Windows Live Messenger...

This is a discussion on Windows Live Messenger... within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; well i just recently got a new PC and its got Windows XP SP3 32bit installed it didnt have Windows ...
Page: 1

Default Windows Live Messenger...

well i just recently got a new PC and its got Windows XP SP3 32bit installed

it didnt have Windows Live Messenger installed so i d/led it and "installed" it so it said but when i click "sign in" it has the lil guys spin around but doesnt log in it goes right back to "sign in"... ive uninstalled reinstalled many times so far but its only given me a headache thus far

my old PC had the same OS Windows XP SP3 32bit and has/had no problems installed/updating Windows Live Messenger yet this new PC is having worlds of troubles

try different ver. of MSN

hatay

Otherwise, if you can't fix it, there's still internet browser based version of msn and loads program that does the job too.

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

Some routers, or possibly even the windows firewall might need to be opened to allow msn. In messenger try Tools -> Options -> Connection TroubleShooter

dont believe its my router/firewall and ive also tried many different version of windows live and still nothing

now before last night when i did the tools > options > connection troubleshooter i had no problems.... but now when i run it i get "host files" w/ a lil "!" next to it.... and the info on it is
    "Your host files contains Windows Live Messenger related entries which may interfere with name resolution. Click on the Repair button below to fix the settings and we'll try Signing In again."

but when i hit "repair" nothing really happens as it goes straight to trying to log in again and fails yet again and when i rerun the same test i still get "!" "host files"..........

From Bankrupt to Blue Sky Senior Member Riley's Avatar

Find your msn folder in your C directory, and delete it. Then reinstall MSN, that will probably solve it .

didnt work but i fixed my "host files" problem but i gave up on getting Windows Live to work so now im using Gaim/Pidgin >:

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

your "hosts" file is at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

copy and paste it into here and I can probably tell you what is breaking msn

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    your "hosts" file is at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

copy and paste it into here and I can probably tell you what is breaking msn
    Or an alternate way is deleting it windows will just create a new one anyways

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

he might have other things in there which he needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    he might have other things in there which he needs!
    Who cares it's windows, one more error won't matter :P