upload/download?

This is a discussion on upload/download? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; any way i could increase my upload/download speed without changing my isp or getting a faster router? I use linksys ...
Page: 1

Fear the White Rabbit!!! Senior Member konioko's Avatar

any way i could increase my upload/download speed without changing my isp or getting a faster router? I use linksys wireless-G router atm with a wireless-B.

heres my results from speedtest.net

any way i could increase my upload/download speed without changing my isp or getting a faster router? I use linksys wireless-G router atm with a wireless-B.

heres my results from speedtest.net

[/b]
    try doing the test with a server near you not 200 miles away :P

Tits or destiny? Senior Member Dark3lf's Avatar

Not really.

Banned Senior Member

SPeed will vary with too many factors:

ISP
    Bandwidth at the time your on
    The status of the Node
    The status of the Headend
    The status of the station the headhead connects to
    How many people are online on your Node at the time
    The activity on your node
    The servers your connecting to
    Their Bandwidth
    Your internet signal to your modem
    signal to your router ( if your using one )
    router configuration

Can keep going on.... I love it when people call me at work asking about their internet speeds :x

try doing the test with a server near you not 200 miles away :P[/b]
    :P its the closest one to me lol

ISP
    The status of the Node
    Their Bandwidth
    router configuration

Can keep going on.... I love it when people call me at work asking about their internet speeds :x[/b]
    kk thnx phatom

Banned Senior Member

also Speedtest will give you lower results, theres a flash based one I've used before which was more accurate to my actual dl/ul speeds, try looking for some of those

found some others but they pretty much just gave me a faster upload-around 400 and slower download-around 2000.

Hopefully my parents will look into getting a faster internet provider and router.

Banned Senior Member

Well upgrading to a wireless G connection will speed you up some, it's also a cheap fix depending on if your using a laptop or desktop and just need to swap the adapter your using. But if you can get it, try going fo N style wireless, it's faster then G but unfortunatly I dont know all too much about it yet, I use mainly hardwired connections :x

Well upgrading to a wireless G connection will speed you up some, it's also a cheap fix depending on if your using a laptop or desktop and just need to swap the adapter your using. But if you can get it, try going fo N style wireless, it's faster then G but unfortunatly I dont know all too much about it yet, I use mainly hardwired connections :x[/b]
    yea my brother showed me the difference from what we have now (Wireless-B ) and N and omg it would be so nice to have that. like 10x faster than B

I'm just not willing to pay $200 to get it yet :unsure:

Banned Senior Member

ALso depends on when it was being used, does your brother have the same ISP/live in the same area as you? if so then ya you would see that difference, if they used another ISP ( I haven't heard of the one your using, I only know of the major ones ) then that might be another factor

yea my brother is using all the same stuff, along with my sister and my parents. so thats 4 all together lol

hej

Use cable.

ISP
    The status of the Node
    Their Bandwidth
    router configuration

Can keep going on.... I love it when people call me at work asking about their internet speeds :x[/b]
    Only some of those mentioned factors give significant performance difference, the mainly one is always ISP. If it was up to them, then they would set the standard to the lowest possible, so they can rip off rich ppl with relative faster connection. A country without ISPs competition usually always end up with poor internet performance and serivce, as they are the only ISP, they can do whatever they wish. Another important factor would be which server u are connected to, therefore its very important to chose the fastest server available as reference to test ur connection. But for games it hardly makes any difference, the only thing that matter is ping or distance for gaming.
    With a high quality ISP u can hardly notice any difference the time of the day, or how many ppl on ur node. I can make the speedtest anytime, and I get somewhere same result. And about the signal.. Originally, router was a device made for LAN with WAN connection to keep control of ur network (IP and data transmission) and firewall, so in other words it can hardly gives any significant difference to WAN data transmission as its much slower than LAN. But if we were talking about 10Mbit or 100Mbit internet connection, then its another story. But the wireless signal are usually more than enough for the small DSL/cable connection nowadays of 2~8Mbit.
    Oh, about the topic starter, it makes quite big difference as his connection is shared with 4 ppl (locally), coz u cant know what they are doing, if one of them is downloading something hardcore, then it will gives u very poor test result.

Btw, this is the result i got from the internet at work.

Only some of those mentioned factors give significant performance difference, the mainly one is always ISP. If it was up to them, then they would set the standard to the lowest possible, so they can rip off rich ppl with relative faster connection. A country without ISPs competition usually always end up with poor internet performance and serivce, as they are the only ISP, they can do whatever they wish. Another important factor would be which server u are connected to, therefore its very important to chose the fastest server available as reference to test ur connection. But for games it hardly makes any difference, the only thing that matter is ping or distance for gaming.
    With a high quality ISP u can hardly notice any difference the time of the day, or how many ppl on ur node. I can make the speedtest anytime, and I get somewhere same result. And about the signal.. Originally, router was a device made for LAN with WAN connection to keep control of ur network (IP and data transmission) and firewall, so in other words it can hardly gives any significant difference to WAN data transmission as its much slower than LAN. But if we were talking about 10Mbit or 100Mbit internet connection, then its another story. But the wireless signal are usually more than enough for the small DSL/cable connection nowadays of 2~8Mbit.
    Oh, about the topic starter, it makes quite big difference as his connection is shared with 4 ppl (locally), coz u cant know what they are doing, if one of them is downloading something hardcore, then it will gives u very poor test result.

Btw, this is the result i got from the internet at work.
    [/b]
    /jealous

and thnx for the info