Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

After reading this i learned that half of the world is dumb

This is a discussion on After reading this i learned that half of the world is dumb within the Media forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by Gaudior if you take a parenthesis like this: 48/2(9+3)-> 48/[2(9+3)] you change the divisor which is not ...
Page: 11

_.-~=FackaBitch=~-._ Senior Member Gaudior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudior View Post
    if you take a parenthesis like this: 48/2(9+3)-> 48/[2(9+3)] you change the divisor which is not an equivalent transformation and it changes the outcome.
    Still: linear form: 48/2(9+3)
    Normal form:
    48 *(9+3)

linear form: 48/[2(9+3)]
    Normal form:
    2(9+3)

that's why you get 288 by any calculators(even mine says that) because it's the way you have to write it in linear form. If you don't even bother trying to understand what we're about to say to you then it's a barren and pointless discussion.

Edit: just look at this:
    48/2*12/2*80/5 in your way of thinking the answer would be... huh? I don't even know because you can't use that here. The answer is 24*6*16=2304 And it's also the same if you take parenthesis like this: (48/2)(12/2)(80/5) because the multiplication is associative. But if you take parenthesis like this: 48/[2*12/2*80/5] the answer is 0,25=1/4. So you CAN'T take that freaking parenthesis there

Would you guys just read the topic before posting? I've proved it multiple times already. Just look at my example. How would you solve this: 48/2*12/2*80/5 or I see you like the parenthesis that much: 48/2*(9+3)/2*(40+40)/(3+2) just read my quote and If you still don't belive that 48/2*12=288... I can't help anymore...

[]D [] []V[] []D Senior Member T_rey's Avatar

PS: Bknight 6 × (5 + 3)= 30+18 = 48 *Simplify by distributing

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post

Do things in Parentheses First. Example:

6 × (5 + 3)=6 × 8=

6 × (5 + 3) =30 + 3=

Exponents (Powers, Roots) before Multiply, Divide, Add or Subtract. Example:

5 × 22=5 × 4=

5 × 22=102=

Multiply or Divide before you Add or Subtract. Example:

2 + 5 × 3=2 + 15=

2 + 5 × 3 =7 × 3=

Otherwise just go left to right. Example:

30 ÷ 5 × 3 =6 × 3=

30 ÷ 5 × 3 =30 ÷ 15=
    Great example, of nothing. How about you find on that site one that actually works like this problem?

THE 2 IS PART OF THE PARENTHESES, IN ORDER TO SIMPLIFY IT YOU MUST FIRST DISTRIBUTE THE 2. THERE IS NO FIGHTING THAT FACT, PLEASE ASK ANY MATH TEACHER YOU WANT.

PEMDAS Is in affect the whole time, you guys just really don't understand the question, and basic mathematical rules. The distributive property wasn't made just so people could use it here and there, its always in use, so stop overlooking it.

@ Gaudier, again, your completely changing what the question is asking you.
    Last edited by T_rey; 04-11-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T_rey View Post
    @ Gaudier, again, your completely changing what the question is asking you.
    Of course not... then solve me this: 48/2*(9+3)/2*80/5

Android Man Senior Member E Mon's Avatar

I asked my math teacher todat about it
    he told me do brackets first then divide then multiply
    so bracket is 12
    and divide is 24
    then multiply will be 24x12 = 288

Of course not... then solve me this: 48/2*(9+3)/2*80/5
    Your turning the numbers into fractions, which isn't what the original question is doing. The 2 and the parentheses are together, not the 48 and the 2.

@ E_Mon, no shit thats what he told you, because thats what you do, however I bet you didn't explain the question and show him there was a distributor.

Your turning the numbers into fractions, which isn't what the original question is doing. The 2 and the parentheses are together, not the 48 and the 2.

@ E_Mon, no shit thats what he told you, because thats what you do, however I bet you didn't explain the question and show him there was a distributor.
    would you just solve me that already? I tought it's not that hard.

would you just solve me that already? I tought it's not that hard.
    Oh, I didn't actually think you were being serious, well since you have them set up in fractions it goes as this.

48/2*(9+3)/2*80/5

24*6*16

AGAIN nothing like the original question, so why even bother?

Banned Senior Member

Lol why are you getting mad?

It's pretty easy if you think about it a little more instead of being stubborn.

Even his teacher made it as simple as it could be, and you still dont see it.

There is no "explaining" the problem, it's there for all to see and therefore can only be 1 definate answer:

Code:
    48÷2(9+3)
    (24)*(12)
    =288
    You are seeing things that are not there.

This is PRE-ALGREBRA math. Anyone who says the answer is 2 has not passed pre-algebra, which is the simplest form of math you can take in college. Not bashing on your education, but you looking at this problem the wrong way. I cant explain it further, im not good at teaching.

I'm getting to know what your problem is... You should read this:

it's right but we're doing it in linear form now so by any computer or calculator you'll get 288 because 48/2(9+3)=/=48/(2(9+3)) but 48/2(9+3)=48*(9+3)/2 this form is linear because you can't type fractions so it goes by the following:
    [(divident)/(divisor)]*(multiplier)=[(divident)*(multiplier)]/(divisor)

Edit: the computer doesn't know what belongs to the divisor after 48/... so you must use parenthesis to clear that. If you don't use them then the computer will take the number right after the division mark as divisor so if you write this 48/2(9+3) it will divide with 2 and then multiply with 12. But if you take parenthesis (2(9+3)) it'll know that the divisor is 2(9+3)=24... That's it.

I'm getting to know what your problem is... You should read this:
    Your still reading the question completely wrong. I know nothing I say is going to change your view, until someone with higher authority tells you.

The question thats being asked isn't

2 * (9+3)

Its actually

2(9+3)

You should stop using a calculator and start using your head when it comes to math, calculators aren't always right.

EDIT: This topic was fun while it lasted, but now its just repetitive and if I see PEMDAS one more time I'm hanging a kitten. Yall have a good luck throughout your mathematical journey's!

Your still reading the question completely wrong. I know nothing I say is going to change your view, until someone with higher authority tells you.

The question thats being asked isn't

2 * (9+3)

Its actually

2(9+3)

You should stop using a calculator and start using your head when it comes to math, calculators aren't always right.
    It's not only the calculator but even I say that you must clear what the divisor is if you write in linear form. If you don't take parenthesis like this 48/(2*12) then the answer won't be 2 because here 48/2*12 you must take the 2 as a divisor since in linear form you don't know what the difference is between this:
    *(9+3)
    and this:
    2(9+3)

to make this clear in linear form you must take a parenthesis, after the division mark, around the numbers you want to be as divisor

Banned Senior Member

I dont think he's even reading your posts.

PEMDAS!

<--- dog lover.

btw, minos you said it was 2 before so does that mean ur not passed pre algrebra (in your own words)?

Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaleet View Post
    PEMDAS!

<--- dog lover.

btw, minos you said it was 2 before so does that mean ur not passed pre algrebra (in your own words)?
    Lol, no it means I was trolling

I can see why people think it's 2 though, but they're over-thinking it.

I love the trollin'

We all know the answer is 2 tho right?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. Hits: 239
    04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
  2. Hits: 1
    03-15-2013, 01:55 AM
  3. Hits: 3
    01-12-2013, 12:58 AM
  4. Hits: 763
    08-16-2011, 02:00 PM