Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Networking & HD Installing

This is a discussion on Wireless Networking & HD Installing within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I have a much bigger problem now. "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" fixed -------------------- OK. It's ...
Page: 1

Promise Less, Do More Senior Member Danny's Avatar

Angry

I have a much bigger problem now.

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

fixed
    --------------------

OK. It's time I ask for some help because quite frankly, I don't feel like spending 300 bucks on something I wouldn't even know how to install and wouldn't know if it can solve my problem anyway..

I'm really bad with computers so I'll explain it my way, hopefully you guys understand

I have a Wireless-G router and adapter. The router is 2 floors up but right above me, so it's not really far away.
    I recently bought a new hard drive, I installed it with my brother this morning but when I closed up the PC and rebooted it, I realized my internet has gone from 3 full linksys bars @ 54.0 mbps to 1-0 bars @ 11.0mbps or internet reset. I've always had bad internet, but not THIS bad.

My friends always told me to get a wire across from upstairs, outside the house and into the back of my PC so that it's just straight up non-wireless non-dc'ing internet. But I have a step dad who doesn't want "U-Nails" in the walls (retard, lol), so wireless is my only option.

Basically what I'm asking help with is... what the fuck do I need to buy to finally not have these DC'ing/low quality internet problems? I've searched NewEgg over and over, I always end up hesitating on buying these pieces because of their high end prices but previous reviews say they're great items. You tell me if this wireless adapter & router is good. Should I buy these? Are there other adapters or routers you would recommend? Prices can be anywhere, it's not the money that really worries me but of course if it can be lower than what I've already picked, go for it.

I just want to finally have stable, high-end wireless internet quality -- what to buy..?
    Also, even when/if I have 54.0 mbps and "excellent connection", as soon as I log into KO or do anything involved with gaming on the net, I get lag spikes LIKE CRAZY. Eventually DC every single 30 seconds to 5 fucking minutes, literally.

current problem: incorrect drivers installed, have no internet now to fix that (must burn disc's of updates to fix this now)
    --------------------

Now for my Hard drive problem, this is much easier to fix I'm guessing.
    I bought this hard drive recently, installed it this morning. When I finished installing, I turned my PC on (excited to see results) and noticed that my monitor wasn't funtioning (until I restarted my computer). But what if the installation wizard was going through when I first turned my PC on and couldn't see it because of my monitor screw up? Or does that even matter, lol? Anyways, I then went to control panel, "add hardware" and in the wizard I saw that my new HD was already installed "640HD" was right below the primary hard drive... Now here's the noob question; Where is it? When I click on my computer, I only see local disc C (my 1st hard drive), aren't I supposed to have another drive (local disc D or something?). I want to be able to have 2 of them so I can keep my new hard drive as the internal storage device but I fail at this shit, and my brother isn't home to do it for me, LOL, help please. He said I have to go into my BIOS or something, I don't know.. xD

fixed.
    --------------------

1 more question since I already made this topic... I have 4 computers in my house;

1) Upstairs #1 - Has the modem and distributes internet insecurely throughout my house (maybe even neighbors too, lol) This is where I normally get my internet from. It's not stable.. (11.0-54.0 mbps)
    2) Upstairs #2 - Sisters computer, always always always has great internet, only 2 rooms away from the modem and uses wireless-G adapter like mine.
    3) Downstairs #1 - My computer, wireless-G adapter, piece of shit connection, willing to embarrass myself on ko4life to have it working properly
    4) Downstairs #2 - This is the one I have a question about::: My step-dad's business PC, recently put FIOS internet on it, has it's own modem.

When I tried to insert a cable wire from the FIOS modem to my PC, it never gave me it's internet... Why? When it was connected, I disabled the wireless internet and enable "local area connection" or whatever I don't remember. I kept seeing that little yellow sphere moving left to right but never actually accessed it's internet. What do I need to do for that modem to be able to give me internet? Also, I can connect to it wirelessly and it's realllllllly close to my computer (which would be great) but for some odd reason I just can't access it's internet. "You are connected to the access point. But the internet cannot be found." BLA BLA BLA A.Q WTF

Ask me questions, show me how to answer it (if necessary), your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Warrior of the Brocoli Senior Member Parasitic's Avatar

SOME ONE FIX HIS SHIT PLS.

SLMShady

JustinA7X

For the problem with your computer and the wireless, you could buy a wireless signal booster / range booster, whichever they're called.

It's just a little thing you put in between the modem and your PC, the signal goes to the booster, gets its strength back and moves on to your PC

about the harddrive, either compatibility issues or go to bios and check out if you can set it up in there.

evilwevel

ethernet through your powerlines ?

thought everyone at least knew it existed. anyway THIS SITE will tell you all about it. i'm pretty sure you can find everything you need on newegg or amazon (over here they cost about as much as a wireless router).

it pretty much gives you the advantage of a wired network with the range and flexability of a wireless network.

For the problem with your computer and the wireless, you could buy a wireless signal booster / range booster, whichever they're called.
    It's just a little thing you put in between the modem and your PC, the signal goes to the booster, gets its strength back and moves on to your PC[/b]
    Had/have one, didn't work even after installing and reinstalling 3 times, it's just sitting in a box filled with other crap I don't use. Might give it a retry now that I really need it. Currently getting 1.0, 2.0 and 5.5mbps -.-

ethernet through your powerlines ?

thought everyone at least knew it existed. anyway THIS SITE will tell you all about it. i'm pretty sure you can find everything you need on newegg or amazon (over here they cost about as much as a wireless router).

it pretty much gives you the advantage of a wired network with the range and flexability of a wireless network.[/b]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833124096
    Are you recommending me to buy something like that?

@rock08, yeah I know I need to go into BIOS, I guess I just need someone to write the steps on what to press to fix a new drive..

Da Camel Senior Member Killing spree's Avatar

His HD problem is fixed

trying to figure out whats up with his Internet atm, can't really find it, so feel free to help

Unhappy

His HD problem is fixed

trying to figure out whats up with his Internet atm, can't really find it, so feel free to help [/b]
    Dude, that driver install on the router failed me so hard right now. I'm now using the computer I'm not allowed to be using (business PC downstairs) just to type this. Heres what just happened 10 minutes ago:

-I installed drivers for my linksys router. It didn't work and kicked me off the internet right away.
    -I used the system restore wizard to clock my pc back a few days so that everything can be refreshed (I figured I can fix the HD organizing again since Killing already done it once for me)
    -After restoring all the files, my system goes to restart and now... Fucking garbage. I get a message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER".

Now I can't even get into my own computer. I tried to reboot it now and go into safe mode or get into BIOS, I can't do nothing.
    I'm scared honestly, do I need to format my PC now? I fucking have so much important shit, I'll be so fucking pissed off if I do.

Someone PLEASE help me

JustinA7X

The point that it's too floors up might be the problem.

My PC is downstairs while the modem is upstairs on my dads PC, they're near on top of eachother and I rarely get 50% signal

My PC is downstairs while the modem is upstairs on my dads PC, they're near on top of eachother and I rarely get 50% signal[/b]
    Yes, I have the exact same thing. The router/modem is upstairs while my PC is downstairs and I rarely get 35-70% signal when online.

Right now, this doesn't concern me at all. I can care less for my internet problems when my computer is not working at all.
    Can someone tell me what that message means?
    "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
    I inserted my Windows disc and the message didn't show anymore, but I then closed my PC right away cause I thought it was formatting it (losing all my files) because it said "Windows Setup".

Bump...........................

I really want to know if theres a way to access my PC now, I just need to send 1 file from there and I'll be more than happy to format my Windows :/

Anyone knows how I can get a file from my computer before formatting it when I am currently being forced to boot the disk drive with the "system disk"?

Please help and bumps appreciated since I need to post to bump this -.-
    Chuck Norris? Someone pro with PC's? Please guys :x
    I am waiting here for replies ... <33

reboot pc, insert windows installation cd, boot from it and start installation just as you would be installing new copy of windows

select repair option, go to recovery console (press R), you will get command line

try these commands:

chkdsk /p /r (this one takes long to complete - its normal...dont interrupt it)

map (this one actually doesnt fix things but gives you interesting info)

fixboot c: (try this first, reboot pc and see if it works)

fixmbr (you will see the list of devices with "map" command)

bootcfg /scan

bootcfg /list

bootcfg /rebuild

any of these commands used with "/?" will give you help and syntax explanation and examples

as far as the wi-fi, make sure no other wi-fi networks are around that have same channel like yours, best practice is to make a gap of 5 channels...i.e. if your neighbour created a network on channel 6, you set yours to channel 11

if youre using standard antennas both on your wi-fi card and on your router try bending them horizontally instead of having them standing verticaly, these types of antennas spread most of the signal around its sides (helped my friend, his router is on 3rd floor)

it doesnt really matter how far away you are from router, it really depends how absorbing are the obstacles, floors are usually made of strong materials with lot of armature...in which case even directional antennas (the ones who send concentraded beams in 1 direction) wont help you, so instead of wasting money on something it wont give you result try other things

some1 already mentioned ethernet over powerlines...get it like this...you plug 1 little device to electric wall outlet near your PC, and you plug 1 little device in wall outlet near your router...and they give you ehternet connection thru the power line

you got maybe normal phone line between your floor and floor where router is, houses usually have CAT3 cables thru the walls, if u have a pair you dont use you could buy VDSL to ethernet converter, this can give you up to 20Mbps thru normal phone cable (2 wires)

other than that it pretty much comes down to talking to your step dad with a lot of using of word "please"

OK I did what you said, but after typing "fixboot c:" after the "chkdsk /p /r" and rebooting the pc without the Windows disk in the CD drive, I got the same error again. "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". So now I&#39;m doing the same process all over, like it took 45 minutes before, I will try other commands before I reboot the PC without the Windows disk again. Did I do something wrong? Is there anything else you&#39;d suggest for me to do? I don&#39;t want to have to format the PC, I want to be able to have my old Windows and my old files, and just repair each driver necessary from scratch but apparently I can&#39;t even get past this repair process or even into normal Windows without having to totally format. So far, definitely thanks for your help kerber, I really appreciate it. Need more help!!!

:/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast