Apostrophe Usage

This is a discussion on Apostrophe Usage within the Off Topic forums, part of the Entertainment category; http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/gram...actsheet1.shtml [/b] #1 Apostrophes show you that some letters have been taken out of a word to shorten it. Do ...
Page: 1

Psy

#1 Apostrophes show you that some letters have been taken out of a word to shorten it.

Do not becomes don't.
    I will becomes I'll.
    Could have becomes could've.
    The apostrophe goes where the letters have been removed.
    You use apostrophes this way in informal writing. You should not shorten words when you are writing formal letters.
    NOTE - sometimes words are shortened in an irregular way. The apostrophe, however, is still used to show where letters are missing.
    E.G: Will not becomes won't.

# Apostrophes show you that something belongs to something else. To show belonging you add 's

The cat's tail - says that the tail belongs to the cat.
    The car's lights - says that the lights belong to the car.
    Tony's hair - says that the hair belongs to Tony.

Usually the apostrophe goes before the s.
    If the owner already ends in s then the apostrophe goes after the s that is already there. You just need to add an apostrophe. Eg:

The dogs' bowls - says that the bowls belong to some dogs.
    The boys' coats - says that the coats belong to some boys.
    The cars' wheels - says that the wheels belong to some cars.

Watch out for plurals that don't end in s. Words like men and children don't end in s, but they are talking about lots of people. These words use 's to show possession. E.G:

The men's hats - says that the hats belong to the men.
    The women's house - says that the house belongs to the women.

Banned Senior Member

and?

5DollahSuckySucky

so? some people like their cucumbers pickled

Psy

Originally posted by phantomlink
    1&2. Also how many people went through a few ps3's at launch compared to the 360's that kept breaking?

3. I remember that now.... I did get Pm's tho

4. And GM's cant become a tower to kill people, they just spawn a tower which follows the GM
    I am not claiming that you care about your own folly or that this would even qualify as an intervention to you; I'm only displaying to the public the credibility of people who do not care about small stuff like this.

ITS THE INTERNET fuck gramar i remember i turned in an app and the asshole called me back saying you do know that its proper something to use grammar while filling out ur application . i jus told him i dont get unemployment if i dont send this shit out lol was a shitty job neways and my dad told me i needed a job even tho i had more money then his broke ass at the time

havvvk

ITS THE INTERNET fuck gramar i remember i turned in an app and the asshole called me back saying you do know that its proper something to use grammar while filling out ur application . i jus told him i dont get unemployment if i dont send this shit out lol was a shitty job neways and my dad told me i needed a job even tho i had more money then his broke ass at the time[/b]

Ahh.. The American Dream...