/b]

I'll just comment on the screen.. I went from 22' desktop to 17'' laptop. The screen size is FUCKING ANNOYING to me. when playing ko You might wanna try to find the biggest screen u can lol. Also make sure its comfortable to hit the keys you need for KO on the keyboard, that's my biggest beef with the laptop i'm using now, F-keys are hard to get at.

arruda76r

I'll just comment on the screen.. I went from 22' desktop to 17'' laptop. The screen size is FUCKING ANNOYING to me. when playing ko You might wanna try to find the biggest screen u can lol. Also make sure its comfortable to hit the keys you need for KO on the keyboard, that's my biggest beef with the laptop i'm using now, F-keys are hard to get at.[/b]
    may i ask what type of laptop do you have? i might buy the same one if your running ko on it and its working fine.

and you have wireless mouse or do you use touch pad

i mostly look the video card 512mb geforce M (GT)

nutsackatak1

The biggest, MOST IMPORTANT thing to buying a laptop is what type of operating system and memory. If you are running XP, you will be good with a GB of ram. If you are running Vista shit like me, you will need 2 GB or more; cuz this bitch eats up RAM like my grandma eats prunes

R.I.P Impulsive Senior Member jaspreet's Avatar

Grapics Card, but mostly processors, harddrive and RAM (preferably DDR 3 like i have in mines)

To punish and enslave Senior Member Magyk's Avatar

Smth that has atleast 2gb ram, dual core, graphics card that has non "integrated" videocard meaning get 1 with ati or nvidia series and prolly like 256 or more, hdd size aint that big of a factor since u can change it or get external.

Also if u can try it out before u buy it. Some make rly bad noise, specially ones with powah videocard. If possible try to find out how fast it heats up and take a look at the fans.

P.S who on earth buys windows for personal use, idiots. Get a laptop with no software installed and skip any of the campains where u get some 1 year license of some tarded program.

arruda76r

im mostly going to buy a laptop brand new at best buy so it will come with vista... but my dad can bring it to his office and his technician can put xp on it so thats not a problem.. i did the same with this desktop...

ok this is what im mostlikely going to get

15inch screen
    1-2 gig of ram
    dual core procesor

and what happens if i have a bad graphic card? the graphics are going to be shitty i assume?

should that be good with ko? and be able to run it?

like u already know, KO doesn't run on two processors but on only one... so get something like 2.0 GHZ x2... and about graphix card, the ingame fps depends on the card. the better card the better KO willl run. Preferrably get something Nvidia Geforce 8xxx GS or GT.
    And about memory: 2 gb of ram is MINIMUM. Do not get less than 2 gb, preferrably 4 gb... the memory is so cheap novadays. Oh and atleast 160 GB of HDD
    And about screens: the biggest difference between 15.4" and 17" is: 15.4" does NOT have numpad but 17" has. It isn't that much about screen size also, just look for higher resolution screens. For example my 15.4" laptop is 1280x800 pixels, 17" are usually 1440x900 or something... So i'd suggest the 15.4" screen but look for one with better resolution so more will fit on ur screen, something like 1600x1000-ish. But they also cost some more. But nothing is wrong with 1280x800 screen also cause in the new expansion there are wide screen resolutions, u can play perfectly with 1280x800 screen.

arruda76r

are these good graphic cards?

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

the 2 laptops im intrested in getting come with those

nutsackatak1

Here anything that is $600+ nowadays is gunna be fine.

arruda76r

Here anything that is $600+ nowadays is gunna be fine.[/b]
    ya i was on dell site and probraly going to get one of their laptops for like around 600 + tax or go to best buy and get one their

like u already know, KO doesn't run on two processors but on only one... so get something like 2.0 GHZ x2... and about graphix card, the ingame fps depends on the card. the better card the better KO willl run. Preferrably get something Nvidia Geforce 8xxx GS or GT.
    And about memory: 2 gb of ram is MINIMUM. Do not get less than 2 gb, preferrably 4 gb... the memory is so cheap novadays. Oh and atleast 160 GB of HDD
    And about screens: the biggest difference between 15.4" and 17" is: 15.4" does NOT have numpad but 17" has. It isn't that much about screen size also, just look for higher resolution screens. For example my 15.4" laptop is 1280x800 pixels, 17" are usually 1440x900 or something... So i'd suggest the 15.4" screen but look for one with better resolution so more will fit on ur screen, something like 1600x1000-ish. But they also cost some more. But nothing is wrong with 1280x800 screen also cause in the new expansion there are wide screen resolutions, u can play perfectly with 1280x800 screen.[/b]

Exactly what he says here. Make sure you have a good processor, video card and RAM (tons of RAM). If you neglect these you will suffer for gaming. Watch out when buying stuff from dealers like Best Buy in that they don't load your computer up with crap, make sure you that if you do buy one of their lap tops you load Adaware, spybotsearch destroy, etc. I got one of these for work and it was overloaded with shit.