Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to compress FRAPS movies - by Devile

This is a discussion on How to compress FRAPS movies - by Devile within the Media forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; This guide help me alot, so... Originally posted by Devile After all those movies lately, quite some ppl been asking ...
Page: 1

_merchant_

Default How to compress FRAPS movies - by Devile

This guide help me alot, so...

Originally posted by Devile
    After all those movies lately, quite some ppl been asking me how I do them. Here a basic tutorial on how to do them with sound.

1. U need FRAPS, DivX Create Bundle, Virtualdub and LAME mp3 ACM codec:

http://www.fraps.com/download.php
    http://www.divx.com/divx/create/
    http://www.virtualdub.org/
    http://lame.sourceforge.net/ *
    http://mitiok.maresweb.de/lame-3.96.1.zip <-- direct link

2. Install FRAPS, install DivX (tho i think u need the registered version to create movies, not sure), unpack Virtualdub somewhere. Unpack LAME mp3 encoder, go to ACM directory and right click the LameACM.inf, click install. That will install the LAME ACM encoder so Virtualdub can compress audio beyond 56Kbps.

3. FRAPS shareware version allows only 30 secs of movie recording. If u want more, u will have to pay for it. Also u need some decent hardware to be able to play at least with 30FPS and record, if not your FPS will go down and movie wont be good. Be sure to check Half-size, 30 fps, Record sound and Detect best sound input in the Movies tab of Fraps. Start recording.

4. After recording, u will have a big AVI file. Few minutes of recording can go for gigabytes in harddrive. It should have all game sounds (unless u play without sound) and even ventrilo/teamspeak conversations. If movie doesnt have sound, you should check your game, ventrilo, FRAPS or soundcard config. Run Virtualdub and open the file u just made. First thing to do is remove audio. Go to Audio tab and click No audio. Then go to Video tab, Compression, select DivX 6.0 Codec (or the codec u wanna use) and click configure.

5. Inside DivX enconder config, u can choose whatever u want, but what I use for decent quality and not so big filesize is this:

I resize movies always to 640x480 with 1537Kbps bitrate. This was the first pass so I used Multipass 1st pass. I'm no video expert, so dont ask me about the other options. I just leave them to defaults.

6. Now the compression. Press F7 and choose a name for your compressed movie and click "Don't run this job now; add it to job control so I can run it in batch mode". It's important to click that option.

7. This was the first pass, so now we do other passes and add the sound in the last pass. Go again to Video, Compression, DivX 6.0 Codec. This time click on Multipass Nth pass. Click OK to all and press F7 again. Same name chosen on step 6 and click again "Don't run this job now; add it to job control so I can run it in batch mode". Do this as many times as u want, but 2 will be good enough.

8. On the last pass, go to Audio and click on Source Audio and Full processing mode. Go again to Audio and click Compression. There u will see the LAME codec, pick whatever u want. Is a movie, so 128Kbps bitrate will be good enough. Click OK to all and press F7, same filename and same "Don't run this blah blah blah" option checked.

9. Press F4 and click start. Go watch a movie or something. The longer the movie and the amount of passes, the longer will take to compress the movie.

10. When whole thing is over, u will have a DivX enconded movie with sound. U can use that later on with Adobe Premiere to add effects, music, etc. or Windows Movie Maker. Premiere for Pros tho

SirKnight

good guide by Devile, i think he will stick it

necro_

great guide, helped me out alot,

cheerz

hej

Yea only change to Xvid =)

Robs0n

Thank u very much i was looking this long time

bleaF

When i click F4 and then start the first 1 it says Done or something the other 1/2 gets "Error" ? :S

DarkNeZz

the guide can use some Virtual dub - its easy maybe ill write it later

:Chris

Default Vdub is quick and easy

First, make sure you have xvid (http://www.xvid.org) and Virtual Dub (http://www.virtualdub.org)

Open up Virtual Dub and if you use audio you can follow Deville's method of improving the sound, I dont think its quite needed since the sound isnt really "that" important.

Step one, (for me anyways) Turn Off the Sound

Step two, Select Normal Recompress

Now, I compress with xvid and then I put the video's into Windows Movie Maker.
    So, then goto the Compress... Screen and Select Xvid with standard settings

Now you want to open the Job Control, if your like me you have tons of video's set aside to be compressed at once, I usually make a folder and date it so I can remember where the videos I've taken are.

Now you want to select the entire Directory to be Compressed. Goto Edit -> Process Directory...

Select the Correct Directory and it will ask you where you want to place the video's.

and then click start and walk away, usually I go until my hard drive is full and then I'll set it to run the batch overnight.

Hope this helps someone, PM me if you need help with anything.

ManZle

i cant find any ACM.inf to install it with right-click :wacko:

maybe anybody can help me?

Sorry to seem ignorant but wasnt this made my Minotaur on official KO forums?

If so can you point out where you gave him credit for it?

MustangCobra12.04

cant find acm.inf

TimtoN_

what now ?

theres already a link to that guide under Media>Links (by Eric)

TimtoN_

Originally posted by MeeP
    damn ur smart

Originally posted by TimtoN_+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimtoN_)</div>
    Originally posted by MeeP@
    damn ur smart[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-R0bs0n

Thank u very much i was looking this long time

damn your dumb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast