Weird AVG scan

This is a discussion on Weird AVG scan within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hi. Yesterday a friend sent me a zip file in msn. When I realized it, the file was cancelled. After ...
Page: 1

Cadence96

Hi.
    Yesterday a friend sent me a zip file in msn. When I realized it, the file was cancelled.
    After that, I scanned with my AVG free edition, but it found nothing.
    Then I installed Spybot 1.5 and I turned off my PC.

Today when my AVG was running, it found a file

but it is not recognized as a virus, it found this file "hosts" but it only says "changed". Within the same folder I found another file "hosts.msn" but nothing is recognized as a virus.

Has anyone seen this before? Maybe this has something to do with spybot but I'm really confused.

Thanks

oO Jc Oo

i think u r a big mamon ok ?

:lol:

sorry for flame, but u like it cade >.<

Cadence96

i think u r a big mamon ok ?
    :lol:
    sorry for flame, but u like it cade >.<[/b]
    Ok you wanted it. I&#39;m going to offtopic myself and post this SS.

What now Mr. Observer

Back to topic please, I don&#39;t want to delete that file or to restore my system before reading some comments. Viruses gives me asthma.

Guess you don&#39;t know much about a computer, Host&#39;s is a file that tells your computer where certain files need to be directed to play online, It was deleted if you dont have it, It&#39;s not saying it&#39;s a virus it&#39;s saying it&#39;s been changed / deleted. That&#39;s all. Nothing else, At least finish the scan and see before assuming it&#39;s a virus kkthxbb.

Cadence96

Guess you don&#39;t know much about a computer, Host&#39;s is a file that tells your computer where certain files need to be directed to play online, It was deleted if you dont have it, It&#39;s not saying it&#39;s a virus it&#39;s saying it&#39;s been changed / deleted. That&#39;s all. Nothing else, At least finish the scan and see before assuming it&#39;s a virus kkthxbb.[/b]
    Hehe thx for the answer. Today that file was modified at 3:38 am and that&#39;s the time I scanned with Spybot 1.5, I hope it is a false alarm because every scan detects it (it never happened before). Well I&#39;m more afraid to trojans than viruses, because those can not be detected easily, specially with free versions.

P.D.: hey bang don&#39;t you want to be the dota clan commentator?

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

The internet works on IP addresses (eg. 32.56.104.254)
    Humans prefer to work on URLs (eg www.ko4life.com)
    Each IP address is matched to one or more URLs, and they are linked up by DNS. (at least DNS turns a URL into an IP address)

the "hosts" file allows you to specify a URL -> IP link.

the default entry in the hosts file is

Code:
    localhost**127.0.0.1
    If you wanted to tell your machine never to visit ko4life and instead to visit a different site you could add a line

Code:
    www.ko4life.com**32.56.104.254
    Then your PC will never check DNS to find out the IP for www.ko4life.com, it will automatically assume it is 32.56.104.254. If DNS is not working properly, this is a good thing... If DNS is working correctly, then adding entries into here can be used to redirect your "legitimate" traffic to a hacking site...

for example....

Code:
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com**49.50.51.107
    will redirect your PC away from a legitimate site where you get security patches to a dodgy site giving you a virus instead

So... if your hosts file has been "changed" then do check it... You should only expect to see the "localhost" line as above.

Cadence96

So... if your hosts file has been "changed" then do check it... You should only expect to see the "localhost" line as above.[/b]
    Thanks for the explanation. I didn&#39;t know it.

But is this the file you talk about? If not, where is it?

That file was modified, If I&#39;m not wrong, it was modified after I scanned my PC with spybot1.5