Windows programs freezing up?

This is a discussion on Windows programs freezing up? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I've been having troubles today (and today only) with Windows Live Messenger and Windows Media Player. They were working fine ...
Page: 1

I've been having troubles today (and today only) with Windows Live Messenger and Windows Media Player. They were working fine yesterday and I don't remember downloading or visiting any sites that I could have picked up Malware or a Virus. I've tried uninstalled Live Messenger and reinstalling but to no avail... also tried an adaware scan which showed nothing and a Trend Micro online Virus scan that showed nothing.

I open up Windows Live Messenger or Windows Media Player (these are the only two that I have ran that seem to give me trouble) and my computer just freezes up. Takes 100% of my CPU to keep them going therefore I can't even refresh my desktop. Just wondering what could be the cause of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

firewall blocking them possibly try disabling it and opening them they may need to update and if something changed ur firewall could've posibly blocked them

yup, def your virus-scanner/firewall... also try to get new windows updates. ;o

Not the firewall as I just disabled it and wasn't able to log Live Messenger. I can however run Windows Messenger just fine... just not the Windows Live... nor Windows Media Player.

jetsamjetsam

Not the firewall as I just disabled it and wasn't able to log Live Messenger. I can however run Windows Messenger just fine... just not the Windows Live... nor Windows Media Player.[/b]

Have you inadvertantly manipulated the Internet Protocols?

No I haven't done that either. Only thing I've done past few days was download Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 which MSN still worked while it was installed and after. I just uninstalled Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and Windows Live still freezes up. I'm probably just going to reformat.

JustSushi

Hey dude... yes u have a fuking virus there... I fix computers, yesterday a lady come to my office whit a computer whit the fking same problem... the main process of system "explorer.exe" is suking all procecing time... sam whit any other program Microsoft, InternetExplorer7, WindowsLive MSG... but not freeze wen open.. just freez wen try generate a coneccion... and that was funny... well i take this computer, conecte to my LAN make run IE7 and MSN and whit my computer, and whit a program called proccess explorer i see explorer.exe procces r using all machine, just right click to him.. and set priority in bottom... after that, download AVS (ActiveVirusShield) Powered by Kaspersky and distributed by AOL.... update that shit... and done.. 2 Troyans in the computer.... NOD32 dont find a shit... Kaspersky RULE!
    Well, cya later bb and GH

K I'll try that...

But to add to this,

I can open any website just fine and run almsot all programs on my computer. But what is really wierd if I go to Hotmail.com to check my email and login... it logs in jsut fine but once I'm there looking at my Start page it freezes up just like WLM and WMP.... hmm Iono... but I'll try your suggestion.

That would be a no with the setting explorer to low and running ActiveScan virus protection.

Still Freezing up

jetsamjetsam

i found this thingy, not sure if its gonna work or not.
    Copy and paste the code below, all of it, in "run", then click ok.

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %SystemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf

Then reinstall Windows Messenger. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING FROM THE WINDOWS WEBSITE AND NOT SOME BOGUS SHIT.

Eh thanks but I just went ahead and reformatted.