Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

After reading this i learned that half of the world is dumb

This is a discussion on After reading this i learned that half of the world is dumb within the Media forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by Gaudior actually it is 2 then, yes, but we're typing into computers now so it can't be ...
Page: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudior View Post
    actually it is 2 then, yes, but we're typing into computers now so it can't be on other way =) that pretty much shows that the math is relative too, just like everything

How on earth can maths be relative?.........if it was how would we know Terminal Velocity is 9.81 metres per second instead of 500? or that 2 + 2 = 4 and not 5? You're bringing this WAY out of proportion mate.
    Last edited by fugar; 04-09-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fugar View Post
    So you just blatantly self-contradicted your gazillion posts before this stating that the answer was 288... Get your priorities sorted.

The answer is 2, fuck linear bs and computer based calculations, there can ONLY be ONE definitive answer in maths for every equation.
    Which is 288

Original equation:
    48÷2(9+3)= 288
    Confused people's equation:
    48÷(2(9+3)) = 2

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    Which is 288

Original equation:
    48÷2(9+3)= 288
    Confused people's equation:
    48÷(2(9+3)) = 2
    Original quote from a math teacher:

48/2(12)
    48/24

EDIT: Its definatly 2, brackets have presidence over the equation meaning you solve the internals of them and multiply them out before doing the division. Type it into a scientific calculator and it will say 2!!
    Source(s):
    Math Teacher!!

Sorry guys but i rather believe an actual certified math teacher than people who play knight online >_>

There *are* no brackets though.

Another quote:

Just fyi, how I was taught back in the day, to interpret with a vinculum there is a difference between a/b(c+d) and a/b * (c+d)

EDIT: Especially seeing if the latter was intended in papers it would probably be written a(c+d)/b
    sooooo, what he's saying is if the question was 48÷2*(9+3) then yes, it would equal 288 as it would be interpreted as (48÷2)(9+3) or 48(9+3)/2.

However, since the question is 48÷2(9+3), it should be interpreted as 48÷[2(9+3)]..which is 2

BTW remember teachers told us to not always rely on calculators and more on actual theories since calculators can and will interpret certain data incorrectly...and i think this applies perfectly to this problem considering half the world who use calculators disagrees on the other half who use hand-based mathematics as to which the correct answer is.

FACT:
    the / was used as a grouping bar in older textbooks (1970's/80's), but since the advent of computer-based mathematics has come to be treated like a regular division sign.

I think it depends on what is meant by the symbol /.

If the symbol / is solely an indication of the binary division operator, sometimes also written ÷, then the rule that all multiplications and divisions are performed together, working left-to-right, applies (that is, a/bc should be taken to mean abc). If, however, the symbol / is a vinculum (and, despite what Wikipedia says there, I have heard people use "vinculum" in the non-horizontal case) indicating division and grouping simultaneously, then a/bc should be taken to mean abc.

However, if the latter sense is intended, I would expect the vinculum to appear bigger than a standard slash (in fact, at least for me, MathJax typesets $/$ to appear slightly bigger than a standard /) and I would also expect the "numerator" to be offset higher and the "demoninator" to be offset lower, e.g. a/bc

I suspect that the predominant interpretation at the moment is the former, that / is equivalent to ÷. I also know that on some earlier-model graphing calculators from Texas Instruments (the TI-81, I believe; none from the TI-82 onward), the latter interpretation was used (e.g., the input 8/2*2 would return 2).
    Last edited by fugar; 04-09-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    There *are* no brackets though.
    Not visually, but there is a set of brackets.

I'm saying what the answer is based off of how it's written. If you want to interpret what it says differently that's up to you. The interpretation is the only reason you think it's two - because it's quite clear
    48/2*12 = 288

Also:
    Nowhere was I ever taught that 4(15) was different than 4*15.

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore.

_.-~=FackaBitch=~-._ Senior Member Gaudior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fugar View Post
    Another quote:

sooooo, what he's saying is if the question was 48÷2*(9+3) then yes, it would equal 288 as it would be interpreted as (48÷2)(9+3) or 48(9+3)/2.

However, since the question is 48÷2(9+3), it should be interpreted as 48÷[2(9+3)]..which is 2
    if you take a parenthesis like this: 48/2(9+3)-> 48/[2(9+3)] you change the divisor which is not an equivalent transformation and it changes the outcome.
    Still: linear form: 48/2(9+3)
    Normal form:
    48 *(9+3)

linear form: 48/[2(9+3)]
    Normal form:
    2(9+3)

that's why you get 288 by any calculators(even mine says that) because it's the way you have to write it in linear form. If you don't even bother trying to understand what we're about to say to you then it's a barren and pointless discussion.

Edit: just look at this:
    48/2*12/2*80/5 in your way of thinking the answer would be... huh? I don't even know because you can't use that here. The answer is 24*6*16=2304 And it's also the same if you take parenthesis like this: (48/2)(12/2)(80/5) because the multiplication is associative. But if you take parenthesis like this: 48/[2*12/2*80/5] the answer is 0,25=1/4. So you CAN'T take that freaking parenthesis there
    Last edited by Gaudior; 04-09-2011 at 03:22 AM.

LOL funny shit how ko4life forums are arguing about a math problem even tho the real problem here is ppl thinking 2 different ways..

Haters gonna hate Senior Member MushtMan's Avatar

fugar... if you wanna start quoting math teachers I can go through those 74 pages again and find multiple places where people asked their math teacher (even took photos of when he solved it) that shows it's 288.

Basically let's sum up the 2 views.

2 view:

- You are saying Parenthesis means also multiplying exactly what's outside of the brackets, even AFTER you have dealt with the inside.

288 view:

- PEDMAS, after we do (9+3) we are DONE with the brackets and now move onto M+D from left to right.

Parenthesis is the inside.

[quote=bknight;2827821]1. 48/2(9+3)
    2. 48/2(12)
    3. 48/2 x 12
    4. 24 x 12
    5. 288

1. 48/[2(9+3)]
    2. 48/[2(12)]
    3. 48/[2 x 12]
    4. 48/24
    5. 2

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    so...im just going to keep bumping this until people understand what "inside parenthesis means" and for people to stop googling the order of operations
    "PEMDAS" and thinking they understand how it works.
    bump again....people still havent passed math class.

Banned Senior Member

Lol

gonna have to change my view

Brought my genius GF into the debate and she says it's 288

Understand this girl went to a science school and learned calculus at 9 years old.

So, im wrong. But that's ok, so are half of you lol

"R attack only noob"
    "use skills zzzzzzz"

you just gotta believe its there.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. Hits: 239
    04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
  2. Hits: 1
    03-15-2013, 01:55 AM
  3. Hits: 3
    01-12-2013, 12:58 AM