Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video Card Help

This is a discussion on Video Card Help within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ok, so i get like 25 fps on KO AT MOST!, when im in an empty area...and once i start ...
Page: 1

Notorious P.A.T Senior Member AsSaiLaNT9082's Avatar

Ok, so i get like 25 fps on KO AT MOST!, when im in an empty area...and once i start minoring it just drops.

My Computer Video Settings: (300 Watt Computer)

* One PCI-E x16
    * One PCI-E x1
    * Three PCI

My Current Video Card (stock) Settings:

* 256-bit graphics core running at 400MHz
    * 1.6 GPixels/sec and 1.6 GTexels/sec fill rate
    * Up to 4 pixels per clock rendering
    * Up to 10.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth with DDR2 667 system memory
    * 2048x1536 at 75 Hz maximum resolution

I really don't know anything about video cards, and how to tell which one is good or not, so if someone can help/suggest me a card that's not too expensive ($120 at most) that would be great. Also, some input on my current card would be nice, and why my fps is so bad on it.

simpleguy144

Upgrade ur memory at least 4GB
    Upgrade ur CPU to QUAD
    Upgrade ur Video Card: EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 (this cost around 120 dollars)

Upgrade ur CPU to QUAD
    Upgrade ur Video Card: EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 (this cost around 120 dollars)[/b]
    Im sure he just wants to change his graphics card, and that CPU probably wont fit on is motherboard.

Banned

Upgrade ur CPU to QUAD
    Upgrade ur Video Card: EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 (this cost around 120 dollars)[/b]
    i think people as you have the best computer components and still their system run slow because they dont know a sh1t... Hey dude is not a flame but come on!!!
    4gb of RAM for KO ???????? zuhahah not even the best game atm need 4gb of RAM (ofc if u run 20000000000 programs in the background then they are low lol )

and loooool a quad core??? u know a sh1t about informatic KO is not optimized for multiple cores, once you have dual is more then enought but u can play without problems also with 1 core...
    Let only the people that really know informatic give advice

AsSaiLaNT9082 ignore the comments above and listen me:
    your graphic card is more then enought for run KO, why? well a graphic card with a BUS of 256 bit must be good, Nvidia or ATI is not a problem because the 256bit architetture is only on the top graphic card (it can be also 1 top graphic card of 3 years ago and still there is not a problem).

I used get 25 fps with a pentium M @ 1,6 Ghz with 512mb of RAM and a crap integrated graphic card... what that mean? your computer have a software/maintenance/driver problem, alternative:

1- you must format your computer and re-install again windows and programs;

2- use some utility such tune up utilities 2008 or 09 for do some maintenance (fragmentation, clear useless programs, check for virus/troyan, defrag the registry, turn off the useless programs that auto start with windows and bla bla). U can also write your SO in google followed the word "optimization" (example Windows XP optimization) and then check the tutorial for how do it..

3- u can try also update the driver of your graphic card. Find the name of your graphic card (u must know the brand Nvidia or Ati and your system operative, i guess u have Windows XP home 32bit) then write in google for example "Nvidia driver download" and open a website for download them. ( remember that there are different version for different system operative).

U could have some driver conflict or a background software that burn resource or just a bad maintenance..

try find more info about your computer so i can help u more...
    I need know motherboard, cpu, gpu, kind of system ram, so

simpleguy144

[quote]i think people as you have the best computer components and still their system run slow because they dont know a sh1t... Hey dude is not a flame but come on!!!
    4gb of RAM for KO ???????? zuhahah not even the best game atm need 4gb of RAM (ofc if u run 20000000000 programs in the background then they are low lol )

and loooool a quad core??? u know a sh1t about informatic KO is not optimized for multiple cores, once you have dual is more then enought but u can play without problems also with 1 core...
    Let only the people that really know informatic give advice

Your right about reinstalling WINDOWS, disabling unnecessary programs and getting latest Video Card Driver will helps u gain FPS. Its the cheapest method. But if he would upgrade his RAM, CPU and Video Card, he would gain a lot of FPS. With my computer i have like 80 - 90FPS playing KOL at RLB. The higher the FPS the better ur chances of killing ur opponent.

Banned Senior Member

Upgrade ur CPU to QUAD
    Unneeded, I ran 30-40 fps on my old pc which was an AMD 3000, 1gb ram, Geforce 5800. You dont need 4gb of ram or a quad core to run a game like KO

simpleguy144

Unneeded, I ran 30-40 fps on my old pc which was an AMD 3000, 1gb ram, Geforce 5800. You dont need 4gb of ram or a quad core to run a game like KO[/b]
    I know KO doesn't need much RAM and High End CPU or Video Card. But if he wants more FPS especially during Lunar War. Then why not upgrade. It's just matter of personal preference.

Need moar! Senior Member iAbuseHell's Avatar

I used get 25 fps with a pentium M @ 1,6 Ghz with 512mb of RAM and a crap integrated graphic card... what that mean? your computer have a software/maintenance/driver problem, alternative:[/b]
    25fps with that?
    i run a 3.35ghz Celeron D - 2GB ram - Radeon 3850 512MB and i get an average of 30 fps. i used to have a 6600GT 128MB and i got more fps with that then with the ati >_<
    ko is such a weird game :P

Banned

25fps with that?
    i run a 3.35ghz Celeron D - 2GB ram - Radeon 3850 512MB and i get an average of 30 fps. i used to have a 6600GT 128MB and i got more fps with that then with the ati >_<
    ko is such a weird game :P[/b]
    KO is a really bad optimized game... In most of the games the most important components is the GPU while for KO is the CPU.
    Many effects in KO are made with the CPU and not with the GPU, once you have a decent graphic card for run KO and then you buy a better one (example from a 8800GT nvdia to a 280 Nvidia GTX) you wont gain more then few fps ( and sometimes not even 1) while run game like crysis on a 8800 gt and then turn in a 280 GTX is way different...

CPU do the main job, so or u get a better CPU (u can try also overclock it a bit) or u must keep your system clear from background software that burn resource for nothing. A "good" disk fragmentation also help in load time.

A good tip can be also keep disable the virtual memory (file swap = 0), your system will be much more reactive as games but u must have at least 2gb of Ram under Vista and 1gb under XP otherwise your computer can crash.

Disable useless service in the list service.msc is a must also check tutorial in google

try find more info about your computer so i can help u more...
    I need know motherboard, cpu, gpu, kind of system ram, so[/b]
    Thank You for your reply

Here is the link to my computer: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5062/5062nv.shtml

Here is the link to my Video Card: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

Also, i reformatted my computer about 2 weeks ago, and KO ran on the same FPS as it did before i reformatted. Only difference is KO loads a lot faster now.

Banned

Thank You for your reply

Here is the link to my computer: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5062/5062nv.shtml

Here is the link to my Video Card: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm

Also, i reformatted my computer about 2 weeks ago, and KO ran on the same FPS as it did before i reformatted. Only difference is KO loads a lot faster now.[/b]
    Ok so you have a pentium 4 D 820 @ 2,8Ghz, this CPU can be easy overclocked to 3000 Mhz without extra cooling and these 200 more Mhz will give u a little boost.

U can also try 3.1 or 3.2 Ghz without problem but as every overclock is better do it for little step and then check the computer stability with a stress test.

Google is full of guide to how overclock your kind of CPU: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...iumd-820_5.html
    here they say that this CPU can easy hit the 3.5 Ghz but for u is better dont go over the 3.2.

There are 2 main way for overclock: with software or in the BIOS. A example of software is softfsb that u can download for free in google.

This series of Pentium as the multiplier blocked (for your CPU it is 14x) so for overclock it you must increase the Front Side Bus (fsb).

The CPU frequency is : Multiplier X FSB = 14 x 200 Mhz = 2,8 Ghz (your CPU speed)

If you increase the FSB to 205 your speed increase to 205 x 14 = 2,87 Ghz

For get the 3000 mhz u should increase the FSB to 215Mhz about while for 3,2Ghz u need increase it to 228.

My advice is do a step of 5 Mhz each time and then test your computer for stability.

In the BIOS u should have a menu where u can setup the FSB, if u have not it then try with a software like softfsb.

Now about GPU: u have a integrated Intel GPU with shared memory, this graphic card can only run KO on low detail (all must be low, also visual distance should be short) and at the resolution of 1024x768 but u wont get enought fps for "bad" situation.

Your motherboard has a PCI express 16x so u can buy a new graphic card and use it with your computer without problem.

My advice is Ati Radeon HD 4830 if you want spend about 100 euro

For 150 euro u can get a nice Nvidia 9800 GTX.

Once u get a 9800 Nvidia u have enought power for all the new game without spend too much.

I will try your advice nemo, thank you so much.

JustinA7X

9800GT/GTX is a good choice, I have one myself and in empty areas I can run KO at 150FPS.

the ati 4830 requires 450watt of power,my computer only has 300 :S

sexyrexy

to my knowledge the 9800 gt/gtx uses a pci e 2.0 x16. isnt that different than a regular pcie x16? meaning your best bet is some mid 8 series like a 8500 maybe a 8800 gt if you can find one.

Also when getting a new video card, you might want to check to see if your powersupply will still be sufficent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast