This guide help me alot, so...
Originally posted by Devile
After all those movies lately, quite some ppl been asking me how I do them. Here a basic tutorial on how to do them with sound.
1. U need FRAPS, DivX Create Bundle, Virtualdub and LAME mp3 ACM codec:
http://mitiok.maresweb.de/lame-3.96.1.zip <-- direct link
2. Install FRAPS, install DivX (tho i think u need the registered version to create movies, not sure), unpack Virtualdub somewhere. Unpack LAME mp3 encoder, go to ACM directory and right click the LameACM.inf, click install. That will install the LAME ACM encoder so Virtualdub can compress audio beyond 56Kbps.
3. FRAPS shareware version allows only 30 secs of movie recording. If u want more, u will have to pay for it. Also u need some decent hardware to be able to play at least with 30FPS and record, if not your FPS will go down and movie wont be good. Be sure to check Half-size, 30 fps, Record sound and Detect best sound input in the Movies tab of Fraps. Start recording.
4. After recording, u will have a big AVI file. Few minutes of recording can go for gigabytes in harddrive. It should have all game sounds (unless u play without sound) and even ventrilo/teamspeak conversations. If movie doesnt have sound, you should check your game, ventrilo, FRAPS or soundcard config. Run Virtualdub and open the file u just made. First thing to do is remove audio. Go to Audio tab and click No audio. Then go to Video tab, Compression, select DivX 6.0 Codec (or the codec u wanna use) and click configure.
5. Inside DivX enconder config, u can choose whatever u want, but what I use for decent quality and not so big filesize is this:
I resize movies always to 640x480 with 1537Kbps bitrate. This was the first pass so I used Multipass 1st pass. I'm no video expert, so dont ask me about the other options. I just leave them to defaults.
6. Now the compression. Press F7 and choose a name for your compressed movie and click "Don't run this job now; add it to job control so I can run it in batch mode". It's important to click that option.
7. This was the first pass, so now we do other passes and add the sound in the last pass. Go again to Video, Compression, DivX 6.0 Codec. This time click on Multipass Nth pass. Click OK to all and press F7 again. Same name chosen on step 6 and click again "Don't run this job now; add it to job control so I can run it in batch mode". Do this as many times as u want, but 2 will be good enough.
8. On the last pass, go to Audio and click on Source Audio and Full processing mode. Go again to Audio and click Compression. There u will see the LAME codec, pick whatever u want. Is a movie, so 128Kbps bitrate will be good enough. Click OK to all and press F7, same filename and same "Don't run this blah blah blah" option checked.
9. Press F4 and click start. Go watch a movie or something. The longer the movie and the amount of passes, the longer will take to compress the movie.
10. When whole thing is over, u will have a DivX enconded movie with sound. U can use that later on with Adobe Premiere to add effects, music, etc. or Windows Movie Maker. Premiere for Pros tho