Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old computer, trying to set it up. Problems

This is a discussion on Old computer, trying to set it up. Problems within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; My old computer won't start. It does one beep every 8 seconds or so. I looked this up and it ...
Page: 1

Psy

My old computer won't start. It does one beep every 8 seconds or so. I looked this up and it meant that the RAM was bad. I was wondering, even if I get new RAM will there be any other problems? The only thing wrong with it is that it hasn't been used in a year or so (All I want to do is store sound files on it for my new job). I figure I might as well spend 50$ to get it running than spend 500$ on a new computer.

hej

Impossible to say without testing

shankster

just get an external hard drive or an ipod o.o, you can probably pick up a pretty cheap 200gb one, best of all most of them connect to USB so you can plug it in to practically ANY pc and it will recognize it. (some use firewire, but pc's now a days should have that too if they are fairly recent)

Psy

Well I bought 2 512 MB ram sticks for 42$. it arrives in 2 days, hopefully it'll work. It did turn on briefly before it stopped working, and with the two very old 256 MB ram sticks in it said it only had 128 MB of ram. I did remove the ram sticks a lot to test them out on another computer, but they didn't work(didn't know about ram size back then). I suspect they were damaged.

Banned

Okay, this is my department ^^

What kind of PC? (Example: dell)
    What kind model? ( Example: Dimension 4700)
    How Many RAM Slots? ( 2-6 i think o.O)

Whats most likely the case is that the motherboard cant take the amount of RAM you upgraded to, so you would have to down grade it. Or the RAM sticks you bought are not compatible with your PC which in that case you would have to look for a different version/ manufacturer

You also have to check how much RAM your PC can handle go to http://crucial.com/ and download the scan, it will tell you how much max RAM you can have in each slot, and what types of RAM sticks you should buy (there are many different ones)

Also PM me if you are also considering to upgrade you Hard Drive... i can help prevent problems/ questions you will have in the future...

Psy

Compaq Presario 6000 Athlon 2 slots. I actually ordered from the Crucial site, they're pretty convenient. As I said before the computer won't start without the ram, so I'll do the check later. Maybe I'll consider upgrading the hard drive.

Banned

Make sure you know which type of hard drive your buying check if its SATA or not(you can check by the type of cable it uses), and you have to install all the drivers manually after adding an OS...

i just recently updated my PC aswell

512 RAM --> 4GB RAM
    80gb HD --> 500gb HD

also note that when buying a new HD you must buy a new copy of windows XP, Windows Vista....

i have to say getting a new HD is cheaper then buying a new PC and better, and i couldnt be happier with the performance i am getting biw... no more error messages and shit :\

evilwevel

also note that when buying a new HD you must buy a new copy of windows XP, Windows Vista....[/b]
    i don't get that. just use the old HDD for windows and the new for everything else.

Banned

i don't get that. just use the old HDD for windows and the new for everything else.[/b]
    asuming he only has room for one HD... and your computer will perform better...

shankster

no you don't just use the same key to install, and activate by phone, say your hard drive crashed and you reinstalled windows and its saying your key is in use, they will activate it for you.

Banned

no you don't just use the same key to install, and activate by phone, say your hard drive crashed and you reinstalled windows and its saying your key is in use, they will activate it for you.[/b]

can i use both keys at same time? like i have a spare hard drive with a virus, could i use the same key from the windows im using now... and have them both working? or would only one work?

shankster

most likely, they issue you a new key

Call me Ghosty Senior Member SuperGhost's Avatar

can i use both keys at same time? like i have a spare hard drive with a virus, could i use the same key from the windows im using now... and have them both working? or would only one work?[/b]

Why go thru all that hassle... Drive imaging ftw?

evilwevel

can i use both keys at same time? like i have a spare hard drive with a virus, could i use the same key from the windows im using now... and have them both working? or would only one work?[/b]
    you can re-use your key 3 times (when you've formatted or something like that) after that you can still use it, but you'll have to call Microsoft, give your key and say you formatted your HDD, they give you some code and then your windows is validated again.

takes about 40 seconds to call them and ask for the code.

you can re-use your key 3 times (when you've formatted or something like that) after that you can still use it, but you'll have to call Microsoft, give your key and say you formatted your HDD, they give you some code and then your windows is validated again.

takes about 40 seconds to call them and ask for the code.[/b]
    Unless the robot can't understand you for some reason and you have to repeat the number they give you 3x times, only to have to repeat again to the person you get in contact with xD

^ Happened once to me, When I had a sore throat xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast