Building a new computer

This is a discussion on Building a new computer within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I want advice on parts for a new gaming computer, and I've got a budget between $1100 and $1900. I ...
Page: 1

Warrior of the Brocoli Senior Member Parasitic's Avatar

I want advice on parts for a new gaming computer, and I've got a budget between $1100 and $1900.

I don't want to be picky, but if you could list a complete list of all the parts needed, from the keyboard to the motherboard, everything. I don't want a single part listed and then have to pick and put together through 8643038946 posts.

Seekor

one second ill set one up for you im pretty good with computers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883227088

well that's a very good pc if you want to use it for gaming, but if you know how to build your own let me know and ill see what i can do but for the money that is not bad.

one second ill set one up for you im pretty good with computers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883227088

well that's a very good pc if you want to use it for gaming, but if you know how to build your own let me know and ill see what i can do but for the money that is not bad.[/b]
    Building it, I already know I want a geforce 9800 for the video card, but if you've got a better idea...

Seekor

Building it, I already know I want a geforce 9800 for the video card, but if you've got a better idea...[/b]
    the 3.2ghz dual core is better than the quad cores out right now, im sure u could possibly build the computer for a bit cheaper but the only higher than that would be to go for dual video cards and 8gb of ddr2 which would run you around 2 grand and to be completely honest unless u want to overkill any game out right now u dont need it.

the 3.2ghz dual core is better than the quad cores out right now, im sure u could possibly build the computer for a bit cheaper but the only higher than that would be to go for dual video cards and 8gb of ddr2 which would run you around 2 grand and to be completely honest unless u want to overkill any game out right now u dont need it.[/b]
    I want something that will keep me ahead of the game for at least 2 years.

DON'T buy a premade computer, and DON'T buy 8 gb's of memory (half of that is still overkill..). Building your own computer is so easy and it saves you a ton of money.

Seekor

DON'T buy a premade computer, and DON'T buy 8 gb's of memory (half of that is still overkill..). Building your own computer is so easy and it saves you a ton of money.[/b]
    actually i know that company is good, i was just posting because i know many people don't know how.

Strike

CPU:
    8) 1) CORE 2 DUO E8600 3.3 GHz- $275
    2) CORE 2 DUO E8500 3.16 GHz- $190
    While they may seem to be close in comparison, you can overclock Choice #1 to run steady at about 4.0-4.5 GHz.( and no i'm not going to tell any how to as someone is likley to screw it up and really mess up their comp.)

MOTHERBOARD:
    8) 1) Searching for correct board, posted wrong one last night h34r: - expect to pay $300- $350 for something halfway decent.

2) ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - $300

GRAPHICS CARD:
    8) 1) BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXPOCE GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $200

2) EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $170

3) EVGA 01G-P3-N972-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $175

4) BFG Tech BFGE98512GTE GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $170

Save some extra cash down the road if needed and buy 2 to go SLI

MEMORY:
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBPK - $175
    *NOTE* just go with 4GB for now as many programs are not able to use all 8GB and 4GB is more than enough.

just an example as there are far too many chocies for this catagory but please note as to what kind of memory your motherboard can take. i.e. choice #2 in this list runs best on DDR2 NOT DDR3

POWER SUPPLY:
    WAY too many choices here but you want at least a 700W power supply but for thinking down the road go for 1000W+. DO NOT SKIMP OUT HERE! expect to pay at least $120-$150

COOLING:
    not my best area ask someone else :P. but my prefrence is to use fans and not liquid cooling.

HARD DRIVES:
    again lots of choices here too but for gaming pick one that's 7500-10000 RPMs. expect to pay at least $150-$300.

CASES:
    take your pick, you're on your own here.

my choice would be XP PRO(32 bit) but since you want something to last down the road then go with Vista Ultimate(32-bit). Price out at about $280 for either XP or Vista.

for the rest of the stuff you should be able to figure it out but i'm sure someone else will post thier opinions to give you some more ideas. and if you can't figure it out the smileys are my choices.

R.I.P Impulsive Senior Member jaspreet's Avatar

dont buy DDR2 RAM..buy DDR3 RAM...with the ASUS Motherboards, if you have 6 slots for RAM 2 are for DDR3, you are better off going with 2x Gig or DDR 3

actually i know that company is good, i was just posting because i know many people don't know how.[/b]
    I'm pretty sure he doesnt want some schotty "liquid cooling system" and a video card that is considered mid-range at best. Much better can be had for approximately the same price.

MOTHERBOARD:
    8) 1) ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - $350

GRAPHICS CARD:
    8) 1) BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXPOCE GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $200

2) EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $170

3) EVGA 01G-P3-N972-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $175

4) BFG Tech BFGE98512GTE GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $170

Save some extra cash down the road if needed and buy 2 to go SLI [/b]
    Hold up a second.. You're trying to get him to buy a crossfire board with Nvidia cards?? You do know that will not work?

dont buy DDR2 RAM..buy DDR3 RAM...with the ASUS Motherboards, if you have 6 slots for RAM 2 are for DDR3, you are better off going with 2x Gig or DDR 3[/b]
    Why waste money on ddr3 when ddr2 gets the job done for a fraction of the cost?

Because I can see no one is giving you much help.. I'll post a build up when I get out of school later this afternoon

Just buy a pre-built bundle, They're usually good and you can save a few hundred

Strike

Hold up a second.. You're trying to get him to buy a crossfire board with Nvidia cards?? You do know that will not work?[/b]
    oops my bad :lol: was late as hell and i wrote down the wrong one. i'll look for the nvidia board i wanted to post after i get out of work unless you beat me too it.

and while DDR2 ram is the better choice right now, he wants some specs on something he won't have to upgrade too much, if at all in, for the next 2 years thus why we were suggesting DDR3. so long as his board accepts DDR3 and he doesn't mind upgrading to it down the road then that decission is up to PaRa.

took a few prices from your list, looks like ima be spending all of this months paychecks on my new comp :lol: oh well, i can get my car next month :P

oops my bad :lol: was late as hell and i wrote down the wrong one. i'll look for the nvidia board i wanted to post after i get out of work unless you beat me too it.

and while DDR2 ram is the better choice right now, he wants some specs on something he won't have to upgrade too much, if at all in, for the next 2 years thus why we were suggesting DDR3. so long as his board accepts DDR3 and he doesn't mind upgrading to it down the road then that decission is up to PaRa.[/b]
    Well if you really want to futureproof, might as well wait until the new Nehalem's come out because they're going to be a completely new socket. If you buy skt775 now, it's going to be obsolete shortly. (that's not to say that skt775 is at all lacking in performance). I truly think that ddr3 is a waste. I might think twice if the price ever goes down.

Here's a little something I whipped up, I left it a crossfire board so you could get another video card if you really thought you needed it.. Anyone feel free to rip it up

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...hListTitle=Temp

evilwevel

Well if you really want to futureproof, might as well wait until the new Nehalem's come out because they're going to be a completely new socket. If you buy skt775 now, it's going to be obsolete shortly. (that's not to say that skt775 is at all lacking in performance). I truly think that ddr3 is a waste. I might think twice if the price ever goes down.

Here's a little something I whipped up, I left it a crossfire board so you could get another video card if you really thought you needed it.. Anyone feel free to rip it up

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...hListTitle=Temp[/b]
    best mouse there is :wub: but i wouldn't buy that G15 keyboard, everyone always thinks it's that great. but for me it costs way to much for what you get. they dare calling it a gaming keyboard yet the layout of the keys is just like a standard keyboard, which means sore hands after a few hours of playing. and that monitor thingy they added is crap aswell, why do you need a keyboard that tells you how much ram you're using ? does that even matter when you're gaming ?

instead buy a Zboard and customize it for fps, rts or whatever it is you play.